The Struggle is Real

Beau Vine

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Appreciation is not hard to find at all, with the exception of people in dying towns that can’t mobilize. $200K to $500K is abnormal, but $400K to $500K is not. The key is not to move to Prosper, but instead buy in the M Streets, Lakewood or Briarwood. 

Yeah, this.  

When it comes to housing, always ask yourself this one question.  "Who is going to buy my house when I sell it?"  Describe that buyer, what their needs are, and what the market will look like.  Premium real estate always appreciates better.  It's premium for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m familiar with the large swaths of America you speak of. The fact is, the vast majority of people live in these large(r) metro areas, where home appreciation is within reach. I’ve said there are exceptions, but, it living in a small town has its advantages, cost of living being cheap is the most distinct. I’m not sure what you mean with “The only factor that matters is land availability”.  

Jesus fuck man. Did you even read the article. 

The entire building is engulfed in flames and you guys are arguing whether to buy American Standard or Grohe for the bathroom fixtures. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m familiar with the large swaths of America you speak of. The fact is, the vast majority of people live in these large(r) metro areas, where home appreciation is within reach. I’ve said there are exceptions, but, it living in a small town has its advantages, cost of living being cheap is the most distinct. I’m not sure what you mean with “The only factor that matters is land availability”.  

Housing prices always go up...

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

In the right areas, over time?  Yes. They always, always go up. Not sure what point you’re trying to make. 

You should probably do some research into the economy.  People believed in 05’ drop all other investments and get the new alwsome house...  my only point is do not put all ur eggs in one basket. 

My argument has always been don’t treat your home as your Nestegg invest in other things.  

Edited by SDG

• 4 weeks later...

The middle-class dream is moving beyond millennial reach

BiF5vA6KeYyQ67DwZlBaDvcaFPYBHgbeHdKdybMN

Years of low income growth and increasing prices have made the "squeezed middle" a reality for many, with new research showing young people’s prospects are among the hardest hit.

The middle class is shrinking in most countries and represents an out-of-reach dream for younger generations, according to the OECD’s report Under Pressure: The Squeezed Middle Class. Just 60% of millennials – people born between 1983 and 2002 – are part of middle-income households in their twenties, compared with almost 70% of baby boomers.

aPOGc5ay6wxPISPONSvSLeePLuQQlomXAWXWlP1i

“Slow progress in living standards and widening inequality have contributed to political polarization and erosion of social cohesion in many advanced and emerging economies,” the report says. “This has led to the emergence of a worldwide consensus on the need for a more inclusive and sustainable model of growth and development that promotes high living standards for all.”

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/04/middle-class-dream-out-of-reach-millennials/

On 3/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know many people in Houston suburbs that see appreciation in low single digits. There are exceptions but that is usually due to unexpected external factors like a major employer(s) moving into the area.  The Woodlands is a great example. Otherwise large appreciation is mainly in central Houston.

Yes, suburbs are built for cheap and don't really hold up over time. Stick builds.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, immamac said:

This is what I did and it's worked out really well for me. Even though I don't live in the house anymore it's got a positive cash flow monthly and is an incredible appreciating asset that anchors my portfolio. Working on getting the rest of my life in order and breaking my wife from her families legacy of living hand to mouth with high income and a huge inheritance to fall back on. We aren't planning for any type of windfall and I hope we don't get one from either side. I'm very happy with our new home and I think we got really lucky on timing from an investment standpoint the bummer is I don't know if I'll be able to mentally justify staying here since I very much view all property as investment. Once it appreciates enough and then slows down on the theoretical return it'll definitely suck to not be able to put that equity to work in a better way. 

I'll echo something though I don't know how people do 45% DTI houses that's insanity unless you live off of ramen and don't need a car or something. People treating houses like their 401k. 

Things I would probably do over are definitely car payments and how evil they are.

Most if not all of what you say is absolutely true. I've benefited similarly in terms of appreciation. The only word of caution is that we've been in a forty year debt cycle where the fed has been pumping free money into the economy. Ten years ago the bubble tried to pop, they reinflated it. They've kept reinflating it. They will keep doing it until they blow it up all the way.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-10-at-3.58.45-PM.png