u20 Men's World Cup - Poland

pacman

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Thanks for that. Never too early to start drinking.

Had some Trader Joe's Linguini w/Clam Sauce and some white wine for breakfast about 9:30am Mountain Time.

Not usually a day drinker, but it looked good in the freezer & fridge (respectively).

52 minutes ago, pacman said:

Reached the quarters of 3 straight u20 world cups? Where are those players now and how has it not translated to success for the senior team? 

Tyler Adams is in the Gold Cup, as is Tripp, Areola (?), CCV, Miazga, GK.... Sargent is sitting at home or getting another tattoo.

45 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Well the 2017 guys are still relatively young and most of the time the U20 World Cup doesn't yield a TON of players to the senior team. The French team that won in 2013 put two starters on the 2018 World Cup team (Pogba, Umtiti)

I would guess that that 2013 squad had at least 10 players who played in the 2016 World Cup for various countries. 

The French Football Federation produced the most players participating in the 2016 World Cup by a large margin. I think that it was something in the 30s. [Will now research.]

CORRECTION:

The many colors of Les Bleus

Fifty French-born players appear on World Cup rosters, the most of any country. (Brazil is second with 28.)

50 fucking players who played in the World Cup. That 2013 U-20 squad might have had 15 players playing in Russia, if not more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/world-cup-countries-of-birth/?utm_term=.4cf7cc81c119

30 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Golazo from Ecuador :(

29 minutes ago, pacman said:

Wtf! Kind of defending was that...slowest windup to shoot i have ever seen and yet no defensive pressure 

I played defense most of the time from the age of 6, in large part because I would play my ass off even if I wasn't likely to score AND because I always did what my coaches told me to do.

I never once remember a coach telling me to "Duck out of the way like a bitch if someone fires on the goal from 27 yards out."

Unfortunately that's exactly what the USA's #13 did on that goal and the keeper never had a chance.

22 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

goddamn another good chance for the US but Soto can't get to it

Soto was offside even if he had gotten to that ball.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Apparently the Ecuadorian was behind the ball?

23 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Yep, he was behind the ball. Fuck.

The whole body doesn't even have to be onside, just a part of the body that can be used to score. (So hands/arms don't count.)

It was obvious from the start that he feet were well onside by a yard or more, but his Head & Lead Shoulder were the parts of his body in question.

The fact that you only need to be BEHIND THE BALL rather than also behind 2 defenders seemed to shock the announcer. Why they have fucking retards announcing sports that they know nothing about is beyond me, but I blame FOX. He really thought, even after the image that shows the player CLEARLY BEHIND THE BALL that there would be some controversy over whether the goal scorer was offsides or not.

Before the image, I understand, but even after seeing the image he felt that there would be discussion over whether the player was offsides... What a fucking idiot!