The Cable Guy

Sbbruin

I was a kid when this came out and not ready for it. Expectations were this was going to be a Jim Carrey vehicle like Ace Ventura which was my favorite movie at the time and my pre-teen brain wasn't ready for Jim Carrey's turn into darker comedy. It took me a couple of years and viewings to grow into this one and now I think it's his best work.

The grossest/worst was I love you Phillip Morris which I started to watch on Netflix.

Edited by Rougarou

On 6/6/2019 at 8:02 AM, MAUFRAIS said:

Maybe Skip writes in his spare time?

I always assumed it was a pen name, possibly for Stiller.

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/27/movies/how-a-sure-summer-hit-missed.html

“Sometime in early 1995, Lou Holtz Jr., a prosecutor in the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office, completed his first screenplay, a comedy called "The Cable Guy," and sent it to some friends who are producers. They introduced him to two agents, Tom Strickler and Ari Emanuel, at the fledgling Endeavor Agency.”

Different guy 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:59 AM, Rougarou said:

I was a kid when this came out and not ready for it. Expectations were this was going to be a Jim Carrey vehicle like Ace Ventura which was my favorite movie at the time and my pre-teen brain wasn't ready for Jim Carrey's turn into darker comedy. It took me a couple of years and viewings to grow into this one and now I think it's his best work.

The grossest/worst was I love you Phillip Morris which I started to watch on Netflix.

I think this movie was one of those rare flicks that gets better the more you watch it.  I didn’t walk out of the theater thinking I had just watched a masterpiece, but over time realized I had.