Mechanized Death: New Weapons that have been/are in development

The U.S. Air Force now has a portable, inexpensive (relatively) weapon that can knock swarms of drones out of the sky:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/21/18701267/us-air-force-thor-new-weapon-drone-swarms

Hypersonic missiles fly 15 times the speed of sound and are deadly accurate:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/magazine/hypersonic-missiles.html?fallback=0&recId=1N6UoJYKYLTcaiLztE9KvB2qXi7&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=TX&recAlloc=top_conversion&geoCountry=US&blockId=most-popular&imp_id=111826386&action=click&module=trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

It makes me wonder what could be accomplished were all that brainpower and all that money and all those resources dedicated to something other than killing our fellow humans.

17 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It makes me wonder what could be accomplished were all that brainpower and all that money and all those resources dedicated to something other than killing our fellow humans.

Figure out to eliminate warfare from the human experience, and people will stop trying to come up with more efficient killing machines. Seems simple enough.

Edited by Blotto

22 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This dilemma was what prompted me to leave defense research for commercial applications.  I was actually comforted by the fact that the shit we came up with was so sci-fi that it had little chance of deployment in decades.

32 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

giphy.gif

what are the odds that this, filmed by an F-18 mounted infrared camera, is actually one of ours ?  That rotation maneuver looks so...human. 

Anyway, non-combustion engine propulsion would be a game changer for advocates of saving the planet as well as for those bent on world subjugation and domination.  Take your pick.