2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

TCU is awful. None of those sets were every really in doubt and that was with us giving them free points all night from the service line. 

Agreed....always playing down to the competition. 

It's been awhile since I've seen a Texas team consistently dismantle opponents that they should without struggling. 

31 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Agreed....always playing down to the competition. 

It's been awhile since I've seen a Texas team consistently dismantle opponents that they should without struggling. 

Youth maybe, exacerbating the usual entitlement/Elliott problem?

But we've been playing pretty lackadaisical since BYU.  

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Youth maybe, exacerbating the usual entitlement/Elliott problem?

But we've been playing pretty lackadaisical since BYU.  

A lot of loose points and terrible serving errors for Texas tonight...  Agree with your comments in re to lackadaisical and youth as possible issues.

But also working thru injuries and finding the right line-ups and rotations might be part of the team's struggles as well.  Lots of areas need to be tightened up quickly.  Not sure about leadership on this team either... players don't seem to be bothered by their poor execution and horrible serving??

Ton of talent... hope they keep improving and learn to play a lot better together.  🤘

11 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

I can understand why she's not diving to get balls about to hit the floor (b/c of her stitches), but 7 hitting errors along with her service errors is bad. 

Her passing has been very good!  

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Micaya would be the logical leader, but she just doesn't seem to have it.

She's never had or had to be that person.  Because she had other people carrying that leadership mantle like Yazzie, Ebony, Chiaka, Cat and MoJo.  

Just now, Js1 said:

She's never had or had to be that person.  Because she had other people carrying that leadership mantle like Yazzie, Ebony, Chiaka, Cat and MoJo.  

I don't disagree, but she could have seized that mantle, or a portion of it, last year, but failed to do so.

It's just not her "personality" or whatever.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't disagree, but she could have seized that mantle, or a portion of it, last year, but failed to do so.

It's just not her "personality" or whatever.

She's also the player who made a really stupid offseason decision.  

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She's also the player who made a really stupid offseason decision.  

Yeah, and I think that is reflective of her "personality" moreso than disqualifying her for leadership.

Looking back at it, Yaazie was last year's obvious leader, but didn't have enough playing time to lead real effectively.  We've been kind of leaderless since Cat left.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, and I think that is reflective of her "personality" moreso than disqualifying her for leadership.

Looking back at it, Yaazie was last year's obvious leader, but didn't have enough playing time to lead real effectively.  We've been kind of leaderless since Cat left.

This is true.  Your leader should be a 6 rotation OH or libero or setter.  Someone who is on the court the majority of the set. 

14 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

I'd like to see Molly playing in Asjia's spot.  I just haven't seen Asjia producing well at M1...she's been having misconnections running the slide and is late/lost closing the blocks.

I was thinking on this today.  I'd be perfectly happy with Phillips/Butler in the middle. 

O'Neal is the better hitter (.391 hitting) compared to Phillips (.327) but Phillips (1.13 bps) is the better blocker (0.75).  You can easily get a similar hitting % out of Butler with better blocking numbers. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I was thinking on this today.  I'd be perfectly happy with Phillips/Butler in the middle. 

O'Neal is the better hitter (.391 hitting) compared to Phillips (.327) but Phillips (1.13 bps) is the better blocker (0.75).  You can easily get a similar hitting % out of Butler with better blocking numbers. 

IMO, I think Molly would be a better blocking option next to Gabriel at M1.  

Gabriel will still have Micaya in the back row and Logan at the left pin for attacking options if Molly has trouble attacking on the slide (but so far this season, Molly actually adjusts pretty well to Jhenna's back sets from the attempts she has gotten). 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

has there been any talk of shook transferring?  she's too good a player to be on the bench and can't be happy here.

I was really surprised she didn't get any playing time last night.  She came in and played really well in the A&M game. 

Even TCU was hitting over Jhenna.  Unfortunately it's a weak spot that is going to get exposed, especially against better competition. After the A&M game Elliot mentioned having Shook in, definitely made a difference with the block.

Jhenna won the job last year and Shook was mess, but I can't figure out what Elliot is doing with those 2 this year.

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

has there been any talk of shook transferring?  she's too good a player to be on the bench and can't be happy here.

Not that I have seen.  I agree with your assessment, but she seems really engaged as a bench player and, dare I say it, happier than as a full-time starter (judging from her facial expressions and body language).

Seems clear to me Elliot is only going to put in Shook when Gabriel is struggling and having an off day. The benefit of that is teams probably won’t prepare for Shook because Jenna will be starting each match regardless, but if she’s struggling then Shook gets put in which gives the offense and defense a different look 

On 10/2/2019 at 10:15 PM, Js1 said:

I wondered when anyone above us in the top 5 would lose in a way that allows us to move up.
#5 PSU 1 - #13 Wisky 3

And Wisky knocks off #2 Corn in a road sweep. You hate to see it lol

New AVCA should be:

Baylor
Tree
Pitt
Texas
Corn

Which is about what I think the top 5 seeds are as of today.  Baylor is almost a lock to host if they go 1-1 versus Texas.  If they go 0-2 or drop a different Big 12 match, they might be just outside looking in.  Think Texas is also well positioned if they go 1-1 or 2-0 versus Baylor and don't drop another match.  Tree can withstand another loss (or two) because of recency bias.  If Pitt drops a single ACC match, they are probably out in favor of the B1G winner (depending on who it is and how many losses they take in conference play). 

First RPI is out - Texas is #2 behind Baylor and ahead of #3 Tree.

Rice is #9
Minny #11
BYU #16
OU #24
ISU #25
Texas A&M #27
USC #32
TCU #63
Tech #94
WV #117
Kansas #132
KSU #199

I guess KSU will be our RPI killer, but having Baylor #1 (twice), OU and ISU in the top 25 (3 more games) will be good.