2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

With Baylor sweeping Hawaii and Pitt losing in 5 to PSU after winning @ PSU on Friday, I'd guess the new ACVA top 6 is: 

#1 Baylor (undefeated)
#2 Stanford (lost to BYU)
#3 Nebraska (lost to Tree)
#4 Pitt (split with PSU)
#5 PSU (split with Pitt)
#6 Texas (lost to Rice) 

When Jhenna left the game, LHN cameras showed her holding her arm.  She might have hurt it.  Shook's first 2 sets were horrible (bad timing and off the net).  She was money after that.

Our entire team needs to watch video of aggy #9 serving and take copious notes.

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Don’t think it will be a shitshow but we’ll have multiple conference losses. We’ll split with Baylor and then drop a couple more somewhere. 3-4 big 12 losses sounds right 

That spells shitshow.  No host, bad seed, probably lose to some midwestern mid-major.

A shitshow by our standards, anyway.

12 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Don’t think it will be a shitshow but we’ll have multiple conference losses. We’ll split with Baylor and then drop a couple more somewhere. 3-4 big 12 losses sounds right 

I really don't see these "3-4 losses".  I see 1, MAYBE 2. 

We've been looking pretty sketchy since WSU.  I mean, Texas Volleyball has always had a tendency to let down here and there, but we have played poorly for three matches straight now.  We've escaped with the W in two of them, but geez.

Also, what happened with Brianna yesterday?  Only played briefly?

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We've been looking pretty sketchy since WSU.  I mean, Texas Volleyball has always had a tendency to let down here and there, but we have played poorly for three matches straight now.  We've escaped with the W in two of them, but geez.

Also, what happened with Brianna yesterday?  Only played briefly?

Will probably bring her back slowly. She played in 2 of the 4 sets, going 1-1-3. 

The outsides got set 105 times  - 78% of our attempts.  I'm kind of at the point where if Jhenna can't or won't set our middles, she needs to sit on the bench.  

We've always played "down" to lower competition.  Dunno why.  3-1 and 3-0 is not "escaping" with a win.  And we lost to Rice in 5.   We are still the same team that swept Minnesota (who beat Tree), took Tree to 5 on their home court and beat BYU (who beat Tree). 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Will probably bring her back slowly. She played in 2 of the 4 sets, going 1-1-3. 

The outsides got set 105 times  - 78% of our attempts.  I'm kind of at the point where if Jhenna can't or won't set our middles, she needs to sit on the bench.  

We've always played "down" to lower competition.  Dunno why.  3-1 and 3-0 is not "escaping" with a win.  And we lost to Rice in 5.   We are still the same team that swept Minnesota (who beat Tree), took Tree to 5 on their home court and beat BYU (who beat Tree). 

Yeah the middles are a problem.  I'm just alarmed at the extended periods of poor play during Rice, eaTme, and last night.  While Rice appears salty and ISU is a pasty midwestern defensive team that always seems to be our kryptonite (but down two starters), better teams (TCU?  Baylor for sure) probably would have destroyed us.

Serving and passing were a little better than they were against aggy.  Blocking wasn't.  Playing Shook in the 1st set (even with a big lead) is JE's way of telling Jhenna that she's close to getting benched.  Wouldn't surprise me if Shook plays a lot more against Tech.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I really don't see these "3-4 losses".  I see 1, MAYBE 2. 

Our losses will be on the road. 8 conference road matches and we are losing @ Baylor plus @ 2 other gyms featuring opponents that play an inspired match against Texas and rattle our freshmen like they were at Rice. Fuckin Rice. 

I hope you're right though

Edited by perfectchaos007

Truly weird times we live in.

1 Baylor (54)
2 Nebraska (7)
3 Tree (1)
4 Pitt (1)
5 PSU
6 Texas
7 Minny
8 Washington
9 BYU
10 Marquette

Also ranked: 21 Rice; RV: Southern Cal, ISU

Baylor may hold that #1 ranking for at least 2 polls  - their next "test" is October 9 @ ISU.  No meeting with Texas until 10/23 and then again 11/20. 

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

No way does the committee give the Big 12 two national seeds. We gotta beat them twice 

RPI Futures is Baylor, Texas, Pitt, Tree.  That would be a hell of a top 4.  

But I agree - Big 12 won't get two.  Winner gets it, loser is on the outside looking in (probably #5).  A split and the edge probably goes to Baylor by virtue of only having one loss. 

if I had to call it today;

Big 12 winner
Tree
B1G winner between PSU and Corn
Pitt 

If Minny wins the B1G, then it opens the door to 2 Big 12 teams. 

Edited by Js1

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The question now becomes who is more likely to dump some wtf games, Baylor with their newfound prosperity or "old money" Texas.

Baylor has risen to the underdog, us against the world challenge (losing only 2 sets all year) but now has the #1 curse on them that has taken down Tree and Corn and they certainly have never had this level of success. 

Texas routinely plays down to its competition, so it is still ripe for an upset on the road in Big 12 play with how many freshman we play - Norman; Fort Worth; Ames.  Texas may also find themselves the underdog in 2 Big 12 matches for the first time since.....Nebraska was still in the conference? 

Edited by Js1

You're seeing in this TCU match why Butler was always going to start once she was healthy. She's just a completely different athlete than our other two middles and O'Neal is an above average athlete. 

Unreal athleticism. Teams have been cheating on our pins and I don't think that's going to be much of an option anymore. 

TCU has nobody that can stop her athleticism. She's 3 or 4 inches higher in the air than every TCU player. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

I often  thought Texas should run a sub where a blocking sub would come in for the setter in the front row and have Hahn set.  

They ran it with Molly coming in for Jhenna and then Hahn put up a great ball for Logan.  And then Micaya ace served to end the set. 

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Like 1