2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

I don't know about this year, but I was at Stanford last year. Less than 1/4 full and hardley anyone was even in to the match. It felt more like a women's quilting session. It was night and day different than Fox gym. They did everything but throw bottles at our players last night.

And the're going to get a similar crowd reception in the 8 road games in the Big 12, against competition thats equal or better than Rice. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

Also, they're gonna have to get used to getting everybody's best. Rice celebrated like they had just won the NCAAs... It means something to a lot of teams if they can beat Texas.

On another note, not to pour salt in the wound, but the Rice Volleyball Twitter account put out this (actually really cool) video after the win. Shows you how excited they were.

Edited by TheBryMan81

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, with three frosh on the floor a lot of the time, it is entirely possible that we hit a conditioning/fatigue wall.

I suppose it's hard to keep a bunch of elite athletes with little or no local (state/conference/region) competition playing at a high level that befits their ranking.  But it sure happens with regularity.

I was honestly wondering if fatigue was a factor. Not an excuse, but with 4 away matches in a row, they have likely been out of Austin for 8-10 days out of the past two weeks when their classes are probably picking up the intensity as well. Gabriel, O'Neal, Fields, and Phillips have not yet had the experience of constantly trying to keep up with school, practice, and playing multiple high caliber matches in a row. (I know Gabriel played in the post season last year, but I think school is more intense work-wise at the beginning of a semester and sitting the bench is less stressful). On the other hand, several schools have played more matches than we have (i.e. Rice and Pitt). Did not watch the game so I am going off stats/comments, but it seems everything kinda broke down - passing, setting, hitting, and serving. Because of that, I am more leaning toward concluding it was a baaaaaad day all around that hopefully we can overcome.

Since I havent been active in this thread yet this season, here are some of my overall observations/thoughts so far:

• Blocking: with 2 freshman middles + 1 freshman and 1 undersized as opposites, blocking has not been our strength as in years past. I think it will improve as the season goes on with the freshman getting better at reading setters and adjusting to quicker sets (fingers crossed Butler is able to get healthy and bring some experience to the front line)
  • Passing: overall, until the Rice match, receiving and defense had seemed not to be as big a liability as in years past. Peterson and Hahn seem to have improved. I thought Eggleston passed very well against Stanford and BYU, and most the time I would almost rather her stay on over Rounsaville. (TBH I would feel more comfortable if we had more depth in the DS position, but that has been discussed here before).
  • Setting: As others have pointed out, Gabriel needs to spread the sets out more, but I think that is something that will get better during the season. I think we are currently too predicable for the blockers. Its not going to happen, but I wish we would run a cross play with the MB going for a slide and Fields going for quickish middle (with a backrow pipe option as well). 
  • Hosting: I agree that the loss to Rice definitely hurt our chances at hosting, and we have to take care of business in conference play (+A&M). I am worried about Baylor, but glad we have them at home first.  Looking at the schedule of the teams that could end up in top 4 ranking: (1) Nebraska, (4) Penn State, (7) Minnesota, and (9) Wisconsin all have at least one loss and all wont make it through conference play without another. Penn State also plays (6) Pitt two times. (10) Washington plays Wisconsin twice and Standford and Oregon in conference play. (5) Baylor plays undefeated (13) Hawai'i before conference play. So IMO the host sites may still be open with a few losses even though our loss was to a low ranked opponent.

Anyone else watch the Stanford v. Nebraska match...have any thoughts?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Wow nice win. I left when Texas was behind in the first set and looking baaad. I come home and see a 3 set win. And hearing Shook played well...go figure.

Make no mistake, we looked like shiiiiiiit for long stretches of all three sets, less so in the third.

And, it's kind of appearing that having two pins playing six rotations and a short setter came home to roost in the last couple of games.  Getting Logan out of the back row and Ashley setting did turn things around.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Make no mistake, we looked like shiiiiiiit for long stretches of all three sets, less so in the third.

And, it's kind of appearing that having two pins playing six rotations and a short setter came home to roost in the last couple of games.  Getting Logan out of the back row and Ashley setting did turn things around.

Oh yeah, no doubt, I saw enough to know that it was fugly. But I’ll take it after what happened Wednesday. Hopefully it’s a bit of a turning point for the season.

• Like 1

Love the way the agroid girls fell apart at the end of the first 2 sets. Of course we let them get ahead with mental errors and poor serving. I don't know why some of our players don't just serve it underhand and get it in since their overhead serve doesn't do anything to get the other team out of system. It's hard to believe the stat shown during the broadcast Texas wins 70% of Claire's serves, probably the softest server on the team. But she gets it in. I doubt anyone else on the team is anywhere close to that.

It's great to she Ashley come in and play well. She did well at Rice if only for a couple of points. I wonder if sitting on the bench so much last year helped her just watch and learn. She didn't seem to get the little things that make such a big difference. She seems to be getting it now, and that's big since with her height she can do things Jhenna just can't do.

2 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

I had nothing to do with the win ,and Im not a fan of trash talk on the back of someone elses accomplishment . But it was nice for the program to finally beat the class Women's VB program in the state.

the worm had turned 

so suck on that Horns!!!

Very nice win for Owls.  Your team played a spirited and solid game.  Congrats.  But win a Nat or two and a few final fours and we might talk about the WORM.

49 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Very nice win for Owls.  Your team played a spirited and solid game.  Congrats.  But win a Nat or two and a few final fours and we might talk about the WORM.

Yes, But Im gonna talk smack now, just in case it takes just a long to win another one as its taking to get to the moon again.