2021 ATP/WTA Thread

UDontKnow

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Momma ain’t going to Tokyo, good. 

She wasn't going to win shit and she was just looking for an out where she would be the victim.

I'm glad that she's not going, because the Top 4 American girls really deserve the chance to go over an old fat lady who has had her Olympic glory in the past and is being protected by COVID rankings.

I know that they took the rankings at the end of the FRENCH OPEN, so two weeks of results have been added into this, but the US Women will be:

Sofia Kenin
Jennifer Brady
Coco Gauff
Jessica Pegula

This is where the #3-#6 US Women currently stand. (Not including Serena.) It looks like Pegula beat out Madison Keys by 5 points.

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 6.49.33 PM.png

Edited by Napoleon

• 2 weeks later...

Posted elsewhere, so no clue how accurate, but damn. 

ATP Top 100 players who have withdrawn (Olympics): 

#3 Rafael Nadal
#5 Dominic Thiem
#10 Roberto Bautista Agut
#14 Denis Shapovalov
#15 Casper Ruud
#18 Milos Raonic
#19 Cristian Garin
#23 Jannik Sinner
#28 Stan Wawrinka
#32 Reilly Opelka
#33 John Isner
#34 Borna Coric
#36 Taylor Fritz
#38 Albert Ramos Vinolas
#40 Dusan Lajovic
#41 Cameron Norrie
#42 Adrian Mannarino
#44 Filip Krajinovic
#46 Benoit Paire
#48 Federico Delbonis
#51 Lloyd Harris
#54 Richard Gasquet
#58 Nick Kyrgios
#62 Guido Pella
#63 Sam Querrey
#64 Feliciano Lopez
#67 Alexei Popyrin
#72 Steve Johnson
#73 Jiri Vesely
#74 Emil Ruusuvuori
#77 Kyle Edmund
#81 Jordan Thompson
#84 Ricardas Berankis
#85 Pablo Cuevas
#93 Radu Albot
#98 Mikael Ymer

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Damn. Tennis as an olympic sports days are numbered

Tennis’ days as an Olympic sport…

…during a pandemic year full of quarantines and lockdowns in a distant country from the North Atlantic that is dealing with a virus surge that restricts players from bringing family & friends…

…are numbered.

Edited by Napoleon

Tennis’ days as an Olympic sport…
…during a pandemic year full of quarantines and lockdowns in a distant country from the North Atlantic that is dealing with a virus surge that restricts players from bringing family & friends…
…are numbered.

Yeh and it’s not even “surging”. I’d skip too, it’s pretty meaningless for tennis in big picture. Why put yourself through a couple weeks of nonsense?

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeh and it’s not even “surging”. I’d skip too, it’s pretty meaningless for tennis in big picture. Why put yourself through a couple weeks of nonsense?

This is unfortunately the new normal in a lot of countries. Wouldnt surprise me if the Australian open next year Still requires a two week lockdown/quarantine for all players that arrive in the country. 

• Like 1

Sure, Fed is out, but you missed the big story. Konta is out!

Tokyo 2020: Roger Federer and Johanna Konta withdraw from Olympics

Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer and British number one Johanna Konta have both pulled out of this summer's Tokyo Olympics.

Federer, 39, has suffered a setback with an existing knee injury.

The Swiss legend won doubles gold at Beijing 2008 and silver in 2012, losing the singles final to Andy Murray.

Konta, 30, has contracted Covid after withdrawing from Wimbledon when a member of her team tested positive and she was identified as a close contact.

_119390811_kontanottingham.jpg

Johanna Konta won the Nottingham Open in the lead up to Wimbledon before being forced to withdraw

Konta pulled out of Wimbledon before it started as she was forced to withdraw and isolate when a member of her team tested positive for Covid.

She says she then developed symptoms and has now tested positive, adding that she has been unable to train for the past two and a half weeks and felt she would not be ready to compete in Tokyo.

"This is a heartbreaking reality for me, as representing Team GB at the Olympic Games in Rio in 2016 is one of my most treasured memories from my career," Konta said on social media.

"I'll be doing my best to get back to full health and fitness and ready to be competing again soon.

"During this time, I'll also be glued to my TV cheering on my fellow Team GB athletes and hope you will all join me."

Konta has only been able to play 15 matches this year because of injury and Covid-related constraints.

Team GB is not able to name a replacement for Konta, as no other British players are ranked highly enough to qualify, so her withdrawal deprives Heather Watson of a doubles partner. 

The British number two will be limited to singles unless she and Joe Salisbury make the cut for the mixed doubles. The entry list will be confirmed once the Games are underway.

Dan Evans, Andy Murray and the Wimbledon mixed doubles champion Neal Skupski complete the GB team for the tennis, which starts on 24 July.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/57825935

This is unfortunately the new normal in a lot of countries. Wouldnt surprise me if the Australian open next year Still requires a two week lockdown/quarantine for all players that arrive in the country. 

Yep. It’s a good thing we are about to be in the North American season.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That’s embarrassing, Coco. 

Yep, pretty bush league, but she is a 17 year-old kid. 

17 year-olds are inherently stupid.

In other news, Russian-born Sofia Kenin is skipping the Olympics as well, even though she is the highest ranked American player (male or female) based off of her 2020 & late 2019 successes. She would lose early in her current form, so she’s gonna pass.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Yep, pretty bush league, but she is a 17 year-old kid. 

17 year-olds are inherently stupid.

In other news, Russian-born Sofia Kenin is skipping the Olympics as well, even though she is the highest ranked American player (male or female) based off of her 2020 & late 2019 successes. She would lose early in her current form, so she’s gonna pass.

I'm not saying definitively that she's unvaccinated because even vaccinated people are testing positive for Covid. That being said, if she is unvaccinated, the blame could lay on her parents who have to sign off on their kid getting the vaccine since she's a minor.

15 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I'm not saying definitively that she's unvaccinated because even vaccinated people are testing positive for Covid. That being said, if she is unvaccinated, the blame could lay on her parents who have to sign off on their kid getting the vaccine since she's a minor.

She also may not have had a time to get the vaccine in the States that wouldn't have interfered with her tour schedule in case she had adverse reactions. I don't know.

What I do know is that she could have been avoiding enclosed areas with gatherings of people. THAT is the inherently stupid part.

She also may have picked up the virus on the plane to Japan. Who knows?... 

Anyway, hopefully she's asymptotic and can get past this to get ready for the East Coast hardcourt season.

12 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Check this draw out, half the fucking seeds withdrew. 

http://wtafiles.wtatennis.com/pdf/draws/2021/2037/MDS.pdf

PUT IN T' SEVA... just won the Hungary Open (or whatever it's called), so she's skipping Poland to bask in the glow of her 2nd career title.

217703782_212390474223665_35864964965953

She may just want to take a week to go relax at the beach.

image-asset.jpeg

image-asset.jpeg

Yulia-Putintseva-ass-beach.jpg

And who can blame her?

Congratulations Yulia. Don't forget to post photos.

👌

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pegula, Brady, and Riske? Oof thats weak for team USA

Riske was like the 5th or 6th highest ranked American from points she's still got from 2019...

...because I started following in early 2020 and she hasn't done shit since I started following.

(And she obviously hasn't been working on her tan in that time either.)

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Olympics begin at 9 tonight on the aptly-named Olympic Channel (624 on Direct). 

According to my former dentist in Argentina [who has Italian passports for herself, her husband, and her two daughters (too you for pix)], the Olympics have already started.

She sent a couple of tweets of the Argentine contingent (whose boys soccer team have already lost once so far) and they’re singing and jumping up and down and were the only country (dumb enough) to do that. She was very proud.

🤌 🤌 🤌

🧉🙄

…she just added…

”Not to mention that Argentinean and Italian teams are staying in same building….”

(Somewhere in heaven her parents are smiling about this as much as she is.)

🇦🇷+🇮🇹= 😇😇

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

One less American, Pegula got rolled by Belinda, 3 & 3. 

Ugh!

I was hoping for good things from Pegula.

Bencic has got a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain. When she’s on, like most of this year’s tournament in Adelaide, she’s mighty impressive, but when she gets in her head, anyone can beat her and great players can make her look like a beginner. 

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ali lost. 

USA kinda sucks. 

Coco didn't treat Delta like she was unvaccinated (which she may have been), but Jen Brady & Jessi Pegula could have carried the torch. Kenin skipped it, Serena would have lost in the first round if she wasn't already injured for being fat, and Ali Riske sucks.

Has Brady played yet?