2021 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Big 12 is the #2 RPI conference and potentially 4 teams in the top 15 of RPI. 

I would be shocked if the Big 12 doesn't get at least 2 national seeds. That final national seed might come down to TCU and Tech though. 

But that would only leave 6 for the sec

• Haha 4

Guest Lobo
36 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Tech beat OU 13-2 in 7 innings, they are now 7th in RPI, 2 spots and 41 points behind TCU. That gap could shrink on Tuesday unless TCU cancels yet another midweek game to protect their RPI.

Baylor now up 8-3 on Okie State which is good news for any "Big 12, Big 12, Big 12" people. Moves the conference closer to being a 5 bid league which regardless of how you feel about other schools (whom most of which I despise), it does prop everybody up when the conference is good

NO problem with our league getting 5 teams, especially if one of them is not called Oklahoma.  We'll get 2 nationals, another regional host, and I think OSU and Baylor will both shake out somewhere between unfavorable #2 seeds to really favorable #3 seeds.  

Not much changes on standings today.  If you game it out by probability, TCU takes 2/3 at KSU, Texas sweeps WVU, Texas Tech sweeps Kansas in Lubbock, Baylor takes 2/3 from OU in Waco and locks in #4 conference seed via tie-breaker (not that it matters much for first-round games), OSU is locked in at 12-12 and #5 seed in OKC.  Oklahoma finishes at 10-14 and #6 Seed.  KSU at #7.  WVU and Kansas are the play-in game to hopefully face Texas on second day in OKC.  

Edited by Lobo

The last 2 or 3 times Tech has gone to Omaha they have have hosted a regional and super regional. Yes, home field advantage is great to have so they can get to Omaha....however, once they're in Omaha it seems like they're not ready mentally. They're not in the nurturing biosphere of their mothership.

I'd love for them to host a regional and then win a super somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Big 12 is the #2 RPI conference and potentially 4 teams in the top 15 of RPI. 

I would be shocked if the Big 12 doesn't get at least 2 national seeds. That final national seed might come down to TCU and Tech though. 

I hope not. That would mean the 8/9 pairing for the super. 

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

The last 2 or 3 times Tech has gone to Omaha they have have hosted a regional and super regional. Yes, home field advantage is great to have so they can get to Omaha....however, once they're in Omaha it seems like they're not ready mentally. They're not in the nurturing biosphere of their mothership.

I'd love for them to host a regional and then win a super somewhere else.

I'd love for Tech to not lose badass pitchers during the first 10 games of the year, seemingly every year.

That's a bigger factor than the alleged lack of preparedness. In 2019, both CWS losses were to eventual champ Michigan.

They also earned one of those tickets to Omaha by winning the regional in Coral Gables and then hosting the Super in LBK, which is still weird to me..  Granted that was 2014...I think.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I'd love for Tech to not lose badass pitchers during the first 10 games of the year, seemingly every year.

That's a bigger factor than the alleged lack of preparedness. In 2019, both CWS losses were to eventual champ Michigan.

They also earned one of those tickets to Omaha by winning the regional in Coral Gables and then hosting the Super in LBK, which is still weird to me..  Granted that was 2014...I think.

Michigan didn’t win it all in ‘19. 

29 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

TCU hasn't cancelled yet?

Cancelled midafternoon yesterday.    Could have played afternoon game.  70% + chance of t/s beginning at 7PM.

Edited by torre

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

There wasn’t a game being played anywhere around here today, period. 

Yeah ^^^ 

Its been storming all morning and their field is grass. No way it could have been playable with rain excepted later as well 

Purple cats do not score in the bottom of the 1st.

The KSU stream just had a commercial with Bill Snyder telling me not to share my pain meds and to dispose of them properly to help prevent opioid abuse.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, WBT said:

Purple cats do not score in the bottom of the 1st.

The KSU stream just had a commercial with Bill Snyder telling me not to share my pain meds and to dispose of them properly to help prevent opioid abuse.

I thought we were supposed to dispose of them so the robots couldn't use them as fuel.  Wait, is Old Bill working for Old Glory still?  I'm old, I get confused.  Go Cats!

Guest Lobo

Wicks back out in the 8th for KSU, holding a 4-2 lead on TCU.  At 109 pitches and two quick outs, and still dealing.  That kid is fucking nails.  5 hits and 1 walk through 7 2/3.  Did everything a Longhorn or Wildcat fan could ask of him.  Now let's beat WVU, what the fuck!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Edited by Lobo

Guest Lobo

TCU up 5-0 now and doing more damage.  Tech did what they needed to do earlier today.  At this rate, we may have some run-rule games this evening.  

Gonna be interesting to see how tomorrow's weather all across Big XII country (Manhattan, Waco, Lubbock, Austin) and the travel deadlines effect who gets in how many innings.  

Guest Lobo

Well, I suppose it's as the baseball gods intended.  Lots coming down to the final day of the regular season.  KSU can still upset TCU and we can still take the flag.  It's also doubly nice this year to have the #1 seed because you get the winner of the "play-in" game on Wednesday midday.  That team will be a train wreck.  It's either Kansas or WVU both coming off long road trips (KU to Lubbock and WVU to Austin) on short rest from Saturday afternoon games.  They have to turn around to OKC on Monday to practice and then play one another on Tuesday evening.  And that same team has to try to knock off the #1 seed on Wednesday lunch.  That gives the #1 seed pitching staff some creative solutions as well.  There is some goofy scenario where KSU could also be one of the teams in that play-in game...but maths be hard 'n shit.  Another incentive for them to upset TCU Saturday I suppose. 

Anyway, beat WVU tomorrow...hope KSU wins after us (their game will be about 4 innings behind ours at all times).  We also need Tech and OSU to win for RPI purposes.  BAY and OKL can go fuck each other.