Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

$9.95 and all but the dog and pony show being put on by Cody Campbell on the Tech rivals.com board is amazing to watch. I would wager that watching one of your school's billionaire donors having Leacher meltdowns about the football program and repeatedly call for the AD's head on an internet message board (even though he's been doing a phenomenal job across the board minus the whiffs on the football coach) is a once in the lifetime experience. The best part is people asking him how much he paid for the appointment to the Texas higher education board by Abbott. 

People have been shitting on him left and right because he seems to have gotten buttmad because he set up a meeting with Dana Holgersen and Hocutt said no. He seems to be willing to blow up our entire AD just so football can go back to being mediocre (i.e. get rid of Kirby Hocutt which would almost certainly mean we lose Beard at the very least). He's currently in damage control mode because a political hack named Jay Leeson decided to make a post basically threatening the whole board to be nice to Cody or there could be big problems for Tech, and most of the board seems to think it was at Cody's behest. Yesterday he made a big long post about his life, family, how he's a lifelong Red Raider, etc. etc.

It's pretty damn entertaining.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

They could have healthy Tua starting with Joe Burrow as his backup and they aren't winning shit with that defense.

A better O-line would make a world of difference too.

I don't think we ever saw the real Yost offense because these guys were incapable of running it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

A better O-line would make a world of difference too.

I don't think we ever saw the real Yost offense because these guys were incapable of running it.

What is your opinion on the below article (excerpt) ?    Wells seems like a good guy,  hope he can unite the fanbase.

Williams is right on one account; there is a group of millionaire boosters who wanted former West Virginia and current Houston head coach Dana Holgorsen to be Kirby Hocutt’s choice last fall.  Most prominent among them is a pair of former Tech football players who played with Kingsbury while Holgorsen was an assistant at Tech under Leach.

They had essentially lined Holgorsen up for Hocutt but the Tech AD gave them the Heisman stiff-arm.  Since then, on message boards and through not so subtle back channels, they’ve made their displeasure known.

But to believe that a sizeable portion of the fan base is angry or bitter enough about the head coach to lead to the type of meager showing from the Tech populace as we saw on Saturday is puzzling.  For every millionaire booster in the seats at The Jones each week, there are at least 5,000 normal fans there who have no say in the head coaching hires and thus don’t really have an ax to grind.  They just want to see winning football.

The student section was about 60% empty.  I’ve never seen the Goin’ Band make up the entirety of the fans in the south end zone seats before as was the case on Saturday.

https://wreckemred.com/2019/11/18/texas-tech-football-empty-seats-are-not-due-to-ill-will-for-matt-wells/

1 hour ago, torre said:

What is your opinion on the below article (excerpt) ?    Wells seems like a good guy,  hope he can unite the fanbase.

Williams is right on one account; there is a group of millionaire boosters who wanted former West Virginia and current Houston head coach Dana Holgorsen to be Kirby Hocutt’s choice last fall.  Most prominent among them is a pair of former Tech football players who played with Kingsbury while Holgorsen was an assistant at Tech under Leach.

They had essentially lined Holgorsen up for Hocutt but the Tech AD gave them the Heisman stiff-arm.  Since then, on message boards and through not so subtle back channels, they’ve made their displeasure known.

But to believe that a sizeable portion of the fan base is angry or bitter enough about the head coach to lead to the type of meager showing from the Tech populace as we saw on Saturday is puzzling.  For every millionaire booster in the seats at The Jones each week, there are at least 5,000 normal fans there who have no say in the head coaching hires and thus don’t really have an ax to grind.  They just want to see winning football.

The student section was about 60% empty.  I’ve never seen the Goin’ Band make up the entirety of the fans in the south end zone seats before as was the case on Saturday.

https://wreckemred.com/2019/11/18/texas-tech-football-empty-seats-are-not-due-to-ill-will-for-matt-wells/

The wreckemred guy has been anti-Wells since day one.  His blog also sucks.

Edited by Dirk X West
  • Like 1

I love Texas Tech.  I don't really give a rip about Campbell's beef with Hocutt.

IT's hard to argue with what Kirby's done in the big picture with Tech athletics. The last thing we needed was another shot appeasing the fans of Leach, which I am admittedly a big one- but not with regard to Texas Tech's dealings going forward.  Holgorsen is hardly a dynamic enough coach to get me all excited about "what could have been."  As it is now, it's just big money throwing a tantrum.  Campbell has evidently become what a lot of us despise about our own school's GOBs.

I like it that Wells is a clean break and am willing to give him time.  We've already pissed away a decade this December with rampant idiocy, so what's another shitty football season?  Let Hocutt do his thing- it kinda worked out on some non-football fronts.  Pigskin is a bigger ship to turn around.  Red Bull man was never the real answer.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, torre said:

Thanks for the replies.   I saw that article last week while reading Tech articles before our game.   Was surprised there would be a problem with student fan support.

Tech students have stayed away at the end of bad seasons under every Tech coach that has had them as long for as long I can remember, which goes back to early Spike Dykes days.  If anything, I've been surprised how, for the most part, they stuck by the team all through 9 years of coaching failures leading up to this year.    

The next quality football hire Hocutt makes will be his first. Hocutt gets far more credit than he deserves for his performance as AD. He's something like the 5th highest paid AD in the country.  He deserves none of it.

I think it's far from unreasonable to expect quality results from an AD paid that highly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

I love Texas Tech.  I don't really give a rip about Campbell's beef with Hocutt.

IT's hard to argue with what Kirby's done in the big picture with Tech athletics. The last thing we needed was another shot appeasing the fans of Leach, which I am admittedly a big one- but not with regard to Texas Tech's dealings going forward.  Holgorsen is hardly a dynamic enough coach to get me all excited about "what could have been."  As it is now, it's just big money throwing a tantrum.  Campbell has evidently become what a lot of us despise about our own school's GOBs.

I like it that Wells is a clean break and am willing to give him time.  We've already pissed away a decade this December with rampant idiocy, so what's another shitty football season?  Let Hocutt do his thing- it kinda worked out on some non-football fronts.  Pigskin is a bigger ship to turn around.  Red Bull man was never the real answer.

Complete and utter nonsense about it being tough to argue about what Hocutt has done big picture at Tech.

Kittley was already on staff when Hocutt arrived.  So was Tadlock. Awful hire in Kingbury.  Wells has had 4 losing seasons out of the last 5.  Beard was an absolute no brainer in that he had previously coached at Tech for a good while and was the choice of every Tech fan in existence.  Hocutt liked Beard so much he tried his damnedist to keep Tubby, doing everything within his power to do so. 

Being paid like he is, Tech fans deserve better.

5 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Complete and utter nonsense about it being tough to argue about what Hocutt has done big picture at Tech.

Kittley was already on staff when Hocutt arrived.  So was Tadlock. Awful hire in Kingbury.  Wells has had 4 losing seasons out of the last 5.  Beard was an absolute no brainer in that he had previously coached at Tech for a good while and was the choice of every Tech fan in existence.  Hocutt liked Beard so much he tried his damnedist to keep Tubby, doing everything within his power to do so. 

I feel like the fallout from his firing would be more damaging than the amount he's making. I'll take winning basketball and baseball and have a below average football team, don't be aggy.

21 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

I feel like the fallout from his firing would be more damaging than the amount he's making. I'll take winning basketball and baseball and have a below average football team, don't be aggy.

Not being Aggie at all.  Football pays the bills.  Baseball and basketball do not.

Hocutt is a joke.  We needed a new coach and he goes  out and hires, what was after his raise, the 51st highest paid coach in the country.  Hocutt didn't even try to make a good hire.  You like a football coach that's had losing seasons 4 of the last 5 seasons? A true  mark of distinction.  He should be very proud.

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

We celebrate this week, the tenth anniversary of what Tech fans deserve... SMDH at  "deserve"

as if Holgorsen was the answer.  UH took off this year, right? WVU was dominant under his watch, right?  I like the guy for who he is, but he wasn't the fucking answer for change Tech needed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

I recall precisely 0 people calling for Beard to be hired at Tech before it happened.  Tubby was also a great hire, by the way - one that was criticized intensely, until it was obvious that he was doing a great job.

Can you remind me how many football coaches Hocutt has hired?

Edited by Dirk X West

Hocutt deserves ample criticism for the KK hire.  He rolled the dice on someone that everyone was pot banging to be hired because he was the OC for Johnny F'n Football.  It was a risk to hire KK, but at the time he was trending up.

No one then realized that KK just wasn't ready to run an entire program, recruiting and all.  Hocutt probably knew better than to roll the dice on KK that early, but if he hadn't and KK had gone on to success at another school, he would have been run out of Lubbock on a rail.  The Tech fan base, myself included, kind of painted Hocutt into a corner on that hire because Tuberville was such a polarizing failure of a hire (not Hocutt's hire).

KK was a roll of the dice, and unfortunately we crapped out on that roll.  So I give Hocutt a pass on that hire for all the reasons I state above.

I think it's too early to make a summary judgement on Wells & his staff.  Yes, there were some head scratching moments this season, but I wasn't at the practices, in the film room, or on the sidelines during the game.  And the defense, that was already pretty thin depth-wise, was decimated by injuries.  So I am going to give him and his staff the benefit of the doubt for this season.  But he needs to show real improvement next year before we decide Hocutt has gone 0-2 on football head coaching hires at Tech.

Now, Beard was a no-brainer.  Even the worst AD in America would have known to go after Beard as soon as Tubbs left for Memphis, regardless if Beard just signed a big contract at another school two weeks prior.  The credit I give to Hocutt for the Beard hire was to not be resigned to the fact he was just hired by UNLV and to go after him anyway.  But I don't give him credit for the Beard hire in as far as he could see talent there that no one else could.  Hell, we all knew Beard was the guy to get.  I wanted him before Tubbs left and UNLV hired him...so did many others.  It was the no-brainer hire of all no-brainer hires.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Now, Beard was a no-brainer.  Even the worst AD in America would have known to go after Beard as soon as Tubbs left for Memphis, regardless if Beard just signed a big contract at another school two weeks prior.  The credit I give to Hocutt for the Beard hire was to not be resigned to the fact he was just hired by UNLV and to go after him anyway.  But I don't give him credit for the Beard hire in as far as he could see talent there that no one else could.  Hell, we all knew Beard was the guy to get.  I wanted him before Tubbs left and UNLV hired him...so did many others.  It was the no-brainer hire of all no-brainer hires.

I still think the bolded point is a bit of historical revisionism, but whatever.  When he was hired, people were like, "oh yeah, he coached under Knight, makes sense".  That's a little different than everyone calling it before it happened.

Either way, though, to me, where Hocutt deserves credit with Beard was in not letting him go after last year when just about everyone outside of Lubbock expected he'd be off to greener pastures.  And it's not like there weren't schools generally perceived as bigger programs weren't after him.  It seemed very much like UCLA and Arkansas both wanted him and both certainly could have paid him as well or better than Tech ultimately did.

Although baseball is smaller sport at the college level, the same is true with Tadlock.  He could've easily moved to UT.

1 minute ago, Dirk X West said:

I still think the bolded point is a bit of historical revisionism, but whatever.  When he was hired, people were like, "oh yeah, he coached under Knight, makes sense".  That's a little different than everyone calling it before it happened.

Either way, though, to me, where Hocutt deserves credit with Beard was in not letting him go after last year when just about everyone outside of Lubbock expected he'd be off to greener pastures.  And it's not like there weren't schools generally perceived as bigger programs weren't after him.  It seemed very much like UCLA and Arkansas both wanted him and both certainly could have paid him as well or better than Tech ultimately did.

Although baseball is smaller sport at the college level, the same is true with Tadlock.  He could've easily moved to UT.

People who saw what he did that year at Arkansas State knew he was the coach to get.  I know at the time UNLV hired him I posted somewhere that I really wish we could have grabbed him.  Others in my circle had said the same thing.  People who were paying attention knew he was the hot commodity to get.

As soon as Tubbs announced he was leaving for Memphis, I think every Tech fan's first response was, "Go get Beard."  It seemed it was a no-brainer to everyone at that time.  Heck i remember some Tech fans during the season, before Tubbs left, that Beard would be the ideal next coach.

29 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

As soon as Tubbs announced he was leaving for Memphis, I think every Tech fan's first response was, "Go get Beard."  It seemed it was a no-brainer to everyone at that time.  Heck i remember some Tech fans during the season, before Tubbs left, that Beard would be the ideal next coach.

We can only rely on anecdotal info in this case, but I was reading the Tech Scout board regularly at the time, and I don't recall much talk about Beard before Tubby left.  I'm not saying you're wrong either, but still, I'll maintain that the notion that "everyone" called Beard to Tech before it happened is a vast exaggeration.  I don't think the average, i.e. non-message board perusing, non-dialed in, Tech fan could have even told you he was at UALR when he was there.

Edited by Dirk X West

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

We can only rely on anecdotal info in this case, but I was reading the Tech Scout board regularly at the time, and I don't recall much talk about Beard before Tubby left.  I'm not saying you're wrong either, but still, I'll maintain that the notion that "everyone" called Beard to Tech before it happened is a vast exaggeration.  I don't think the average, i.e. non-message board perusing, non-dialed in, Tech fan could have even told you he was at UALR when he was there.

I don't know those people.  :)

10 hours ago, Iceman said:

We celebrate this week, the tenth anniversary of what Tech fans deserve... SMDH at  "deserve"

as if Holgorsen was the answer.  UH took off this year, right? WVU was dominant under his watch, right?  I like the guy for who he is, but he wasn't the fucking answer for change Tech needed.

Not necessarily suggesting Dana was the answer.   Everything about this year tells us to this point it's damn sure not Wells though.

Shake your head all you please, but when I allude to what Tech fans deserve.  I just think it far from unrealistiic  if you're paying you're AD in the top 5 in the country that you have somebody who can hire a damn football coach.

Buyer’s remorse from thickheaded Tech fans...

Remind me... where have we seen that come to national exposure on nuclear meltdown level before?

Now it’s Hocutt that sucks???

lolz.  Again. Shaking my motherfucking head at you stupid motherfuckers. 

Tech sports history is just chockfull of overachieving programs. Lolz.  Hocutt needs to go because if salary?  Fuck you people. 

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

I recall precisely 0 people calling for Beard to be hired at Tech before it happened.  Tubby was also a great hire, by the way - one that was criticized intensely, until it was obvious that he was doing a great job.

Can you remind me how many football coaches Hocutt has hired?

You might really want to look into cures for memory loss issues.  As others in this thread have attested, Beard was the chosen one by virtually everyone who had ever even seen a TTU basketball game. No brainer.  He had even coached at Tech long term.

As far as Hocutt's football hires.  He hired the whiz that was kliff Kingsbury who, of course, sucked big time.  At the University of Miami his claim to fame was firing Randy Shannon only to hire Al Golden as his replacement.  Hocutt handled it so well, they both ended up suing the university.  

What a guy.  So, by virtue of your question, I guess your defense is he hasn't hired many football coaches.  Yep, no experience, that's what you want in a top 5 paid AD.  And you liked the Tubby hire?  Hocutt slightly preceded the fiasco that was the Billy Clyde hire.  He's gold is what he is.

8 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

You might really want to look into cures for memory loss issues.  As others in this thread have attested, Beard was the chosen one by virtually everyone who had ever even seen a TTU basketball game. No brainer.  He had even coached at Tech long term.

As far as Hocutt's football hires.  He hired the whiz that was kliff Kingsbury who, of course, sucked big time.  At the University of Miami his claim to fame was firing Randy Shannon only to hire Al Golden as his replacement.  Hocutt handled it so well, they both ended up suing the university.  

What a guy.  So, by virtue of your question, I guess your defense is he hasn't hired many football coaches.  Yep, no experience, that's what you want in a top 5 paid AD.  And you liked the Tubby hire?  Hocutt slightly preceded the fiasco that was the Billy Clyde hire.  He's gold is what he is.

Well....when you say it like that.

27 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Buyer’s remorse from thickheaded Tech fans...

Remind me... where have we seen that come to national exposure on nuclear meltdown level before?

Now it’s Hocutt that sucks???

lolz.  Again. Shaking my motherfucking head at you stupid motherfuckers. 

Tech sports history is just chockfull of overachieving programs. Lolz.  Hocutt needs to go because if salary?  Fuck you people. 

Oh, if only we could all be as smart as you.  Call everybody some more names.  It's indicative of quite an intellect.

Fwiw, i have no buyers remorse.  It's hardly unreasonable to expect to get one's money worth for an employee who's paid 1.6 million.  The quality of his football hires speak for themselves.  Apparently you're not aware, it's the sport that pays the bills.

Edited by pigmeat markham

6 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Hocutt deserves ample criticism for the KK hire.  He rolled the dice on someone that everyone was pot banging to be hired because he was the OC for Johnny F'n Football.  It was a risk to hire KK, but at the time he was trending up.

No one then realized that KK just wasn't ready to run an entire program, recruiting and all.  Hocutt probably knew better than to roll the dice on KK that early, but if he hadn't and KK had gone on to success at another school, he would have been run out of Lubbock on a rail.  The Tech fan base, myself included, kind of painted Hocutt into a corner on that hire because Tuberville was such a polarizing failure of a hire (not Hocutt's hire).

KK was a roll of the dice, and unfortunately we crapped out on that roll.  So I give Hocutt a pass on that hire for all the reasons I state above.

I think it's too early to make a summary judgement on Wells & his staff.  Yes, there were some head scratching moments this season, but I wasn't at the practices, in the film room, or on the sidelines during the game.  And the defense, that was already pretty thin depth-wise, was decimated by injuries.  So I am going to give him and his staff the benefit of the doubt for this season.  But he needs to show real improvement next year before we decide Hocutt has gone 0-2 on football head coaching hires at Tech.

Head scratching moments to be sure.  In what was termed  up front a nationwide search, we get a coach who now has four losing seasons in the last 5.  He barely makes the top 50 paid football coaches in the country.  This at a school where the baseball and basketball coaches are among the top tier paid coaches in the country.

the defense is already 1,000% better with a pretty thin amount of talent

the few transfers he brought in made real contributions

he managed to extract duffy's head from his ass where it was deeply wedged

I do not recall many if any 15 yard penalties for twerking in some offensive players face after getting a big stop on 3rd and 40 and thus giving the other team a fresh first down.....or flexing on them, or hitting them 12 yards out of bounds, or shoving their face, or humping on them on the ground.....shit you would see from a  kliff team sometimes more than once on the same drive

false starts on offense are way down.....especially after times out and to start drives or after big first downs

special teams can use some work, but was not a massive liability especially the kicking game

the offense was able to make use of balance and run the ball effectively

recruiting looks to be better than any time since Tuberville which was the best recruiting Tech has seen in a long long time

the O and D lines need work especially the O line, but they are thin on talent because of a past coach that had to have 30 receivers on the team

there should still be concern about that with the current recruiting, but there is time to correct that and even some decent to good JuCo players that do not have their head in their asses and that do not do stupid shit would be at least good and probably noticeably better than the current undersized and thin group....especially if they match the offense better 

kliff recruited like shit the entire time he was at Tech from every aspect of recruiting and it got worse the longer he was at Tech so expecting a massive turn around especially once it was clear that Bowman probably needs to retire from the game was a huge reach......none the less anyone with their head not in their ass should have seen a lot of improvement in all areas and getting Duffy to not be an idiot and actually play well was a massive change in and of itself if that had happened sooner then Tech might have won that AU game and the season would look a lot different.....but it takes time to correct a guy from 3 years of someone that disciplines with more time to talk on cell phones and ice cream socials and pants off dance offs

when you give a guy that is lazy, one dimensional, and too stubborn to correct glaring issues even after finally admitting way too late that they are issues 6 years to drive the car into a ditch and then hammer the gas and keep running down that ditch hitting stuff well it is not going to be an over night process to correct that

and people are pretending like Tech had a lot of choices for a coach that would have been more popular or better

Neal brown was not coming to Tech he knows how stupid a lot of Tech fans are and he wanted no part of that.....holgerson is a lazy moron and a chode and he sucks.....Les would have been a good hire, but Tech fans are not smart enough to know that......none of the shit hot AAC coaches were coming to Tech and most of the other MWC coaches were not proven enough or were not going to come or would be short term fixes as best because of age

Littrel Seth Seth Littrell would have been a disaster he is falling apart in the crappy CUSA now

coordinators are always a risk

what really angers a lot of the vocal idiot Tech fans is that Kubbie made his own choice and he did not listen to their stupidity about this guy or that guy or paying homage to some guy that has won a lot of games against spares and that is about it

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Just to be clear, Hocutt started at Tech in the Spring of 2011.  Hocutt brought Tadlock onto Porter's staff in the summer of 2011.  He fired Porter after the 2012 season and promoted Tadlock. Hocutt knew and was familiar with Tadlock from their almost overlapping days at OU 

6 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the defense is already 1,000% better with a pretty thin amount of talent

the few transfers he brought in made real contributions

he managed to extract duffy's head from his ass where it was deeply wedged

I do not recall many if any 15 yard penalties for twerking in some offensive players face after getting a big stop on 3rd and 40 and thus giving the other team a fresh first down.....or flexing on them, or hitting them 12 yards out of bounds, or shoving their face, or humping on them on the ground.....shit you would see from a  kliff team sometimes more than once on the same drive

false starts on offense are way down.....especially after times out and to start drives or after big first downs

special teams can use some work, but was not a massive liability especially the kicking game

the offense was able to make use of balance and run the ball effectively

recruiting looks to be better than any time since Tuberville which was the best recruiting Tech has seen in a long long time

the O and D lines need work especially the O line, but they are thin on talent because of a past coach that had to have 30 receivers on the team

there should still be concern about that with the current recruiting, but there is time to correct that and even some decent to good JuCo players that do not have their head in their asses and that do not do stupid shit would be at least good and probably noticeably better than the current undersized and thin group....especially if they match the offense better 

kliff recruited like shit the entire time he was at Tech from every aspect of recruiting and it got worse the longer he was at Tech so expecting a massive turn around especially once it was clear that Bowman probably needs to retire from the game was a huge reach......none the less anyone with their head not in their ass should have seen a lot of improvement in all areas and getting Duffy to not be an idiot and actually play well was a massive change in and of itself if that had happened sooner then Tech might have won that AU game and the season would look a lot different.....but it takes time to correct a guy from 3 years of someone that disciplines with more time to talk on cell phones and ice cream socials and pants off dance offs

when you give a guy that is lazy, one dimensional, and too stubborn to correct glaring issues even after finally admitting way too late that they are issues 6 years to drive the car into a ditch and then hammer the gas and keep running down that ditch hitting stuff well it is not going to be an over night process to correct that

and people are pretending like Tech had a lot of choices for a coach that would have been more popular or better

Neal brown was not coming to Tech he knows how stupid a lot of Tech fans are and he wanted no part of that.....holgerson is a lazy moron and a chode and he sucks.....Les would have been a good hire, but Tech fans are not smart enough to know that......none of the shit hot AAC coaches were coming to Tech and most of the other MWC coaches were not proven enough or were not going to come or would be short term fixes as best because of age

Littrel Seth Seth Littrell would have been a disaster he is falling apart in the crappy CUSA now

coordinators are always a risk

what really angers a lot of the vocal idiot Tech fans is that Kubbie made his own choice and he did not listen to their stupidity about this guy or that guy or paying homage to some guy that has won a lot of games against spares and that is about it

"Anyone, without their head up their ass would have seen a lot of improvement? ". You are aware Wells won a grand total of 4 games are you not?  And that counts powerhouses Montana State and UTEP.  No bigger feather in a coach's hat than this, right?

And it takes time after 3 years?  Hate to mention it again, but Wells has had losing seasons 4 of the last 5 years.  Time is not what he needs, he needs an ability to coach.  His current recruiting class is ranked 45th in the country by Rivals.  Very impressive..

Sounds to me like you suffer from a university inferiority complex.  Woe is me, we just couldn't hire anybody who wanted the job--waaa, waaa.  How did that work out for Kansas State?

6 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Just to be clear, Hocutt started at Tech in the Spring of 2011.  Hocutt brought Tadlock onto Porter's staff in the summer of 2011.  He fired Porter after the 2012 season and promoted Tadlock. Hocutt knew and was familiar with Tadlock from their almost overlapping days at OU 

Exactly.  Hocutt came to Tech prior to the 2012 season as an asst.  He hired Tadlock as the head coach  prior to the 2013 season. You make my point,  hardly a genius hire.  Tech grad who was already on staff right there under Kirby's nose.j

Edited by pigmeat markham

Re: the article(s) mentioned above about the fanbase. 

I saw Tech travel to Morgantown, WV to play a 3 win team at 11:00am in front of a packed house. So, what's my opinion of Tech's fanbase? We suck.

I think Tech has a solid 30-35k dedicated fans. We can opine about this that or the other about why that is but the bottom line is that a good chunk of the fanbase are band wagon jumping, social media instant gratification sheep (no aggy) that don't understand the nuances of the game or the sport - they actually started the wave, yes I said the wave, while Tech was on offense during the last home game - nor can they comprehend the simple fact that the bigger and faster team usually wins no matter how well the smaller, slower team is coached. 

All many of them can remember is that Michael Crabtree caught a pass 11 years ago and that the Unversity should have been renamed the Mike Leach School of Pirates all the while completely forgetting that Blake Gideon dropped the game winning INT the play before. 

It's been a strange decade.

That dropped INT might have been the last gift from the football gods that I can recall. Tech has lost a bunch of close games but the ball just hasn't bounced their way. They have set records and can write handbooks on how to score 50 points and lose. Three HCs and countless coordinators, high scoring shootouts or low scoring snoozefests, big crowds or small, late arriving and early leaving - nothing mattered - Lady Luck no longer loves the Red Raiders.

Kliff had a team slogan of "Fortune Favors the Bold"

It didn't work out but I don't think he fully bought into it himself. Tommy T and Matt Wells have both been called "riverboat gamblers" for their willingness to go for it on 4th down. But truth be told, I think all 3 of them played it safe way too much. And all 3 suffered the cold hard fact of trying to play straight up vs superior talent - you just aren't gonna win those battles very often.

Mike's stubbornness here is also his greatness. His ability to get inferior talent to play balls to the walls we give no fucks about norms football with an attitude is why he wins more than he does not.

"Fortune Favors the Bold"

That doesn't mean that the other guys aren't good coaches - it just means they need better players. Tommy quit and Kliff couldn't get better players so he didn't win. It remains to be seen whether or not Matt can get better players here but that's how he will be judged because he probably won't win much without them.

But to answer Maximus' question, "Was I not entertained" by Tech football this season? 10 of the 12 games were one score games in the 4th qtr. Yes, I was entertainedand yes I think Matt Wells is a good coach and a good choice for Texas Tech football.

Now Tech just needs to find another 20k just like me who'll be there rain or shine win, lose or draw.

FYI, Mike's wins in season one here when getting things established and folks were calling his O "air sominex"

New Mexico

Utah St

N Texas

U LaLa

Baylor

Kansas

oSu

• Like 1

as a rookie HC of a program with significant schollie sanctions...and yeah, I'll admit straight up I disliked Leach when he first arrived.  Waaaaaay too many 3 yard outs on 3rd and 5 for my taste.  I joked about his offense too.

7 win seasons seem so fleeting these days...

9 win rebuilders would now be the high point of a decade.

We pay too much for winners.  We like access and shit.  Guys like Mike and Kirby just come in here to our little town and take advantage of everyone...

Edited by Iceman

I don't get anyone crapping on Wells after his first year.

Recruiting at Tech has been awful the past 3 years.

They could easily got a few breaks this year and been 8-4. The Baylor game was stolen from them on the road.

Wells can coach, players love him and recruiting has picked up significantly. His blue collar approach will work with the kids all over West Texas, he just needs time to get enough of them into his system of doing things.  If your looking for a nine win team anytime soon, join the club.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't get anyone crapping on Wells after his first year.

Recruiting at Tech has been awful the past 3 years.

They could easily got a few breaks this year and been 8-4. The Baylor game was stolen from them on the road.

Wells can coach, players love him and recruiting has picked up significantly. His blue collar approach will work with the kids all over West Texas, he just needs time to get enough of them into his system of doing things.  If your looking for a nine win team anytime soon, join the club.

Well said.

Pigmeat & some others like him have this notion that Wells inherited ample talent from KK and should have just been able to plug and play and win 7-8 games right out of the gate.  Statistically speaking, that's not going to happen most of the time, but especially not when you've inherited decent, but not great, starters with absolutely zero depth to speak of behind them.  Tag on a few injuries in key spots, and it's a recipe for a disastrous season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Re: the article(s) mentioned above about the fanbase. 

I saw Tech travel to Morgantown, WV to play a 3 win team at 11:00am in front of a packed house. So, what's my opinion of Tech's fanbase? We suck.

You could sort of draw this conclusion from the rest of what you wrote, but could it be that the difference between WVU's fan support versus Tech's in 2019 was that this is their first losing season since 2013 and only their second since Rich Rod's first year there in 2001, while we just suffered through our 6th losing season in 10 years?

Edited by Dirk X West

19 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

So, by virtue of your question, I guess your defense is he hasn't hired many football coaches.  Yep, no experience, that's what you want in a top 5 paid AD.  And you liked the Tubby hire?  Hocutt slightly preceded the fiasco that was the Billy Clyde hire.  He's gold is what he is.

He had one mediocre hire at Miami, and his one bad one at Tech was the guy that 99.99% of all people involved with Tech in capacity wanted as HC at the time. 

We have to wait and see what happens with Wells.  Believe or not, there have been many successful head coaches that had a losing season at the start of their tenure at a particular school.  There are two very good coaches in our league that are good examples of this, namely Campbell and Rhule. 

That hardly constitutes a pattern that would allow a rational person to conclude that "Hocutt can't hire football coaches".

And, yes, Tubby Smith rescued Tech men's basketball from the dumpster fire that started with Pat Knight, not BCG.

Edited by Dirk X West
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

You could sort of draw this conclusion from the rest of what you wrote, but could it be that the difference between WVU's fan support versus Tech's in 2019 was that this is their first losing season since 2013 and only their second since Rich Rod's first year there in 2001, while we just suffered through our 6th losing season in 10 years?

That's a fair enough comment. However, this Wells staff didn't officially have a losing season until the end of game 11. 

And at the start of a that game (an odd 6:00pm kick, mind you) as well as the week before for game 10 - it was quieter than a church library.

The "fans" demanded to see change from the new staff yet refused to change their own apathy born of poor seasons past.

4 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

That's a fair enough comment. However, this Wells staff didn't officially have a losing season until the end of game 11. 

And at the start of a that game (an odd 6:00pm kick, mind you) as well as the week before for game 10 - it was quieter than a church library.

The "fans" demanded to see change from the new staff yet refused to change their own apathy born of poor seasons past.

Hell, Leach didn't get a fair shake until NC State game in 2002. Before that no one really stayed until the end of the game or expected any comebacks. Back then, like now, basketball (twilight years of Knight) was the premier sport. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

OK, but 5 losing seasons out of 9 doesn't sound much better.

Fans get on board when you win, and when you lose a lot they lose interest.  It's pretty much universal.  The only time I would call out any fanbase is if their team is winning and they still don't show up and make noise.