A Sidecar

idahorn

Not the motorcycle attachment, but the classic drink. Invented in a bar in Paris during WW1.

1 part Cointreau

2 parts fresh lemon juice

8 parts Cognac

Shake vigorously with plenty of cracked ice and strain into chilled cocktail glasses; a twist of lemon may be used if desired, but no other garnish.

Edited by idahorn

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Nice thread, thanks for the idea. Having one now and it really hits the spot.

What type of Cognac do you guys prefer?

Remy Louis XIII.

But seriously, in a sidecar, anything not swill will work. I tend to have Remy XO on hand because I don't drink a ton of Cognac so the bottle lasts me a year. Remy VSOP is good too, as is Martell.

I was in Salt Lake City on business and discovered what they refer to as a sidecar....

By law bartenders cannot free pour booze. Max booze in any drink is 3/4 ounce measured shot. Sidecar is an extra 3/4 ounce shot that you order separately from your cocktail of choice. Server delivers both to your table. You pour your sidecar into your cocktail and enjoy.

That was just one of various bizarre alcohol rules encountered on that trip.

Bernard

Thoughts on using Armagnac or another brandy for your sidecars? 

Or, really, any recommendations for when I want to make rounds on the cheap. I typically keep a handle of Christian Brothers brandy on hand for when we host and I make a bunch of sidecars, since you can get through a bottle of nicer cognac after one or two rounds. No one seems to be the wiser, and it's good enough for most groups we have over.