True Detective Season 3

Loved this season. Dont mind red herring since they built up to that conclusion. True Detective stays with the theme of how tragedies impact others.

Impressed how they interwove his dementia into the story. Was half-way expecting the son to put the note into a drawer with a big stack of other notes.

Great season.

• Like 1

It's not going to mollify any of the indignant teeth-gnashers, but I thought this was an interesting idea to consider. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/02/true-detective-season-3-finale-what-happened-to-amelia-was-wayne-dead-the-whole-time

I was tangentially reminded of Jacob's Ladder earlier in the season as well - the ghosts in his study, the mysterious car (a little bit of Stephen King's Low Men vibes there too...), and maybe another time or two when the "guy who brought demons back from Vietnam" trope was unavoidable. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
On 2/26/2019 at 12:14 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Everyone expected a grand conspiracy in season 1 and it was simply a loony groundskeeper Willie.

No, it wasn't.

There was indeed a murdering pedophile ring.  It involved Rev Tuttle and many others, as evidenced by the video Rust stole that showed the rape and murder of the missing little girl.  It clearly went back to the Tuttle patriarch, and many missing children were covered up law enforcement.

Groundskeeper Willie kind of upped the ante when it came to serial killer tally, but Cohl sent a ton of material to the media implicating Louisiana officials.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Dug up this thread because I was reading the Variety interview with Stephen Dorff, and he was talking about playing Roland West.  This line caught me:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/stephen-dorff-true-detective-deputy-interview-1203226055/

You mention Roland coming from a ranch and rodeo culture, which sometimes can inform a person’s physicality and way of speaking as much as geography. How did you approach things like his accent?

I didn’t want to overdo it, but I did think he should have an accent. [Nic] told me Oklahoma at first, but then he said, “Roland’s too cool to be from Oklahoma,” so he changed it to Texas. Meanwhile, nobody knows this; it was just our backstory for me.

Edited by Liquor and Poker
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished season 3... the ending was quite anticlimactic and I agree with everyone that the marital issues storyline was a fucking waste of time. However... still way better than season 2. 

Also I really liked Stephen Dorff. Like I really wanna just sit down and have a beer with that dude.... I can't say that about any of the actors or characters in season 2. 

Just finished season 3... the ending was quite anticlimactic and I agree with everyone that the marital issues storyline was a fucking waste of time. However... still way better than season 2. 
Also I really liked Stephen Dorff. Like I really wanna just sit down and have a beer with that dude.... I can't say that about any of the actors or characters in season 2. 

068e6d9ebf534ba53e4a9eece1996f90.gif