Strap them kids in, give 'em a little bit of vodka

Al_4_ISU

Since I'm busy resurrecting Shaggy threads, it's time to bring the stone cold brilliance of James McMurtry here.

There have been so many dusty nights in the field that I've just cranked this song, watching the sun go down across the vast, empty expanse in front of me.  Fuck.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 3

Cool memory from some time in 2001, stumbling into Saxon Pub with a date and it's a solid blues jam night. Great vibe but it doesn't matter much. My date's rubbing all up and down my jeans like they're some damn worry beads. We're probably annoying some music purists. Over my shoulder, sitting alone at the tall 4-top table nearest the door is this quiet, almost frail nerdy dude scribbling notes onto a pad. He looks like the kinda guy who wants to tell you about how things were better at the "Arma-dilla" and "original-orginal" Antones, before the Dellionaires starting fucking everything up or maybe how he almost got to make out with Patty Griffin one time. I notice him and then I don't.

Until the singer on stage stops and asks him to come up and play. He shyly, almost begrudgingly walks up there and plugs in. I'm expecting some grooved out Gordon Lightfoot type shit, at best, but even that's not going to spoil this night. I'm prepared to give polite applause.

So, yeah, turns out to be James McMurtry and blows the fucking doors off the place with Choctaw Bingo. Mesmerizing introduction to this singular talent. It was jaw-on-the-floor good and utterly unexpected. He quits after just the one song and shuffles back to his note pad. My date congratulates his brave effort like a soccer mom would a fat 8-yr-old at a gymnastics competition. He's too in-his-own-world to be offended. Cool night. Obviously, big fan ever since.

Edited by Lou Loomis
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been going through all of the streaming performances on Youtube like the one above. They are fantastic. Just McMurtry and his guitars (with the occasional appearance from one of his dogs). The set lists span his entire career. He also plays stuff off the new album. I can't recommend these enough.