Aloft Hotel LAX

Gil Bang

Recently opened. A major remodel of an old hotel.

They have no heat. I’m not saying it’s broken, they simply don’t have it.

Upon check in, they say “call the front desk if you need extra blankets or a space heater”. I opt for the space heater. Fucking circuit blows in the middle of the night and there are no lights. I had to piss by the glow of my I phone.

Don’t stay there

I stayed there once when I was "commuting" back and forth to LA weekly.   Aside from the racket of the airport and the damn multicolored lights in the room that you couldn't turn off, it wasn't the worst.  But that might also be because I walked down to the bowling alley a block away and drank pitchers and bowled solo for about 5 straight hours that night.

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I stayed at the one in Phoenix.  It definitely felt like lipstick on a pig type renovation of an older hotel.  Too hipstery for me.

I believe we call that a "Vic Mackey special" hotel.

I don't think you're supposed to call Aloft a "hotel". It distresses them.

Got a newish one down the way that they built from scratch. Very edgyyyy bare concrete. Bar's OK and I always bump into the same guys who used to make custom guitar straps for people like John Entwistle. It's that kind of random. Has spawned subculture of surrounding restaurants that are a bit foo-foo but the food tastes good. (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to call them "restaurants.")

Stayed at an Aloft one time. No ice machine; you could go down to the front desk and ask for ice, and they'd bring you a paper cup full of ice.

I mean, you even tell them the guy in the bathtub is going to bleed out before he wakes up unless you have more ice. Do they care? No, one paper cup of ice is all you get.