The Stoner Rock Thread

Patricio Swayze

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Wikipedia says Red Fang counts. Plus I needed a reason to post one of the greatest music videos ever. 

I chatted with the drummer for a bit at one of their shows opening for Mastodon. Super nice guy. 

Talking to James from White Denim one day, he told me  they have the same management company as Red Fang and that this video concept was offered to them first and they turned it down thinking it'd be lame.  He saw the final video and instantly regretted it.

• 1 year later...
This thread is long overdue a bump. Some quality stoner rock coming to town -- Sasquatch and Nebula will play at Lost Well in Austin on August 27th.

Damn. That sounds like a solid bill. If I still lived in Austin I am sure I would be at that show. I miss the days when I was part of that stoner rock community.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Damn. There are a lot of days I miss being up to my neck in this scene. Engineering and mixing albums by Hognose, SuperHeavyGoatAss, Activator (austin/San Marcos bands). Putting out records with my homie on our label. I don’t miss being poor though.

Did any of y’all post or lurk the old stonerrock.com forums? Man, that place was great in the early 2000s. A couple forums emerged from the ashes, but it was never the same. Actually, it was that void of an online community that shaggy filled for me.

I also loved how while stoner rock/desert rock could be a fairly defined genre, it grew to be a scene with many genres within it. Often because of bands having the same members but playing different styles.  Fu Manchu and Sleep are pretty different stylistically, but both are seen as OGs of Stoner Rock (along with Kyuss).  For me the bands in the late 60s and into the 70s can almost be seen as “proto stoner rock” in the way that the Stooges are seen as proto-punk. 

Anyways, here is one I love from Sweden’s Mammoth Volume:

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I never got into pavement, so I can’t really say. Can you suggest some songs to check out?

Cut Your Hair was their most well know song. They were on the non sludgy side of the stoner genre, but some good tunes. I wasn't a mega fan or anything just give them props for being some OGs from that Fu Manchu and Kyuss era.

Cut Your Hair was their most well know song. They were on the non sludgy side of the stoner genre, but some good tunes. I wasn't a mega fan or anything just give them props for being some OGs from that Fu Manchu and Kyuss era.

Ah, yes, I know that song. I am definitely not trying to argue your point, but I am not sure I see the connection. To me they seem much closer to Weezer (power pop/geek rock or whatever).

Here are a couple that I engineered, mixed and released. I loved working with Hognose and really loved both of their albums. Maybe Melvins meets Sabbath? And SuperHeavyGoatAss were a trip. Bunch of country boys that discovered drugs and rock and went at it.  These were ripped and uploaded by someone else over a decade ago so sound quality is ass.  Hognose vocals might not be to everyone’s liking but I dig it for this style and the riffs are awesome, especially at 4:10. I wish I hadn’t buried the drums so much. I also wish I had better studio gear back then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Aside from everything already in this thread, definitely recommend going through King Buffalo's entire catalog on whatever service you enjoy.  Love the Fu and Sleep.  QoTSA of course (to me Rated R had the most 'stoner' quality to it.

I still think that the self titled is their best. After Songs for the Death they more or less lost me except for a few songs here in there.
  • Like 1

i saw orange goblin at barracuda or red 7, whatever it was at the time...and there were about 20 people in attendance. don't think they've come to austin since. it was a good show. also saw them at sxsw that same year and they incessantly complained about the "broiling fucking heat", it was about 80 degrees and quite pleasant. 

• Like 1

good call on tia carrera, try to catch them a few times every year. used to see them religiously at room 710 for their friday happy hour set. 
do the melvins qualify as stoner rock? i think so

Man, Room 710 was great. We had a cool label showcase there.

Melvins, for me, is one of those bands that fits into several genres.

1 minute ago, stc said:

good call on tia carrera, try to catch them a few times every year. used to see them religiously at room 710 for their friday happy hour set. 

do the melvins qualify as stoner rock? i think so

Maybe partially? I dunno. They were the fastest band in the world at one point.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

They are often sited as proto sludge metal as well. They definitely had a lot of influence on various stoner rock bands.

Did y’all ever pick up the Sucking the 70s compilation albums Small Stone put out? Cool 70s covers by various stoner rock bands.

Yeah they turned into the slowest band in the world lol. They ate very hard to pin down. Dale Crover is one of my favorite drummers speaking of them.

The two Jethro Tull covers on those disc's are fantastic. I'm not the biggest Clutch fan but that shit was good.