Yesterday

PittsburghTiger

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

TS, if it seems like you’re a lone wolf, I agree the lead was at best an ok singer, nothing special as a vocalist, and I too don’t consider the music “great” as performed (though “Long and Winding Road”:was well done, a few others were fine). At least the film did get you to break out the real thing. I was more disturbed (is “disturbed” the right word?) about someone putting out into the world The Beatles catalogue without regard to their timeline: the happy, poppy songs of 1964 are drastically different than the edgier/psychedelic/contemplative music that would follow as the lads evolved. 

But I guess that doesn’t matter as much if it’s newcomer Jack Malik performing, as opposed to the John/Paul/Ringo and George whom you’ve lived with for seven, eight years.

And I am a sap for films like Notting Hill and Love Actually (except for the horrific Laura Linney storyline), so I’m more open to sentimental pablum. This was more along the lines of Curtis’ About Time, another movie you’d probably dislike. 

I still really, really enjoy Notting Hill. Love Actually is dreck. The only storyline I can remotely stand is Hugh Grant. The rest is just painful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

My first experience with Lily James, and I’m in love. 

The whole point of visiting John Lennon instead of spotting Paul and Ringo playing in a pub is that John was never famous and therefore was never murdered... a redeeming consequence of the inexplicable dimension shift.

And the Oasis bit was sly and funny.

I have this Lily James/Lily Collins sandwich fantasy...

I am a seriously biased Fab4phile, grew up with the Beatles, rushed to buy every LP, saw them live in ATL two nights after Shea in '65, have 1965 Ludwigs, on and on.

I reveled in Yesterday, but hell I reveled in Across the Universe.  Saw Yesterday in a theater with a powerful sound system, which helped.   I not aware of the Lennon cameo shock coming at the end.  

When the door to his beach cottage swung open, the audience gasped as one.  The others and I were zoomed backward to December 8, 1980, just another day in the world of Yesterday.  He was never murdered.  Cosell never told the world about it on MNF.

Don't mind telling you, the tears ran in that theater, and some of them were mine.

If you lived the sixties and are now in yours, this film is worth your time.  These guys did change the world and for the better.  Bravo to the creators and players of this clever film.

If you couldn't wrap your head around the fact that Lennon would probably still be alive because he wasn't famous, then I suggest you don't watch time travel movies.

The laugh in a quick but short scene seeing Ringo and Paul playing in a pub to 7 people would have been damn funny.

Saw this on HBO.  I thought it was really good and I am not the biggest Beatles fan but do respect their role in music history and do like most of their music.  I liked the songs when they were played just on the piano and broken down to their core.  I also noticed when he went and visited John, the boat they were sitting on was named Imagine.  

Edited by Moby Ric