Miami

Pig Bellmont

“Bouncin in the club where the heat is on” and all that. I’m headed to Miami with the wife for a few days. Any recommendations for restaurants or things to see?

I looked back 3 pages but didn’t find a thread on here. I’m sure we’ve had some south FL discussion tho. Someone make sure to reply before Mr Phlegm longcats this thread

• 2 years later...

So the owner of our rental in Seaside pulled the house from the rental pool, so we are left without a place to go Spring Break.  I am thinking about taking the tribe to Miami instead (kids need new passports and by the time we won't get them in time).  Probably will just do a 4 night trip since I am busy at work and the 30a cancellation was a blessing.

Want a good hotel on the beach in a good location.  Not all that worried about cost.  Anyone got anything?  I have barely spent any time in Miami outside of connecting in the airport. Wife and me plus kids are ages 12 and 9.

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

So the owner of our rental in Seaside pulled the house from the rental pool, so we are left without a place to go Spring Break.  I am thinking about taking the tribe to Miami instead (kids need new passports and by the time we won't get them in time).  Probably will just do a 4 night trip since I am busy at work and the 30a cancellation was a blessing.

Want a good hotel on the beach in a good location.  Not all that worried about cost.  Anyone got anything?  I have barely spent any time in Miami outside of connecting in the airport. Wife and me plus kids are ages 12 and 9.

All I can say is that I stayed at the Fontainebleu and went to Joe's Stone Crab about ten years ago and both were awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Not all that worried about cost. 

Now that's a Surly 1% humblebrag.

There's a great Peruvian restaurant downtown that we ate at a couple of years ago. Stayed at a Hilton downtown for a couple of days before leaving on a cruise. Did all the regular tourist things. That's all I got. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Kids ages? If you don't care about SoBe scene, stay at the Aqualina but get a suite with the extra room. 

50 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d just go to St John and rent a villa. No passport needed. It’s awesome. The worst beach we went to, would’ve been the best we’d ever gone to, if we hadn’t gone to the other four.

Was looking hard at USVI; ended up doing Disney yet again. Blah.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d just go to St John and rent a villa. No passport needed. It’s awesome. The worst beach we went to, would’ve been the best we’d ever gone to, if we hadn’t gone to the other four.

We are actually punting on a resort in the Keys to do a Villa type house at the Ritz in St Thomas

• 1 year later...

Heading to South Beach for a long weekend next month. Just the wife and myself, staying at SLS.

Any recs for places to eat and drink? Will probably head down to Nikki Beach for a brunch or lunch because we generally like the Nikki Beach scene. What else?

Is the pool party at SLS any good or just a bro-fest? Other pool parties or daytime hangout spots we should consider?

Paging ChiTownDoc.

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Heading to South Beach for a long weekend next month. Just the wife and myself, staying at SLS.

Any recs for places to eat and drink? Will probably head down to Nikki Beach for a brunch or lunch because we generally like the Nikki Beach scene. What else?

Is the pool party at SLS any good or just a bro-fest? Other pool parties or daytime hangout spots we should consider?

Paging ChiTownDoc.

Bring your AR to South Beach.  Shit is on fire...Joe's Stone Crabs is wonderful, nice topless scene on the beach and a lot of banana hammocks too.  

We're headed to Miami for a couple of days tomorrow.

If you want Cuban food in South Beach go to Sazon.  Very good (my wife is Cuban) and huge portions.  We'll probably eat at one of the Prime restaurants as I feel Joe's is overrated.  Prime Seafood is a good, although very expensive, alternative.

For good Mexican Lola's Cantina at the Marriott Stanton South Beach is priced well for food and drink.  At the very least it's a place in SOBE where you don't have to spend $25 for a cocktail.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taking my wife to Miami Beach for her birthday... booked a hotel at around 18th and Collins which is near plenty of stuff but separated from the most chaotic areas (once stayed at The Breakwater on Ocean b/w 9th and 10th.  #badideajeans) and for one I'm thinking on just passing on a rental car and walking everywhere.  Anyone done that?  I like the idea of just focusing on local trolleys, Uber, walking, bikes, etc. than worrying about a car rental and the absurd prices.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Taking my wife to Miami Beach for her birthday... booked a hotel at around 18th and Collins which is near plenty of stuff but separated from the most chaotic areas (once stayed at The Breakwater on Ocean b/w 9th and 10th.  #badideajeans) and for one I'm thinking on just passing on a rental car and walking everywhere.  Anyone done that?  I like the idea of just focusing on local trolleys, Uber, walking, bikes, etc. than worrying about a car rental and the absurd prices.

Never rent a car in Miami. walk and Uber, which are cheap compared to other cities. 

11 minutes ago, next2naus said:

Never rent a car in Miami. walk and Uber, which are cheap compared to other cities. 

I rented a car in Miami 3 months ago but just feel like it this time... then again, I was in Coral Gables so maybe not quite the same thing.  

But, yes, thank you!

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Stayed in Miami several days before going on a cruise. Walked out ubered everywhere. If you go into downtown Miami there's a really good Peruvian restaurant we went to. Cvi.che 105. So good. Looks like they have one in Miami Beach as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Stayed in Miami several days before going on a cruise. Walked out ubered everywhere. If you go into downtown Miami there's a really good Peruvian restaurant we went to. Cvi.che 105. So good. Looks like they have one in Miami Beach as well. 

I'm starting to get this gut feel from a lot of sources... just "park" in Miami Beach and stay relatively local.  We'll be about two blocks from Lincoln Road but I know there's just tons of restaurants down there anyway.  Our hotel apparently also provides beach chairs and towels for free.  Just about all hotels have a mixed bag of reviews and usually due to noise and staff that is indifferent or doesn't speak English (I speak Spanish so I don't care) but the place we chose seems to be on the higher end of positive feedback.  If I want quiet, I'll go stay over towards the Fountainbleau / Eden Roc but would rather be further south.

We actually stayed in Miami, and took a Uber to Miami Beach for an afternoon/ evening. We did eat dinner there, but a couple of blocks of the beach at a burger place we walked by so did zero research on Miami Beach. I can give you tips on little Havana, but that's about it.