horse racing thread

BigOrange1

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of action in this thread lately. 

Arcangelo took the lead at the top of the stretch and won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, making Jena Antonucci the first female trainer to win the race in its 155 years.

After the horse crossed the finish line, Antonucci doubled over and rested her arm and her head on the back of a chair. She kissed the horse on the nose when it returned to the area in front of the winner's circle.

Arcangelo finished the 1 1/2-mile race in 2:29.23 and by 1 1/2 lengths in front of favored Forte, with Tapit Trice third.

"I give all the credit to the horse," said jockey Javier Castello, who rode Mage to victory in the Kentucky Derby and got this mount when that colt did not run in the Belmont. "This is a wonderful horse. I'm really happy for her, you know, she's a really good woman. She's a good horseman."

https://www.espn.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/37832965/arcangelo-wins-belmont-stakes-jena-antonucci-first-female-trainer-win

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Attended Keeneland over the weekend for Bluegrass Stakes.  Sierra Leone took forever to load into the gate, but what a beast.  Favorite for Kentucky Derby at this point.

And Keeneland -- what a great atmosphere. Packed with 40,000 in attendance and another several thousand tailgating outside. It's cool how the UK kids support racing.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

dang, sierra leone was high up on my list too.  i usually shy away from picking the winner from the 1 or 2 post, so leaning towards the two justify offspring plus honor marie.  great value in all three of those, and better starting positions.

Love Sierra Leone, and love closers for no other reason than I like watching them pick off horses as the turn on the jets. Having said that, I'm not sure I trust Sierra Leone to navigate the traffic, and while this is one of the more wide open Derby's in my opinion, Fierceness is just an absolute machine. I don't like his post, but he checks all the boxes, BSF, BP, RAN, final fractions etc

33 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Love Sierra Leone, and love closers for no other reason than I like watching them pick off horses as the turn on the jets. Having said that, I'm not sure I trust Sierra Leone to navigate the traffic, and while this is one of the more wide open Derby's in my opinion, Fierceness is just an absolute machine. I don't like his post, but he checks all the boxes, BSF, BP, RAN, final fractions etc

yeah the more i've looked into it the more i think Fierceness is probably just too good.  Leaning Fierceness over some combinition of Sierra Leone, Just a Touch, and Catching Freedom.

I’ve been to a couple of Derby’s back in the 90’s. Wouldn’t think of going now. Kentucky dipshits in ridiculous hats combined with celebrity out of towners. Who wears a fucking suit and bow tie to a day of racing? Who wears a fucking now tie? My old man taught me never trust a man in a bow tie unless he’s in a tuxedo or handing you an ice cream cone.

Should be a great race. I’m interested in how this Japanese horse does.

I’m 65 and can’t recall a three way photo that close. Ther is nothing like live racing when they make the turn at head of the stretch.

Still, no athlete, horse or human, has been as dominating as Secretariat. Big Red was a special fucking horse.

• Hook 'Em 1

that was a fucking awesome finish.  i had thought Fierceness might be the next coming of American Pharoah but obviously not.  Sierra Leone looks like the best of them to me.  My guess is he's the favorite in the Belmont.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

The second leg of the Triple Crown will kick off Saturday, May 18 with the 149th running of the Preakness Stakes from Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore. Kentucky Derby winner Mystik Dan (8-5) will look to continue his bid for the first Triple Crown since Justify in 2018. Morning-line favorite Muth was scratched because of a fever on Wednesday morning, leaving the race with an eight-horse field

Post time for Saturday's 1 3/16-mile, $2 million race is 7:01 p.m. ET. 

Odds & jockeys