Liverpool FC: 20 for 20-21

Firemans4Horn

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I guess it will just be Milner. I dunno who else could even do it.

You're probably right but we also have Neco. He's hit a bit of a rough patch of late but he's shown well in the past and replaces at least a little of what TAA provides in terms of a threat going forward. Milner has a higher floor / lower ceiling and I would imagine that he'll get the start against Leicester, but maybe Neco gets the CL games, since we're just about home and dry?

I think it depends on who's good to go at CB.  If both Fabinho and Matip are, I could see them sliding Gomez over to the right.  Leicester and Atalanta aren't two teams I'd like to mess with defensively, but could also see Klopp playing Neco or Milner in the CL game.  Almost playing with house money and playing at Anfield for what that's worth.

10 hours ago, pied said:

I think it depends on who's good to go at CB.  If both Fabinho and Matip are, I could see them sliding Gomez over to the right.  Leicester and Atalanta aren't two teams I'd like to mess with defensively, but could also see Klopp playing Neco or Milner in the CL game.  Almost playing with house money and playing at Anfield for what that's worth.

I don’t ever see all 3 of our senior CB’s playing at the same time. Matip fitness/injuries limits him to a 1 game a week guy at best. Fabinho is best in a midfield 3. Going to have to rotate 2 of the 3 and go with Milner/Neco at RB. 

So Gomez had surgery to repair his tendon in his left knee and is probably out the remainder of the season. Heal up Joe and we'll see you next season.

Christ, we're so fucked. Glad we won it all last year. I thought injuries would be a factor this season with the short layoff. Hopefully we can hold the line until January and bring in some talent in the window. 

Edited by mdmost

Matip hasn't played two consecutive games in 14 months. I knew his record was bad but jfc that's atrocious.

Not really sure where we go from here. Even the best case scenario means losing Fabinho from the midfield for the entirety of the season, which would be devastating in and of itself. Rhys Williams is the most obvious choice to step up as our #2 CB but it's asking an awful lot from a 19-year old to play the majority of our remaining games. Sepp van den Berg looks full of mistakes and was already behind the others in the pecking order. Nat Phillips looked good against Moyesball but the idea of him facing Jamie Vardy gives me nightmares. 

We were already going to be in the market for a CB in January but now we basically need two, and we're gonna be held over the barrel given our desperation. Trust in Edwards and all, but damn. This is a tall order for even the deepest of squads.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I probably just doomed us again. At least it wasn't another soft tissue injury. I do not get why these soccer federations are still going forward with shuttling footballers back and forth in the middle of a pandemic. 

Speculation is he caught it at a wedding but it doesn't really matter. I've accepted that everyone is going to get it regardless of any measures taken.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I probably just doomed us again. At least it wasn't another soft tissue injury. I do not get why these soccer federations are still going forward with shuttling footballers back and forth in the middle of a pandemic. 

Salah was dancing his ass off at his brother’s wedding without a mask. When I saw that video a few days ago I knew the covid positive test would come out soon. 

family of dumbasses. 

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Speculation is he caught it at a wedding but it doesn't really matter. I've accepted that everyone is going to get it regardless of any measures taken.

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Salah was dancing his ass off at his brother’s wedding without a mask. When I saw that video a few days ago I knew the covid positive test would come out soon. 

family of dumbasses. 

Goddammit. 

The Leicester game got moved to Sunday but I don't know if that would help with the quarantine time. Thiago and Mane's time seemed really brief. 

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Thinking like you.  Also wondering how long the season continues as is.  

So assuming the worst (i.e Robbo, Hendo, Salah, Thiago, Fabinho, and Ox all out, plus the long-term injuries), how the hell do we line up?

----------------------Alisson

Neco ----Rhys Williams ----Matip ---- Tsimikas

Wijnaldum ---- Naby ---- Curtis

Jota ------ Firmino ----- Mané 

Suppose we could see Minamino or Shaq in there, but I'd like to keep Shaq as the option to come off the bench for Curtis or Naby. No way does Nat Phillips get the assignment vs Vardy. Buck has to be licking his chops at the thought of playing against a back line featuring exactly zero first-team outfielders.