EPL 2020-21

Firemans4Horn

10 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Nah. That’s a straight red. You go to the head face with fists or head. 

think about how severe the penalty is for a straight red. there's nothing else so severe in all of sports. a player gets ejected, he also gets suspended, and his team goes down a man. that's so fucking severe, for a player to be able to "earn" a red card by pretending/faking/acting/flopping around like giant, embarrassing, gaping pussy is honestly ridiculous. did they get the call wrong today? no, according the the rules they did not. is what Pepé did today deserving of the harshest penalty in all of sports? fuck that. LonghornJudas is 100% right. It's terrible for the game to have such a severe penalty handed out for what amounts to fucking nothing. 

Edited by shadow_operative

an Arsenal player caught an intentional elbow to the head late in the game today, but because he didn't fall to the ground like he'd been shot (it was late in the game, we were a man down, and the player- Gabriel- was defending the 18 yard box and marking the man on the ball, so flopping to the ground like a kansas city faggot was not an option) there wasn't so much as even a foul call. another Arsenal player caught a tackle that went over the ball, studs up, and into his shin, and that guy didn't even receive a yellow. there were 20 plays today that were more dangerous and egregious than Pepe's "headbutt", but that play is a "justified" red card because of some shameful acting. gtfoh.

This is the same as when the NBA passed the bench rule for fights. They are doing it to legislate bad actions out of the game. The NBA didn't want Jeff Van Gundy clinging to player's legs, TPTB in soccer don't want players fighting, headhunting, etc. So going to the head gets you tossed.

And this is the ideal rule - take the decision making out of the hands of the refs - just make the action a red card. It happened, give a red. As we see with the handball calls, if there is some decision making, the refs most likely will screw it up.

Frankly, given the way the rule is written/worded, if you get tossed for this happening, the only person the blame is the person that gets tossed, especially with VAR.

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

...did they get the call wrong today? no, according the the rules they did not...

The defense rests.

• Haha 1

reading is hard, i know, but can you guys maybe try and keep up with the actual topic of discussion here? did LonghornJudas ask if yesterday's call was the correct call according to the rules, or did he say that he thinks that soccer should be more like the NBA in these situations and not levy such harsh punishments for such benign actions while rewarding people for flopping and faking being assaulted?

you two parroting that a red card was the right call under the current rules is tangential to the discussion. you either agree that it's a good rule or you don't. Judas and I think it's harsh (and pretty pathetic) for such a severe rule which rewards what's frankly some pretty embarrassing acting with a red card, suspension, and making his team play a man down. maybe you agree, or maybe you think it's a great rule that shouldn't be changed. feel free to join in the actual discussion any time. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

reading is hard, i know, but can you guys maybe try and keep up with the actual topic of discussion here? did LonghornJudas ask if yesterday's call was the correct call according to the rules, or did he say that he thinks that soccer should be more like the NBA in these situations and not levy such harsh punishments for such benign actions while rewarding people for flopping and faking being assaulted?

you two parroting that a red card was the right call under the current rules is tangential to the discussion. you either agree that it's a good rule or you don't. Judas and I think it's harsh (and pretty pathetic) for such a severe rule which rewards what's frankly some pretty embarrassing acting with a red card, suspension, and making his team play a man down. maybe you agree, or maybe you think it's a great rule that shouldn't be changed. feel free to join in the actual discussion any time. 

Here's my take.  I hear you but in the end it's a dumb point.  Reason is that HEAD BUTTING  a player to any level, from Zidane to this one is entirely preventable.  It's not going into a challenge and getting there late, it's not looking back at the ball and reaching high and catching a guy's head.  It's not nearly anything except pushing your head into someone else's.  As someone mentioned, it also is a great rule for the refs.  They don't have to discern the severity.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

You can have whatever discussion you want, but you're going to miss the forest for the trees, because the fact of the matter is that it IS the rule and Pepe is a fucking moron for trying to get away with that shit when they have cameras all over and can go to replay whenever they want. 

If a Leeds player had done that, and Arsenal had managed to score an open play goal for the first time in 5 matches, I seriously doubt you would be up in arms about the rule and how it's overly punitive.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You can have whatever discussion you want, but you're going to miss the forest for the trees, because the fact of the matter is that it IS the rule and Pere is a fucking moron for trying to get away with that shit when they have cameras all over and can go to replay whenever they want. 

If a Leeds player had done that, and Arsenal had managed to score an open play goal for the first time in 5 matches, I seriously doubt you would be up in arms about the rule and how it's overly punitive.

re: your first paragraph, i'll reiterate once again that the entire discussion is about whether or not it's a good/fair rule, not whether or not the play was called correctly according to the rules, so i don't know what in the fuck point it is that you think you're making. YOU are the one who isn't following the discussion here.

and re: your second paragraph, yeah, you don't get to play that card with me, as I was *just* in here during the last match day railing against a ruling just like this that went in Arsenal's favor when Aston Villa had a goal taken away from them on a rule that I think is BS. so that's 0-for-2 for you. any more thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You should throw a few Bruv's around and go on AFTV. 

Oi m8 absolute rubbish that. Just a wee tap of the ed - dust off ya knickers and quit flopping around ya bloody poofta. 

Absolute fookin travesty VAR is. Let em play the bloody game. Studs up if ye can get away with it. Never hurt nobody.

I'll have another ale, sweetheart 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Oi m8 absolute rubbish that. Just a wee tap of the ed - dust off ya knickers and quit flopping around ya bloody poofta. 

Absolute fookin travesty VAR is. Let em play the bloody game. Studs up if ye can get away with it. Never hurt nobody.

I'll have another ale, sweetheart 

YOU HEAR ME FAM???

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You should throw a few Bruv's around and go on AFTV. 

you're hilarious bro. the lack of self awareness seriously makes me laugh out loud, and it's about time that i share that with you. you've never posted so much as a single substantive or original thought on this forum. every post you make is shit talk and trolling, and yet you still make comments like this towards other posters. you make Troopz look like a scholar. you're the most AFTV poster on this board. the fact that you don't see that is hilarious, bruv.

If you want to talk about the validity of the rule fine.

Is the rule that hitting a player in the head, no matter how hard or soft, with any part of your body (hand, head, foot, etc) will result in your getting a red card a good rule?

Yes.

This has nothing to due with diving, embellishing, or anything else. That might draw attention to it happening, but in the end, it changes nothing a player hit another player on the head and the red card they got was 100% deserved.

And it's a good one because it helps clean up the game. Because when you get anything like this kind of go you end up with the shithouse play like what ended up happening when Madrid went to Spurs about 4 years ago and Dembele and Ramos were beating the shit out of each other late in the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, shadow_operative said:

you're hilarious bro. the la k of self awareness seriously makes me laugh out loud, and it's just about time that i share that with you. you've never posted so much as a single substantive or original thought on this forum, every post you make is shit talk and trolling, and yet you still make comments like this to other posters. you make Troopz look like a scholar. you're the most AFTV poster on this board. the fact that you don't see that is hilarious, bruv.

You should make a video about me. I'd be honored! 

the very first clip in this video shows KD and Westbrook going head to head the exact same way that Pepé and Alioki did yesterday. The only difference(s)? Russ didn't fall to the ground like he'd been shot so that the officials could stop play and go review the tape, KD wasn't ejected, and then suspended, and the Warriors were not forced to play 4 vs 5 the rest of the game. i like that a helluva lot more than what we have in the EPL/world football, and i seriously doubt that a single one of you truly feels any different.

I'll bite and talk about the actual rule for a sec. Even though it's a stupid derailment in the middle of the season when there are more interesting things we could be discussing. Like Arsenal's inability to create offense despite having the best striker in the PL.

If you headbutt a guy during the middle of an NBA game you are getting without question a flagrant 2 - which carries a hefty fine by default - and probably looking at a 1-2 game suspension. So is it an overbearing, ticky tack rule in the NBA? A sport where just as much contact is allowed?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the very first clip in this video shows KD and Westbrook going head to head the exact same way that Pepé and Alioki did yesterday. The only difference(s)? Russ didn't fall to the ground like he'd been shot so that the officials could stop play and go review the tape, KD wasn't ejected, and then suspended, and the Warriors were not forced to play 4 vs 5 the rest of the game. i like that a helluva lot more than what we have in the EPL/world football, and i seriously doubt that a single one of you truly feels any different.

What? They aren't the same at all. One was unprovoked during the middle of play. The other was after the whistle with both guys leaning into each other, running their mouths the entire time.

What KD and Russ did there might draw a yellow for each but I doubt it.

Here's a much better example:

Edited by ztejas

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'll bite and talk about the actual rule for a sec. Even though it's a stupid derailment in the middle of the season when there are more interesting things we could be discussing. Like Arsenal's inability to create offense despite having the best striker in the PL.

it's funny how fans of other clubs are making a much bigger deal out of Arsenal's struggles than we are. i don't know what you all expected, but i've known that this shit is not going to get turned around overnight for some time now. as has been discussed in this thread, Arsenal went from a midfield of Santi, Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta, Ozil, and Oxlade-Chamberlain, to losing all of those guys and failing to replace them. we're never going to have any sustained success in attack as long as that's the case. i saw a mind blowing stat from before the Villa match two weeks ago- Auba's XG on the year is 3; not 30; 3. that's how pathetic our midfield has been/will continue to be until we get some actual players in. 

so while you guys are over here acting like Arsenal fans should be freaking out and worrying about relegation, i'm over here going, "damn, we've played away matches against Man U, Man City, Liverpool, and Leeds, and yet we still have the best defensive record in the EPL. We have one of the best keepers in the EPL; we have Auba signed to a long term deal; we've brought in the likes of Tierney, Saka, Partey, and Gabriel to help defensively, and they've been great. we're building a winning team piece by piece."

yeah, the rebuild still has a long way to go, but anyone with an objective look at our roster makeup can see that Arteta is actually doing some pretty fine work considering what he's got to work with in midfield. if we still look like this a year from now, then i'll be worried. until then, it's gonna be a whole lot of 1-0 and 0-0 games for Arsenal. it is what it is.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's funny how fans of other clubs are making a much bigger deal out of Arsenal's struggles than we are. i don't know what you all expected, but i've known that this shit is not going to get turned around overnight for some time now. as has been discussed in this thread, Arsenal went from a midfield of Santi, Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta, Ozil, and Oxlade-Chamberlain, to losing all of those guys and failing to replace them. we're never going to have any sustained success in attack as long as that's the case. i saw a mind blowing stat from before the Villa match two weeks ago- Auba's XG on the year is 3; not 30; 3. that's how pathetic our midfield has been/will continue to be until we get some actual players in. 

so while you guys are over here acting like Arsenal fans should be freaking out and worrying about relegation, i'm over here going, "damn, we've played away matches against Man U, Man City, Liverpool, and Leeds, and yet we still have the best defensive record in the EPL. We have one of the best keepers in the EPL; we have Auba signed to a long term deal; we've brought in the likes of Tierney, Saka, Partey, and Gabriel to help defensively, and they've been great. we're building a winning team piece by piece."

yeah, the rebuild still has a long way to go, but anyone with an objective look at our roster makeup can see that Arteta is actually doing some pretty fine work considering what he's got to work with in midfield. if we still look like this a year from now, then i'll be worried. until then, it's gonna be a whole lot of 1-0 and 0-0 games for Arsenal. it is what it is.

There weren't a lot of predictions made here, but basically everyone had you in the top 6 or 7. Two of us had Arsenal finishing 4th. Wanna guess who those 2 people were?

I don't think anyone expected Arsenal to actually contend this season, although here we are 9 matches in with 3 of the top 5 being Spurs, Leicester and SouthHam. The top 9 is rounded out by 4 more VERY dark horses.

So in a season like this, rebuild or not, being bottom 5 in GF is not exactly meeting expectations. I suppose if top 4 or even Europa was deemed to be off the table then it doesn't really matter- but both of those placings seem to be very up for grabs so far.

i wouldn't say Arsenal are meeting expectations, because we aren't. i would just say that every Arsenal fam knew coming into this season that if Dani Ceballos and/or Tomas Partey was our most creative midfielder that it could really be a struggle to score goals at times. did i expect *this* type of goal drought? hell no; this shit is beyond how bad i thought it would get, even at this stage. i'm just saying that i'm not freaking out, and i'm not resigning myself to the idea that Arteta is going to be a failure or anything like that. Until we add an Auoar, or Szoboszlai, or Isco (or 2 or 3 guys like that), we can't expect Arsenal to be a creative force while relying on Xhaka and El Neny in front of a back three.

At the end of the day I'm certain that Arteta wants to play a 4-3-3 like Manchester City, but that he's currently doing what he thinks is best right now while we lack the pieces to do so. Most of this season we've played a back three with Bellerin and Saka as wing backs, and Xhaka and El Neny/Partey in the middle. That's basically the soccer version of Tony Bennett's pack like defense right there. That's all defense, all the time. And again, as far as conceding goals goes, it's working. But we changed to a 4-3-3 against Leeds, we inserted Willock into the starting lineup, and we brought on Reiss Nelson at half time, all of which shows that even Mikel is admitting that this uber defensive strategy we've been employing isn't a long term answer. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As for Pepé, Arsenal were fucking stupid as shit to agree to pay £72M for the guy, but even with that price tag he's nowhere near the list of worst EPL transfers of even the last few years. Kepa, Alexis, Di Maria, Maguire, Joelinton, Iwobi, and plenty more have all been much, much worse than Pepé who contributed to 19 goals last year in his first season with Arsenal. He also pops up with some truly brilliant moments every now and then, so while he'll likely never be worth what we paid for him, let's calm down a little bit with the hyperbole about him being one of the worst signings ever. 

7 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Wait?  Is shadow operative Derka?  Because his posts in this thread are reaching Derka levels of stupid homerism. 

first off, you're the last one on this entire site to figure out who i am l, so congrats on being so sharp. second, if you're going to pop off at the mouth like that, then back it up with literally anything substantive, otherwise don't even waste peoples time with inane posts like that. 

and ftr, people like you and cheese are just the worst, you know that? all you do is pop off at the mouth and talk shit, you add nothing to any conversation, but then you want to talk down on what another poster is contributing to the thread. okie dokie, whatever makes you feel good about yourself. 👌🏼 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

first off, you're the last one on this entire site to figure out who i am l, so congrats on being so sharp. second, if you're going to pop off at the mouth like that, then back it up with literally anything substantive, otherwise don't even waste peoples time with inane posts like that. 

people like you and cheese are just the worst, you know that? all you do is pop off at the mouth and talk shit, you add nothing to any conversation, but then you want to talk down on what another poster is contributing to the thread. okie dokie, whatever makes you feel good about yourself. 👌🏼 

I just now figured out who you are because I really don't care about you.  You consistently make stupid posts on this site that I generally ignore, so there's no reason for me to have ever come to the realization.  It just so happens that now you're making stupid posts about something that interests me.

As for substance, here you go.  Headbutting deserves a straight red regardless of how the headbutted player reacts.  It's a good rule and it was a good call.  Headbutting has no place in the game and the severe punishment makes that very clear.  I don't give a shit whether the other player fakes falling over and rolls around even if the headbutt wasn't severe.  Don't want to get red carded and fuck your team over?  Don't headbutt.  It's that simple. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

That video is just two guys getting into each other's face. If you're comparing KD and Westbrook to what Pepe did, you're only seeing what you want to see.

Pepe threw a headbutt. Was it soft? Yes, but it was a headbutt

here - https://imgur.com/MnmAbMv

Or here - https://streamable.com/0imheu

ztejas is right the Giannis video is on level with what happened yesterday and he was tossed. Wagner didn't even fall like a little bitch either.

Outside of hockey, there is no team sport that you hit an opponent on purpose that you won't get tossed. NONE.

Quick edit - Shockingly that Wilshire incident didn't draw a red. A clear headbutt, but the height difference made it look like ... well suckling.

Also, find a clip of the "Arsenal player caught an intentional elbow to the head late in the game" - I didn't watch the game, so I would challenge you to show that happen. And maybe that's red card worthy, but again, I didn't see it.

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I just now figured out who you are because I really don't care about you.  You consistently make stupid posts on this site that I generally ignore, so there's no reason for me to have ever come to the realization.  It just so happens that now you're making stupid posts about something that interests me.

As for substance, here you go.  Headbutting deserves a straight red regardless of how the headbutted player reacts.  It's a good rule and it was a good call.  Headbutting has no place in the game and the severe punishment makes that very clear.  I don't give a shit whether the other player fakes falling over and rolls around even if the headbutt wasn't severe.  Don't want to get red carded and fuck your team over?  Don't headbutt.  It's that simple. 

did you use invisible ink, or did i miss the part where you pointed to me showing "derka levels of homerism"? where is it? after all that's what had your panties in such a bunch, so i kinda figured you'd mention it when you decided to reply.

see this is what's so stupid about your whiny ass posts about me- the beef you have with me is made up in your own mind and based on nothing but your own whiny pettiness. see i'm the last guy on this site who is a homer for any of his teams. in fact i'm known for pissing people off because i'm exactly the opposite of being a homer. whether it's because i'm not slurping Sam Ehlinger, or i'm saying that Jarrett Allen isn't very good, or that our hoops team won't be any good, or that Shaka wasn't a good coach, or that Notre Dame would stomp Texas in South Bend, etc, etc, i'm the guy who's known for *not* just blindly running with whatever works out best for my team, as evidenced by my posted disgust with the rule that took a goal away from Aston Villa when they beat Arsenal a couple of weeks ago. that's me. 

you wanna talk about stupid posts? cheeseweasel makes stupid posts. your post whining about me, where you can't even hide a little bit how strong your feelings are towards me, even though you yourself admit that you don't even generally run across me- that's a stupid post. make all of the made up excuses you want if it makes you feel better, but you're the one randomly popping in here to shit on the thread and start baseless, butthurt arguments like the child that you are. i know it's hard to accept, but them's the facts. nothing that i said in this thread warranted you throwing a tantrum or starting some petty internet bickering. whether you own that or not won't change that fact.

13 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Also, find a clip of the "Arsenal player caught an intentional elbow to the head late in the game" - I didn't watch the game, so I would challenge you to show that happen. And maybe that's red card worthy, but again, I didn't see it.

it happened in the 70th minute. i made a note of it. find a recording of the match and you'll see it.

as for the previous part of your post, the point remains that the punishment levied against Hiannis still pales in comparison to the punishment levied against Pepé/Arsenal. and that's the entire point of what i've been saying. a straight red card is the harshest penalty in sports- i'd prefer it if the standard for what earns that severe penalty be a bit higher than it is at times, such as in the case of Pepe's headbutt yesterday. 

I'm not going to look for the clip - you find it or don't bother mentioning it.

As far as the "harshest penalty in sports" stuff - THOSE ARE THE RULES and its out of the ref's hands.

Pepe and every EPL player has been playing under these rules for their whole lives. They know if they take a shot at another player they are taking a risk of getting this punishment and with VAR you are even less likely to get away with it.

And if you're comparing it against the NBA for what ... completely different sports, in a completely different league, with completely different rules.

In the end, Pepe got what he deserved and any player in the same situation would get the same.

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

a straight red card is the harshest penalty in sports- even though the rulebook is cut and dry, i'd prefer it if the reaction of the other player and severity of injury are also factored in before determining what earns that severe penalty

this feels like a succinct version of what you've been trying to say. sounds like arteta needs to work on the mental aptitude of the squad (when to not headbutt and when to embellish reactions so clearcut reds and yellows are called in your favor) as much as he needs to fix the midfield.

• Haha 1

i went and did a screen recording for. the Arsenal app. i'd upload it to youtube but i've done that before and they flag it and take it down right away. anyway, it wasn't an elbow, it was a stiff arm which, semantics aside, changes nothing. it was still as severe/more severe than what Pepé did, and it didn't even merit a foul. to me that's ridiculous. here are the screen captures:

9d1ce25f58e54377089bf37576457780.jpg

ba737c0e32ee03aa2aff19a219fe1351.jpg

d2b41cbf7601ac69fe9d017ef07d8a51.jpg

e2a8add4c4a4f4e4a4279818b1c92d5e.jpg

93019e5c4f3eabf71aa3f739caa15089.jpg

31b2b885e6b20ba34f90bbfe596b5114.jpg

3d003adf515a46c0e0babf68d1cf8e99.jpg

here's as clear as I can be: the stiff arm to Gabriel's face was easily stronger and more forceful than what Pepé did to the Leeds player. that's a fact. and yet it did not even merit a foul, simply because Gabriel had to continue to play on as his goal was still vulnerable.

so, in my opinion, that's a problem; there's a disconnect there. if you can stiff arm a man in his face at full speed in the run of play and nobody bats an eye, but a less forceful event away from the ball merits a straight red (and all that comes with it), then that's not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

LMAO. says the same guy who just said, "I didn't watch any of that game but you're lying and i don't believe you." that's rich. 

No, I just don't give that much of a shit to dig up some clip about some other thing you're talking about.

You ask me, this was one of the most obvious red cards given out this season.

BTW - streamable is your friend for posting video (wish we had a plugin).

Last thing - the stills you posted - in the run of play, at best that's a foul. But I can see if they let it go too. It's not a guy walking up to another player and hitting him in the face completely away from the action.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

did you use invisible ink, or did i miss the part where you pointed to me showing "derka levels of homerism"? where is it? after all that's what had your panties in such a bunch, so i kinda figured you'd mention it when you decided to reply.

see this is what's so stupid about your whiny ass posts about me- the beef you have with me is made up in your own mind and based on nothing but your own whiny pettiness. see i'm the last guy on this site who is a homer for any of his teams. in fact i'm known for pissing people off because i'm exactly the opposite of being a homer. whether it's because i'm not slurping Sam Ehlinger, or i'm saying that Jarrett Allen isn't very good, or that our hoops team won't be any good, or that Shaka wasn't a good coach, or that Notre Dame would stomp Texas in South Bend, etc, etc, i'm the guy who's known for *not* just blindly running with whatever works out best for my team, as evidenced by my posted disgust with the rule that took a goal away from Aston Villa when they beat Arsenal a couple of weeks ago. that's me. 

you wanna talk about stupid posts? cheeseweasel makes stupid posts. your post whining about me, where you can't even hide a little bit how strong your feelings are towards me, even though you yourself admit that you don't even generally run across me- that's a stupid post. make all of the made up excuses you want if it makes you feel better, but you're the one randomly popping in here to shit on the thread and start baseless, butthurt arguments like the child that you are. i know it's hard to accept, but them's the facts. nothing that i said in this thread warranted you throwing a tantrum or starting some petty internet bickering. whether you own that or not won't change that fact.

One of the primary characteristics of your stupid homerism is that you don't, and probably can't, understand that you're doing it.  I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you and trying to convince you.  Suffice it to say, there's a reason why you are so frequently in a place where you feel the need to spend so much time on here defending yourself and your posts.  Everyone else sees it and they call you out.  You just can't see it. 

Edited by Longhornfan1024

On 11/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, Captain Ron said:

A win is a win. Sometimes the other team can get the ball in the net too.

3 goals scored is probably more indicative. 

fair-ish.  but it also required an act of god and an airmailed pk.

james has not been as effective since liverpool.  someone figured something out/he's been hurt.  richarlison being back certainly gave the offense some much needed pep in their step though.