San Antonio Spurs 2020 Offseason Thread -- What is this Lottery Shit?

Patrick Bateman

Hope the kid develops into more than a 3-and-D guy. Can't say I love the pick but I'll wait the 1-2 years to see how he fits into the team long-term. 

My issue is the the last 3 out of 4 drafts we've had have netted guys that are "hustle, defense, and maybe a corner 3" type guys like Dejounte, Lonnie Walker and Keldon Johnson. Derrick White was a bit more polished than them offensively since he was drafted at like 23. DeMar will be gone after this year, and apparently Vassell is the new 3... where do we go to score points? We're stocking up on athletic guards/wings in a league that is full of them. The defense and fast-break opportunities sound fun, but the modern NBA isn't trotting out big PFs and slow Cs anymore, I don't think we're going to be running folks ragged, everybody can run in 2020. I'm still waiting for us to net an alpha offensive guy that we can build around, and we just keep stocking up on pieces. All the average teams will have athletic guys that can run.... the teams playing in May will have guys that can shoot and create as well. 

Edited by BurdineBandit

I wanted them to add some size up front but at this point in the rebuild, it looks like they are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Grab the best player and figure the rest out later. With that in mind, I really thought they were going to snag Halliburton when he fell to them. I do like Vassell though. Seems a bit redundant with Johnson but whatever. He definitely fits the Spurs mold and all the good bigs got snatched up before their pick. I keep seeing that he tried to revamp his shooting motion since the season ended and it's supposed to look horrible. Chip Engelland, please pick up the white courtesy phone. 

For the second round, Jones is good value. That dude is going to play in the league for like 10 years and if they can get his shot ironed out, he could be a legitimate contributor. I'm sure Jones is going to spend a lot of time in Austin, but that backcourt is crowded. That's got to be it for Forbes, right? Please? Right?

With regard to the roster and how it's constructed... it's clear that they don't have anything that resembles a franchise cornerstone, but do they have even a guy who could be the third best player on a championship team going forward? I'm not including Aldridge or Derozan, because I think both are gone one way or the other after this season but of the young guys... Maybe Derrick White? Can Keldon get there? Samanic? I've become kinda jaded with Murray and a maybe little bit with Walker as well. But they're still young and growing. So for the time being, let them keep adding pieces regardless of fit and see what they can make of it. That appears to be the strategy. Perhaps they get lucky with one of them like they did Kawhi? Maybe get enough assets to trade for a disgruntled start somewhere else? Maybe get lucky in the lottery because make no mistake, barring a rash of injuries to several contenders they aren't making the playoffs in the West which seems to get tougher each year.

Looking at the roster, I would hope they aren't finished making deals, but would it surprise anybody for them to just run it back? That's a backcourt and wing heavy rotation right now:

Wings: White (is he a point guard? IDK). Vassell. Walker. Johnson. DeRozan. Gay. Samanic
Bigs: Aldridge. Poeltl. Lyles. Eubanks

28 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wanted them to add some size up front but at this point in the rebuild, it looks like they are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Grab the best player and figure the rest out later. With that in mind, I really thought they were going to snag Halliburton when he fell to them. I do like Vassell though. Seems a bit redundant with Johnson but whatever. He definitely fits the Spurs mold and all the good bigs got snatched up before their pick. I keep seeing that he tried to revamp his shooting motion since the season ended and it's supposed to look horrible. Chip Engelland, please pick up the white courtesy phone. 

For the second round, Jones is good value. That dude is going to play in the league for like 10 years and if they can get his shot ironed out, he could be a legitimate contributor. I'm sure Jones is going to spend a lot of time in Austin, but that backcourt is crowded. That's got to be it for Forbes, right? Please? Right?

With regard to the roster and how it's constructed... it's clear that they don't have anything that resembles a franchise cornerstone, but do they have even a guy who could be the third best player on a championship team going forward? I'm not including Aldridge or Derozan, because I think both are gone one way or the other after this season but of the young guys... Maybe Derrick White? Can Keldon get there? Samanic? I've become kinda jaded with Murray and a maybe little bit with Walker as well. But they're still young and growing. So for the time being, let them keep adding pieces regardless of fit and see what they can make of it. That appears to be the strategy. Perhaps they get lucky with one of them like they did Kawhi? Maybe get enough assets to trade for a disgruntled start somewhere else? Maybe get lucky in the lottery because make no mistake, barring a rash of injuries to several contenders they aren't making the playoffs in the West which seems to get tougher each year.

Looking at the roster, I would hope they aren't finished making deals, but would it surprise anybody for them to just run it back? That's a backcourt and wing heavy rotation right now:

Wings: White (is he a point guard? IDK). Vassell. Walker. Johnson. DeRozan. Gay. Samanic

Spurs had the most success in the bubble when they went multi guard lineup

31 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

White is an undersized SG. I wouldn't call him a wing as he's too small to play even a small ball 3. Murray can function as more of a wing than him imo.

32 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

do they have even a guy who could be the third best player on a championship team going forward?

White absolutely has that ceiling. I would hesitantly say Dejounte has 2nd best player on a title team ceiling - depending on the 1 - but his injury might cost him that potential.

43 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Hope the kid develops into more than a 3-and-D guy. Can't say I love the pick but I'll wait the 1-2 years to see how he fits into the team long-term. 

My issue is the the last 3 out of 4 drafts we've had have netted guys that are "hustle, defense, and maybe a corner 3" type guys like Dejounte, Lonnie Walker and Keldon Johnson. Derrick White was a bit more polished than them offensively since he was drafted at like 23. DeMar will be gone after this year, and apparently Vassell is the new 3... where do we go to score points? We're stocking up on athletic guards/wings in a league that is full of them. The defense and fast-break opportunities sound fun, but the modern NBA isn't trotting out big PFs and slow Cs anymore, I don't think we're going to be running folks ragged, everybody can run in 2020. I'm still waiting for us to net an alpha offensive guy that we can build around, and we just keep stocking up on pieces. All the average teams will have athletic guys that can run.... the teams playing in May will have guys that can shoot and create as well. 

If you look at the players picked from those drafts, the only glaring miss is taking Samanic over Brandon Clarke last year.

2019: https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2019.html

2018: https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2018.html

2017: https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2017.html

This doesn't account for UDFA's , I can't think of any better than who we've picked without looking. Not a Metu fan, but he was the 49th pick in the 2018 draft and no one notable was picked below him. I would've rather seen us pick Paul Reed in the 2nd round yesterday but I do think Tre Jones will be a solid backup PG in a few years.

If the scouting reports are correct, it looks like Vassell has a little bit more driving ability than Danny Green did and he seems to be more of a threat in transition. I'd rather have him than Marco or Bryn Forbes.

I view our picks from the last 2 or 3 years as role players to our lottery picks over the next few years. Unfortunately, it's inevitable. Just not enough rebounding or inside defense on the roster as it is.

The Spurs aren't really in a situation where they should or can draft a specific position. It has to be BPA. It's pretty clear that none of our current guys has superstar potential. Have to find one. I'm assuming the Spurs picked the player who they think has the most potential to develop into a franchise player. You have to just keep spinning that wheel until you find one or two guys, then you figure out the rest of the roster. If that means we have 8 guards on the squad, so be it. It'll be more fun to watch than plodding Aldridge ball at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

And a glut in a position means they can attach one of those guys to Demar or LA to get something good in return. We drafted 11th in a deep draft without any noticeable stars. There are still tools at their disposal to improve and they have a lot of cap space to sign a free agent. I wanted to see the bubble lineup with LA at the five anyway. If they’re going to suck, let’s at least be a fun team that sucks.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

The Spurs aren't really in a situation where they should or can draft a specific position. It has to be BPA. It's pretty clear that none of our current guys has superstar potential. Have to find one. I'm assuming the Spurs picked the player who they think has the most potential to develop into a franchise player. You have to just keep spinning that wheel until you find one or two guys, then you figure out the rest of the roster. If that means we have 8 guards on the squad, so be it. It'll be more fun to watch than plodding Aldridge ball at least.

Yeah this Draft probably didn't have that stud offensive player that creates his own shot except for maybe the guy who was drafted #1.  Spurs in a rebuild have to pick best player available, keep developing young players and then add to roster through trades and free agency over next few years...

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Thought Halliburton should have been the pick once he fell.  He has All-Star level upside, not sure Vassell does as he'll need to really do work to become a creator or 3 tier scorer.  Spurs love their hard working, character guys and that's awesome but eventually you need a star.  A true #1 and not sure where we're going to find it so would rather draft the upside.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

White is an undersized SG. I wouldn't call him a wing as he's too small to play even a small ball 3. Murray can function as more of a wing than him imo.

White absolutely has that ceiling. I would hesitantly say Dejounte has 2nd best player on a title team ceiling - depending on the 1 - but his injury might cost him that potential.

I don't think either of those guys may reach that ceiling.  I think they're both good role players on a championship squad and we have a lot of guys who do the same thing now in the guard and undersized wing area.  White has a chance if he maximizes everything but he was older coming out and needs to take the next step quickly.  Dejonte would really need to take a step forward shooting.

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thought Halliburton should have been the pick once he fell.  He has All-Star level upside, not sure Vassell does as he'll need to really do work to become a creator or 3 tier scorer.  Spurs love their hard working, character guys and that's awesome but eventually you need a star.  A true #1 and not sure where we're going to find it so would rather draft the upside.

But is Halliburton really gonna be a stud in the NBA... watching his film I have a strong doubt that he will not be an NBA All-star...

Halliburton may have dropped in the draft for good reasons...

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

But is Halliburton really gonna be a stud in the NBA... watching his film I have a strong doubt that he will not be an NBA All-star...

Halliburton may have dropped in the draft for good reasons...

No one knows but he has the higher ceiling because he can create offense for himself and others.  That's a huge skill and the single biggest offensive skill set in the NBA.  Now, he may or may not reach his ceiling.  Vassel may or may not reach his or perhaps he really works hard at his game and adds a dribble drive set to his game.  We have no idea, but at this stage, the guy who already has the skillset has a higher ceiling.  Vassel plays really nice defense and has a decent shot but he's not really a 3 level scorer so he's limited.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

BOOM!

The Lakers can suck on that one, too. We got the poodle back, Drewbanks is locked up, and now Cam Reynolds who I've never heard of before and I'm too lazy to google lives in a silver and black and fuchsia and pink and teal house. It's on motherfuckers!

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

It had better be the fiesta logo then.

When we beat them in the playoffs, (Keyword WHEN) when we beat them in the playoffs I will happily accept ideas.

Edited by ztejas
Just going to speak it into existence

Ok I'll be a true Spurs fan and wish Bryn well and thank him for his service and time on the team and in the Spurs' culture. Always was a likeable guy. 

But fuck yes we can finally play some defense again. Hope one of the young guys finds their confidence from beyond the 3-pt line, bc apparently only Patty (and maybe DW) are going to be stretching out defenses for us? Excited to see Lonnie or Keldon run at the 2 for real minutes. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Have you seen Patty shoot the ball the past 3 years? 

39% from 3 is fine..... Patty is what he is, a small guard being asked to play too much on a mediocre to poor team.  Patty is best in small servings and under 20 minutes a game.  Last two years he's at 22/23 minutes.  Someone needs to step up.  LMA shot well from there last year, we'll see if it's sustainable, but Derrick and/or Lonnie need to shoot well from there to get spacing right.  DD's inability to shoot from distance continues to make life more difficult in the modern NBA...... Gay shot like shit from 3 last year too.

18 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Lakers can suck on that one, too. We got the poodle back, Drewbanks is locked up, and now Cam Reynolds who I've never heard of before and I'm too lazy to google lives in a silver and black and fuchsia and pink and teal house. It's on motherfuckers!

Glad yah mentioned Drew... Missed that

SIAP

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/11/20/21587974/the-spurs-are-signing-drew-eubanks-to-a-three-year-5-3-million-contract

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

The Spurs backcourt is continuing to take shape. After it was just reported that Bryn Forbes has signed with the Milwaukee Bucks, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that Quinndary Weatherspoon will return to the Spurs on a two-way contract.

The Spurs had extended a qualifying offer to Weatherspoon back on Nov. 18. Drafted 49th overall by the Spurs in the 2019 NBA Draft, he spent most of his time in Austin while appearing in 11 games for San Antonio last season. He saw some action in the Bubble, before suffering a strained knee.

This will be the final season he will be eligible to be a two-way player. The Spurs still have another two-way contract to hand out, and it will be interesting to see if they use it on this year’s second round pick Tre Jones or someone else. As a reminder, two-way players do not count against the team’s 15 guaranteed contracts, and they can spend up to 75 days with the NBA team during the regular season but are not eligible to participate in the postseason.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/11/22/21590061/spurs-sign-quinndary-weatherspoon-to-a-two-way-contract

Edited by LTtxfan

This is probably an optimistic way of looking at things.  The flip side is much more criticial.

By most measures, the Spurs have done well, so why is part of the fanbase seemingly unhappy with the work the front office has done so far? Because none of those moves, by themselves or combined, will truly change a team that was mediocre and uninspiring....

Whether it was even possible to actually pull off big moves this offseason is unclear, so the front office shouldn’t be blamed for failing to pull off far-fetched trades that fans concoct in the trade machine. At the same time, though, it’s understandable to be somewhat frustrated by the lack of moves after weeks of rumors and, more importantly, to be concerned about the Spurs potential lack of ability to make things happen. You need at least two teams to agree to a transaction, but if no one wants any of the assets San Antonio has accumulated, then that maybe suggests the Spurs have accumulated the wrong assets.....

The big shake up didn’t happen now, but that doesn’t mean it’s not coming in the near future.

That’s the hope at least, because the alternative is that the Spurs either are actually happy where they are or don’t know how to rebuild after decades of contention. Right now, the franchise is stuck in the middle: not good enough to make noise in the postseason and not bad enough to have its pick of the top talent at the draft. At some point they will hopefully make a decision that will lead them to either bottom out or land the star they desperately need to get away from mediocrity...

The fact that we’ve been waiting for it to happen for two years only to be disappointed, however, shows that it might not be as likely as we’d all hope it’d be. If for a third season in a row, the Spurs with the current core fail to inspire much optimism for the future, it will not only be time to make changes, but also to wonder if the previous years were just a waste of time.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is probably an optimistic way of looking at things.  The flip side is much more criticial.

It really is time for the Spurs to figure this roster shit out...

Staying in the middle for 2 or 3 more years is a bullshit strategy.

So I guess that means Tre Jones gets a real contract and they still, barring a trade (God forbid they actually do anything this off season), have one roster spot and the mid level exception to fill it with. I bet they don't even use it. I'm not sure what's left on the garbage heap of free agency but I think they would rather keep the cash. They aren't going anywhere, anyway. 

Also, it's going to be hysterical to watch Forbes knock down about 1000 wide open looks playing off Giannis and Jrue Holiday and then somebody grossly overpay the hell out of him when he opts out of the second year of his deal next year. 

All in all, this was your typical underwhelming spurs front office action. Maybe they move DeRozan or Aldridge (or even Gay or Mills) after the season gets going. I have pretty much lost all faith in them shaking things up. 

If they get off to a decent start with a nice mix of young guys and vets contributing, you can just see them talking themselves into trying to run this out and thinking they have a chance. We all know how this ends though. I'm really banking on the rest of the conference and its depth being good enough to keep them out of the playoffs but it's not difficult to imagine an injury here or there vaulting them into the 7th or 8th seed. Shit, Golden State is a Steph Curry sprained ankle from reprising the Sam Hincke process Sixers.

This post is getting long winded but looking at the west:
1. LAL - overwhelming favorites to repeat. They really had a great offseason. I do think they will miss Rondo more than people think though.

2. LAC - got worse, still more talented than every other team in the west that doesn't reside in LA. Ibaka should cover the loss of Harrell, but their depth took a blow.

3. Denver - took a step back, especially defensively. Jerami Grant taking equal money to go to Detroit is kick in the nuts. Need Porter to step up to level up but they are still young and improving. 

4. Dallas - can Porzingis stay healthy? If so, this might be too low. If not, this may be too high. I'm not sure they got much better this off season working the edges of their roster. But Luka.

5. Utah - fairly quiet offseason but getting Favors back makes them better. Still a talented roster with Mitchell getting better each season. 

6. Houston - who the fuck knows what's going to happen but they still have, for the time being, two MVPs on their roster. Not difficult to envision them bottoming out. 

7. Portland - Covington seems like a great fit for them and they had a solid offseason but what is their ceiling with Lillard and CJ? 

8. GSW - no idea how to rank them with Thompson hurt but if they can get anything out of Wiseman and Wiggins they could still be tough. 

9. Phoenix - CP3 and Crowder give them toughness and leadership they need. They are going to be pretty good until Chris Paul strains his labia and can't go in the playoffs.

10. Memphis - I can see them taking the next step. Love their young core. 

11. New Orleans - They lose Jrue Holliday and add Steven Adams and Eric Bledsoe. I could see them making a run at the playoffs and I could also see them tanking for one more pick in a good draft. Long term, they are better off tanking for one more year.

12. Minnesota - young and talented but brain dead. 

13.  SAC - see above re: Minnesota with slightly less talent and now featuring max player D'Aaron Fox.

14. OKC - I have no clue what their roster looks like today. I'm just assuming it's SGA, Al Horford and a bunch of g-leaguers but I really have no idea. I can't keep up. 

Where do the Spurs fit in here? Above OKC? That's about it. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:
So I guess that means Tre Jones gets a real contract and they still, barring a trade (God forbid they actually do anything this off season), have one roster spot and the mid level exception to fill it with. I bet they don't even use it. I'm not sure what's left on the garbage heap of free agency but I think they would rather keep the cash. They aren't going anywhere, anyway. 

Also, it's going to be hysterical to watch Forbes knock down about 1000 wide open looks playing off Giannis and Jrue Holiday and then somebody grossly overpay the hell out of him when he opts out of the second year of his deal next year. 

All in all, this was your typical underwhelming spurs front office action. Maybe they move DeRozan or Aldridge (or even Gay or Mills) after the season gets going. I have pretty much lost all faith in them shaking things up. 

If they get off to a decent start with a nice mix of young guys and vets contributing, you can just see them talking themselves into trying to run this out and thinking they have a chance. We all know how this ends though. I'm really banking on the rest of the conference and its depth being good enough to keep them out of the playoffs but it's not difficult to imagine an injury here or there vaulting them into the 7th or 8th seed. Shit, Golden State is a Steph Curry sprained ankle from reprising the Sam Hincke process Sixers.

This post is getting long winded but looking at the west:
1. LAL - overwhelming favorites to repeat. They really had a great offseason. I do think they will miss Rondo more than people think though.

2. LAC - got worse, still more talented than every other team in the west that doesn't reside in LA. Ibaka should cover the loss of Harrell, but their depth took a blow.

3. Denver - took a step back, especially defensively. Jerami Grant taking equal money to go to Detroit is kick in the nuts. Need Porter to step up to level up but they are still young and improving. 

4. Dallas - can Porzingis stay healthy? If so, this might be too low. If not, this may be too high. I'm not sure they got much better this off season working the edges of their roster. But Luka.

5. Utah - fairly quiet offseason but getting Favors back makes them better. Still a talented roster with Mitchell getting better each season. 

6. Houston - who the fuck knows what's going to happen but they still have, for the time being, two MVPs on their roster. Not difficult to envision them bottoming out. 

7. Portland - Covington seems like a great fit for them and they had a solid offseason but what is their ceiling with Lillard and CJ? 

8. GSW - no idea how to rank them with Thompson hurt but if they can get anything out of Wiseman and Wiggins they could still be tough. 

9. Phoenix - CP3 and Crowder give them toughness and leadership they need. They are going to be pretty good until Chris Paul strains his labia and can't go in the playoffs.

10. Memphis - I can see them taking the next step. Love their young core. 

11. New Orleans - They lose Jrue Holliday and add Steven Adams and Eric Bledsoe. I could see them making a run at the playoffs and I could also see them tanking for one more pick in a good draft. Long term, they are better off tanking for one more year.

12. Minnesota - young and talented but brain dead. 

13.  SAC - see above re: Minnesota with slightly less talent and now featuring max player D'Aaron Fox.

14. OKC - I have no clue what their roster looks like today. I'm just assuming it's SGA, Al Horford and a bunch of g-leaguers but I really have no idea. I can't keep up. 

Where do the Spurs fit in here? Above OKC? That's about it. 

Ha.  Where'd you C&P that from?  But really, ever since the day we decided we had to trade Kawhi, I've been advocating, even begging, to start blowing this up to reload and then rebuild and we haven't.  I warned we are about to start wandering the desert unless we took decisive action.  Some front offices are better at sustaining excellence after falling into a transcendental and generational talent and building the top of the pyramid to win championships and some are better served rebuilding foundations and making bad teams good.  I'm wondering if RC and Pop are the former.  I understand Brian Wright is the official GM, but it's hard to believe that RC and Pop still aren't the driving force behind decisions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kens5.com/amp/article/sports/nba/spurs/time-to-make-a-change-gregg-popovich-speaks-on-internal-development-and-the-new-direction-for-the-san-antonio-spurs/273-18da0afd-fe85-4864-9e75-be87fd0c81b9

Pop did his season opening interview. They’re going to continue the bubble offense. LA is going to shoot even more threes. D. White, Keldon, and Q are out with injuries (Keldon is in a boot but it isn’t serious). 

• Hook 'Em 1