Racial hysteria triumphs on campus - part 2

DocZaius

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

March, protest, whatever but that's is the weakest, most pathetic "power fist" move I've ever seen.....looks like some waif cross between John Travolta and Michael Jackson. 

Funny is funny.  And that's funny.  He really does look silly, and now I can't unsee the comparison.

7 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Comparing this silly and inconsequential class to integration is remarkable. 

Seriously.

30 years ago, I walked into a "women in literature" class (I needed a fine arts credit, literature counted towards that, and hey, I dig women -- this class will be cool).  The teacher opened the first class explaining how this class would focus on the intersection of the marxist dialectic and feminism as a liberation from patriarchy....hell, I don't know what she said.  After about 90 seconds of listening to her, and looking at a room full of women with short haircuts and hairy armpits, I got up, left, and filled out my "add-drop" form to pick another literature class.

Shit like that has ALWAYS been around.  The Shanty on the West Mall, electing an angry black lesbian as student body president, etc. etc.  These happened 30 years ago.  Whatever.  There were also plenty of guys wearing boots and drinking whiskey at football games.

Sometimes, it made for some interesting arguments in class.  Other times, it created an opportunity for some friendly time with a cute hippie chick.  It's a world full of different folks, some of whom think differently than I do.  Some of them are idiots and teach shitty feminist literature classes.  Some of them are idiots who headed up the YCT and went on pointless rants against the gay guy who sat next to me in a Government class.  Deal with it.  I did.

But -- caveat -- I wasn't a gutless pussy snowflake terrified of losing my station in society.  So, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

^

30 years ago, I was in middle school but yeah you needed to go out of your way to have a run in with the gender studies crowd on campus. It's not like they tracked you down to bitch about the patriarchy. Although there was this one cute granola girl that used to touch my arm gently and say, "f250 that isn't very PC" whenever I was talking shit. Looking back on it, I am pretty sure our back and forth was a form of foreplay. Our disagreements were just away to interact with each other when we first met.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Funny is funny.  And that's funny.  He really does look silly, and now I can't unsee the comparison.

Seriously.

30 years ago, I walked into a "women in literature" class (I needed a fine arts credit, literature counted towards that, and hey, I dig women -- this class will be cool).  The teacher opened the first class explaining how this class would focus on the intersection of the marxist dialectic and feminism as a liberation from patriarchy....hell, I don't know what she said.  After about 90 seconds of listening to her, and looking at a room full of women with short haircuts and hairy armpits, I got up, left, and filled out my "add-drop" form to pick another literature class.

Shit like that has ALWAYS been around.  The Shanty on the West Mall, electing an angry black lesbian as student body president, etc. etc.  These happened 30 years ago.  Whatever.  There were also plenty of guys wearing boots and drinking whiskey at football games.

Sometimes, it made for some interesting arguments in class.  Other times, it created an opportunity for some friendly time with a cute hippie chick.  It's a world full of different folks, some of whom think differently than I do.  Some of them are idiots and teach shitty feminist literature classes.  Some of them are idiots who headed up the YCT and went on pointless rants against the gay guy who sat next to me in a Government class.  Deal with it.  I did.

But -- caveat -- I wasn't a gutless pussy snowflake terrified of losing my station in society.  So, your mileage may vary.

Did schools cancel classes and offer safe spaces, crayons, puppy therapy, cry closets and play do when Republicans were elected 30 years ago?

I certainly don't remember any shit like that.  And I don't believe it is the same old same old.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did schools cancel classes and offer safe spaces, crayons, puppy therapy, cry closets and play do when Republicans were elected 30 years ago?

I certainly don't remember any shit like that.  And I don't believe it is the same old same old.

You'll get over it.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The University of Texas didn't.  And it hasn't done so today.

There's always been hairy-armpitted dens of irrational libs - some universities are known for it.

And there's always been rigid "bible colleges" and service academies that echo, in varying degrees, traditional "right wing" ideologies.

The idea that the REAL tortured, repressed group is white males is fucking laughable and pathetic.  Yeah, sometimes college campuses have yahoos that want to elevate all handicapped Filipinos to the position of "exalted world leader" or some similar idiocy.  And sometimes college campuses have "conservatives" wearing diapers and play-acting about safe-spaces.  Whatever.

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You're bitching about puppy therapy? You've got waaaaaaaaay more issues than college students.

Yeah, maybe they didn't quite think this through.  Tl;dr:  re-evaluating, temp. suspending/retooling the program/coordinator in line with University policy after it's been getting absolutely skewered in local media, and no doubt causing lotsa donors to "WTF?"

UT rethinks its masculinity program, as talk radio rails on it

Updated 2 hours ago
By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz, American-Statesman Staff

A University of Texas program on masculinity that has veered from its core purpose of addressing sexual assault and interpersonal violence into broader discussions of such matters as gender “fluidity” is being retooled, officials said Wednesday.

The decision comes after some conservative websites and talk radio hosts claimed falsely in recent days that UT regards masculinity as a mental health issue. The program, dubbed “MasculinUT,” is an awareness campaign housed administratively — like other programs related to sexual and interpersonal violence — in the university’s Counseling and Mental Health Center, but it does not treat masculinity as a mental health problem, said Soncia Reagins-Lilly,  vice president for student affairs and dean of students.

A campus steering committee that helped develop the program in 2015-16 will be reconvened to help ensure that the program’s mission is clearly aligned with efforts to reduce sexual violence, Reagins-Lilly said in a letter to UT President Gregory L. Fenves.

She has temporarily suspended the search for a “healthy masculinities coordinator.” The position, funded by the UT System Board of Regents along with broader efforts to reduce misconduct, will be based at the Austin campus, but the person selected for the job will work with the system’s seven other academic campuses as well.

Reagins-Lilly said her office is updating some of the program’s web content and messaging, with additional changes possible after the committee submits recommendations by Aug. 1.

The website’s wide-ranging topics include a discussion of gender and sexual fluidity. “We limit ourselves when we restrict our understanding of gender identity and ‘performance’ to the gender binary (only 2 options),” it says.

Although the website stops short of calling masculinity a mental issue, it describes so-called restrictive notions of masculinity as unhealthy.

Many young men on campus face pressure to “act like a man,” as if there is only one way, it says. “For example, restrictive notions of masculinity imagine a single, rigid identity that emphasizes aggression, competition with men, devaluation of women, and few tools to develop communication skills or emotional maturity.”

The website goes on to say that “traditional characteristics of masculinity — traits such as independence, strength, resilience and more — are wonderful assets for people of all genders. By encouraging an expanded view of masculinity, there is room for these traits and more.”

https://www.statesman.com/news/masculinity-program-being-retooled-talk-radio-rails/NQNqQ9mykaghjCmOPGZxhM/

Yeah.  I mean, up to a point, but shit's getting kinda out of hand ridiculous.  Saner heads prevailing and all.  Tap the breaks on that shit.

Edited by phdhorn