Texas DB & LB Talk

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"AntHill"

For people in the twilight of their chronological years, the word "Anthill" brings back memories of "The Anthill Mob." {For that matter, since Coach "Prime" is trying to get trademarks on 1,000,000,000 sayings, perhaps I should reserve that one.  I could definitely see the LB crew becoming known as ... "The Anthill Mob."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_NR_ZXoGF0

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

For people in the twilight of their chronological years, the word "Anthill" brings back memories of "The Anthill Mob." {For that matter, since Coach "Prime" is trying to get trademarks on 1,000,000,000 sayings, perhaps I should reserve that one.  I could definitely see the LB crew becoming known as ... "The Anthill Mob."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_NR_ZXoGF0

😋 Loved "Wacky Races" when I was a kid

giphy.gif

Here's your "AntHill Mob" video embedded...

• Hook 'Em 2

AUSTIN, Texas – With rising underclassmen Terrance Brooks and Malik Muhammad along with last season’s starter at boundary corner in Ryan Watts all in-tow, Wake Forest transfer Gavin Holmes’ play get lost in the shuffle amongst the Texas secondary filled with standout talents.

However, the 5-foot-11-inch, 175-pound Holmes has proven to be a valuable addition to the Longhorns after being one of the top cover corners in the ACC with the Demon Deacons over the last two years.

He arrived in college as a 247Sports Composite three-star recruit but following his entry to the transfer portal, was rated among the top defensive backs available in the transfer portal and earned a four-star rating.

Per Pro Football Focus, Holmes was rated among the top-10 cornerbacks in coverage, while being one of the least penalized players as Holmes was only flagged for three pass interference calls over his two full seasons as a starter.

Over his time in Winston-Salem, Holmes tallied 45 tackles with two interceptions and a 13 pass breakups including a team-leading nine last season.

Sarkisian spoke about Holmes’ play over the first quarter of the season.

"Gavin gets overshadowed a bit by some of the other guys who get talked about a bit more," said Sarkisian. "But he's an extremely steady and consistent player with great cover skills."

Despite splitting snaps at fieldside corner, Holmes’ play has risen in his first year on the Forty Acres, grading as a winner in each game this season and is coming off his best performance – a six-tackle outing versus Baylor where he was targeted three times – only allowing two receptions for 13 yards.

"He's very natural when he can play off-coverage which is something he did well at Wake Forest and he does well in man principles as well," said Sarkisian. "He also has elite speed which is always a plus, he does provide something different for us in that way, especially when we play him to the [field-side spot] and we're kind of isolated at times, he's very comfortable on an island and that's a huge luxury for us, especially as the season wears on."

The junior’s play also provides long-term value for Sarkisian with the pending departures of Jahdae Barron and Watts from this year’s group, allowing for Muhammad and Brooks to come along slowly in a pivotal season.

"[Muhammad] has really worked at his craft, I always think it's a bit difficult for guys who were five-star recruits, because the expectation may be that you're going to walk in the door and be a front-line starter on day one," said Sarkisian. "Guys quickly realize that we have really good players at these positions who are going to play good football too, so his game is gradually and naturally evolving."

Watts spoke about the camaraderie and competition amongst the Longhorns’ cornerbacks and what Holmes has brought to the room.

“We’re all competitors and I think we have a really confident group, everyone in our room is confident,” said Watts. Gavin has definitely brought another competitor to the room and we’re all trying to push each other every day.

As the Horns enter the heart of their Big 12 schedule, having a fourth-year veteran with Holmes' capability in the secondary is a valuable tool as Texas' defense will look to continue stifling teams' passing attacks.

Edited by LTtxfan

Is Jelani McDonald a future contributor at safety? Just off the eye test he has good size and looks athletic. He's played in every game on special teams (and blew his lane assignment in their reverse that came back), but I havent seen him in defense. I wonder if they see him as a special teams guy like Wisner so they went ahead and burned his shirt

• 2 weeks later...

Guessing Texas corners will at times play more press coverage in this game since the cyclones QB likes to get the ball out quickly.  Sure hope Jahdae is close to 100% for this game.  

Cyclone slot receiver (Jaylin Noel)  has hurt Texas in the past and their transfer WR (Jayden Higgins) can really ball out.  Need a turnover or two created by the Texas defense in Ames Saturday.

Not sure what Catalon's status is for this Saturday but I did find this:  "Catalon last played for the Longhorns in live-game action in the Red River Rivalry game on Oct. 7 in Dallas against the Oklahoma Sooners. He’s now missed Texas’ last four games after he suffered a leg injury against Oklahoma in Week 6."

On 11/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, LTtxfan said:

Screenshot_20231123-092618_kindlephoto-5891512.thumb.png.b50fb96102fa0d8aa1c7f57855c05156.png

Interesting...

Bobby Burton heard recently that there is "a little bit of  an internal fight about who gets him in the offseason" whether that's Terry Joseph for CB/NB, Gideon at safety, or Choate at LB.

Who do we have at LB next year?

Hill takes over for Ford most likely, with Blackwell next to him and Lion/Burrell backing them up. McDonald may have the most upside at that spot. Does Gbenda have another year? Is 4 linebackers enough?

18 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Who do we have at LB next year?

Hill takes over for Ford most likely, with Blackwell next to him and Lion/Burrell backing them up. McDonald may have the most upside at that spot. Does Gbenda have another year? Is 4 linebackers enough?

Don't forget Choate's Polynesian Ties.

Akana and Lefau