Texas DB & LB Talk

LTtxfan

On 2/25/2023 at 2:18 AM, Bevo said:

Really just need edges to show to be elite on defense. I wish I knew what to expect after Sorrell out of all the bodies. Justice Finkley, Ethan Burke, J'Mond Tapp, Colton Vasek, Billy Walton, Tausili Akana - will any of those guys be better than Ovie? Do Bledsoe or Swanson have the athletic ability to move outside?

If you are hoping for elite. You want Bledsoe and Tapp to be the starters for the season. They have the most athletic ability and potential to be elite. No idea if they are ready. Last year I rooted for Kitan Crawford to be the starter over spring and fall camp. By about the 5th game I had to admit he is great athlete, but particularly good at playing Safety. Hopefully, that is not the case with Tapp and Bledsoe

31 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If you are hoping for elite. You want Bledsoe and Tapp to be the starters for the season. They have the most athletic ability and potential to be elite. No idea if they are ready. Last year I rooted for Kitan Crawford to be the starter over spring and fall camp. By about the 5th game I had to admit he is great athlete, but particularly good at playing Safety. Hopefully, that is not the case with Tapp and Bledsoe

I have a patient who works in the AD and he always talks up Sorrell. So, I still have high hopes for him. But, yeah, opposite him Tapp or Bledsoe would be nice. I still don't know if anyone can get consistent pressure on the QB, though. It would be nice to get pressure from our front 4.

I want to see our DB corps absolutely mauling receivers and RBs from the first snap until the officials make them stop, if they ever do.

I want to see the opposition's first ball carrier who lowers his head and tries to run over a defender get a flag and a disqualification for Targeting.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I have a patient who works in the AD and he always talks up Sorrell. So, I still have high hopes for him. But, yeah, opposite him Tapp or Bledsoe would be nice. I still don't know if anyone can get consistent pressure on the QB, though. It would be nice to get pressure from our front 4.

I like Sorrell. I think he is solid. I just dont think he is particularly twitchy. Just based on small sample size, I think Bledsoe is the superior athlete there. That is a position I am not too worried about. I think Sorrell sets a solid floor there and it is above average conference level. If Bledsoe beats him out, that is a really good thing.  The other side is a different issue. I think Finkley can be solid vs the run, but again not particularly twitchy. Not to high on his pass rush ability, but a solid player with a high dive. Tapp is the athlete at that spot, but he came in raw. No idea where he is with his pass rush technique. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ready For Austin: 2023 ATH Jelani McDonald

Justin Wells•05/13/23

Jelani-McDonald-AAB.png

Jelani McDonald at All-American Bowl. 

After an illustrious athletic career at Connally High School in Waco, Texas, 2023 signee Jelani McDonald is ready for his next chapter. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound On3 four-star just competed in the Texas UIL State track meet in Austin, and will be back on the Forty Acres to enroll soon.

“Just getting into it and going,” McDonald said Thursday about what he’s most excited about. “Adapting to how they roll. Just ready to play some ball!”

The accolades

“It feels good knowing that I accomplished so much in the last three years that I’ve been here,” said McDonald about his high school career. “Now I’m looking forward to what’s at the next level.”

Those accomplishments are noteworthy for one of the nation’s top athletes in the 2023 class. He won the Texas 4A triple jump in 2022 with a 48-2 as a junior. He also long jumped 22-2.75 at regionals. He earned a pair of silver medals in 2021 thanks to 6-4 high jump and 45-4.75 triple jump.

On the basketball court, McDonald also showed his immense athleticism and excelled to a level where he took home several local honors.

Football is his focus. He was named Texas District 11-4A-II Offensive MVP as a senior for the Cadets. He was dominant on both sides of the ball at quarterback and safety. He tallied 1,559 total yards and 22 touchdowns in 2022, in addition to 25 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four sacks, one interception and one pass breakup on the defensive side.

The position

On3 has McDonald at athlete but he could end up playing a number of roles in Austin, especially after playing cornerback and safety during the All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

But where do the coaches plan to start McDonald?

“More than likely it’ll be the Star position,” McDonald told Inside Texas. “I’ll be able to move around the field and be in different places. It’s where I’m going to be most comfortable at.

“Moving around the field? Can’t be mad about that!”  While McDonald is starting out at Star, he could eventually find himself at linebacker.  McDonald will study sports communication.

The ranking

McDonald is the No. 74 overall prospect and No. 2 athlete in the 2023 cycle, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He is also the No. 15 player in Texas.

On3 rates McDonald higher than other recruiting services, according to the Industry Comparison. Per the 2023 On300, he is the No. 41 overall prospect, No. 2 athlete, and No. 7 player in Texas.

McDonald has an On3 NIL Valuation of $53K. The On3 NIL Valuation is an index that looks to set the standard market value for both high school and college-level athletes. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Screenshot_20230716-152328_kindlephoto-16149248.png.7f252009b4f62234bfb9a2df49abba93.png

Texas received first-team All-Big 12 caliber linebacker play during the 2022 season. One of the players responsible for that quality is now in the NFL, while another is vying to recreate his standout campaign.

Thanks to excellent recruiting from Steve Sarkisian, Pete Kwiatkowski, and Jeff Choate, the Longhorn linebacker room is stocked with quality players who fit into the variety of roles needed within the structure of the defense. One position is for sure taken, but the other main spot is the subject of a major competition this preseason.

What questions do the players in that position group need to answer?

What’s the next step for Jaylan Ford?

A season that included 119 tackles, 10.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, four interceptions, two passes defended, two fumble recoveries, and three forced fumbles placed Ford into the national college football consciousness. He was snubbed Big 12 defensive player of the year honors after the 2022 season, but was a first-team All-Big 12 selection, an AP third-team All-American, and enters this year as the preseason Big 12 defensive player of the year.

Ford excelled last season alongside DeMarvion Overshown, but Texas doesn’t have Overshown on the roster this year. Losing an NFL caliber player at the second level will make Ford’s life different in 2023.

Is he able to raise his level of play even further? One hundred nineteen tackles is a tough performance to recreate, but in order to do it he’ll have to raise his own level of play without the dynamic Overshown alongside him.

The loss of Overshown also places a responsibility on Ford to ensure his linebacking partner is playing high-quality football. No matter who it is, Ford will have to elevate that player’s game along with his own.

A similar stat line will be tough to recreate, especially the four crucial interceptions as part of Ford’s five takeaways.

If Ford can elevate his own play and the play of those around him, the Texas defense will benefit greatly. The onus of leadership falls upon him at his position and likely for the entire defense. How he’ll handle that role, assist other linebackers, and still deliver difference-making ability will have a drastic effect on Pete Kwiatkowski‘s side of the ball.

Who succeeds DeMarvion Overshown at Will?

This question is as straightforward as it seems. DeMarvion Overshown is a Dallas Cowboy. Who replaces him for the Longhorns?

The likeliest options are David Gbenda and Morice Blackwell. Gbenda, a fifth-year player, has 32 games of experience with three starts. He brings experience and athleticism that makes him a great fit for the Will position, but recognition and play-strength have not been at a level high enough to keep him on the field consistently in recent years.

Blackwell, a third-year defender, is moving closer to the line of scrimmage from the secondary. He’s unafraid to hit and has a knack for the ball, but his 208-pound frame could pose issues in stopping the run.

Other linebackers on the roster who could occupy Will include senior Jett Bush plus freshmen Liona Lefau and Derion Gullette.

This is one of the major defensive battles to watch during camp. The players listed above are striving to replace Agent Zero, but there is one more option available who possesses athleticism other linebackers can’t match.

What role will Anthony Hill take on?

Hill choosing the Longhorns was the biggest recruiting win for the Texas defense in the 2023 cycle. Not only was the Denton (Texas) Ryan product a player of need at a key position, but it also knocked Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M further down during the Aggies’ 5-7 season.

Hill’s high school film shows a player with incredible ability playing downhill, but does not reveal much about his skill playing in coverage. That’s a necessity in any conference, especially the Big 12.

Is Will going to be where he factors into creating havoc plays? He’s contending with Gbenda and Blackwell, but those two have several years of experience under them.

What about a specialty role? Texas uses a Sam linebacker at times and Hill is tailor-made for that spot. In addition, his pass-rush ability is unique compared to anybody else’s on the roster, and that may see him deployed in a variety of ways early in his career.

Hill is going to play in 2023, of that there’s little doubt. How much of it is at Will and how much of it is in tailored positions is one thing Hill’s own preseason performance will determine.

• Hook 'Em 2

Screenshot_20230724-213234_kindlephoto-21046811.png.276745734615c0c620aafb7b3e4a5724.png

Today is 40 days until kickoff. No. 40 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Derion Gullette, a freshman linebacker.

Derion Gullette season outlook

After starting his high school career at Marlin (Texas), Gullette moved to Teague (Texas) and was set to continue his standout prep career before beginning his journey at Texas. But a significant knee injury suffered while playing basketball prior to the season kept him on the sidelines for all of 2022.

Gullette still enrolled early at Texas and rehabilitated his injury with Longhorn trainers in UT facilities. That process continued through the spring and summer and has gone well to this point.

Before any decision is made by Steve Sarkisian, Pete Kwiatkowski, and Jeff Choate, the first priority for Gullette is to get into football shape both mentally and physically. Even if his knee is healed and fully functional, Gullette needs to get his body assimilated to college football and his mind confident in the work done by doctors and rehab. A redshirt year for Gullette, with the occasional special teams appearance, is in order before the Texas staff figures out what place is best for the explosive athlete.

Derion Gullette as a recruit

Gullette was ranked as the No. 140 overall prospect, the No. 13 linebacker, and the No. 28 prospect in Texas in the 2023 On3 Industry Ranking, a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services. On3 ranked Gullette as the No. 82 overall prospect, the No. 7 linebacker, and the No. 17 prospect in Texas.

Screenshot_20230724-213455_kindlephoto-21184776.png.a660ed0035f72115a30a87e900723a0f.png

What's the playing time expectations for Jaylon Guilbeau this season ??  

Screenshot_20230724-214610_kindlephoto-21861638.png.f88fce67639673e1356e569d6e760cc9.png

Was watching highlights of the 2022 Bama game and Jaylon definitely struggled in run support... forgot that he injured his ankle vs okie lite...

Write-up:  A second-year defensive back who has played eight games with three starts ... a two-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (spring 2022, fall 2022).  

FRESHMAN (2022)
Played in eight games with three starts … totaled 19 tackles (eight solo), half a sack, four quarterback hurries and two pass breakups ... made his Longhorn debut as a starter in the season-opening victory over ULM … had one tackle and one quarterback hurry against the Warhawks … registered four tackles (two solo) and half a sack against UTSA … tallied four tackles (one solo) at Texas Tech … had one tackle against West Virginia … recorded one tackle in the shutout victory over Oklahoma in the Red River Showdown … posted three tackles (two solo) against Iowa State … tallied career highs with five tackles, three solo tackles and three quarterback hurries at Oklahoma State ... missed the final five games of the season due to injury.

HIGH SCHOOL 
An All-America and three-time all-district honoree … selected to participate in the 2022 All-American Bowl … rated No. 127 nationally, No. 18 among cornerbacks and No. 21 overall in the state of Texas by 247Sports … ranked No. 144 nationally, No. 18 among cornerbacks and No. 21 in the state of Texas by Rivals … rated No. 203 nationally, No. 21 among cornerbacks and No. 40 overall in the state of Texas by On3 … ranked No. 246 nationally, No. 32 among cornerbacks and No. 38 overall in the state of Texas by ESPN … chosen to the 2021 Super Team Second Team, the Texas Top 300 and as a Top 10 defensive back by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football … tabbed Special Teams Player of the Year of District 9-5A Division 1 and first-team all-district in 2021 … part of a defense that allowed just 16.1 points per game, including five games of 10 points or fewer and two shutouts, as a senior … helped Memorial to an 8-3 overall record, including a 6-1 district mark, and an appearance in the 5A Division 1 bi-district playoffs in 2021 … selected first-team All-District 9-5A Division 1 in 2020 … tallied 40 tackles and five interceptions as a junior … part of a defense that allowed 19.7 points per game, including three games of eight points or fewer and one shutout … helped Memorial to a 9-1 overall record, including a 7-0 district mark and title, and an appearance in the 5A Division 1 bi-district playoffs in 2020 … selected first-team All-District 9-5A Division 1 in 2019 … helped Memorial win two of its final three games as part of a 4-3 district mark, leading to an appearance in the bi-district playoffs in 2019.

Screenshot_20230725-134358_kindlephoto-8379857.png.22fc1d51f507453fccbf450535e87ea1.png

Let’s jump right into ranking the best defensive back groups in the Big 12.

#1 tcu toads

Standouts: CB Josh Newton, N Bud Clark

Unheralded: S Mark Perry

X Factor: CB Avery Helm

The horned toads return everyone but standout cornerback Tre’vius Hodges-Tomlinson and this battle tested group still has tangible upside. The stars of the unit are prototype cornerback Josh Newton and rangy nickel Bud Clark (6-2, 190). The 1st Team All Big 12 Newton is a senior former transfer from ULM who can thrive in any coverage. Bud Clark debuted as a starter with a team-leading 5 interceptions and had a game-changing pick six against Michigan in the playoffs.

Mark Perry was 2nd on the team in tackles last year and the strong safety runs well for his 215 pounds (he was a 10.7 100-meter guy in HS). He is average in coverage, but fits the run well from space, which is an imperative skill for Joe Gillespie‘s system. Millard Bradford rounds out the starters and he’s a very reliable senior safety with 45 college games and 21 starts under his belt.

Key depth is provided by do-everything super sub Abe Camara (started 8 games last year). Transfer CB Avery Helm from Florida and the nation’s top rated JUCO cornerback Channing Canada will battle it out for the final cornerback spot. That battle sets the ceiling for the unit.

Why is tcu ranked above #2 Texas? They’re more battle tested, forced more turnovers and created much more havoc than the Longhorns despite giving up more big plays. How does tcu improve? Gillespie’s defense has a lot going on and the horned toads will bust coverages. That should improve in Year 2 of the system.

#2 Longhorns

Standouts: N Jahdae Barron

Unheralded: S Jerrin Thompson, CB Ryan Watts

X Factors: CB Gavin Holmes, S Jalen Catalon**, CB Terrance Brooks

If you own this, you already have a comprehensive breakdown of every living soul in the secondary (and every other Texas player and unit) so I won’t fully recapitulate here, but like tcu, Texas has excellent depth and a high number of above average to very good players with experience and upside. Nickel Jahdae Barron is one of the best players on the team (led the Horns with tackles for loss) and a healthy Jalen Catalon would be a major boon at safety. Jerrin Thompson and Ryan Watts don’t get the credit they deserve and both bring much-needed physicality at their positions. Gavin Holmes and Terrance Brooks will help form a three man cornerback rotation and the Horns have a quality 3 deep at multiple secondary spots with players like BJ Allen, Michael Taaffe and a very gifted freshman class.

Why aren’t they #1? They could very well be at season’s end, but a lack of turnover creation and subpar money down recognition must be addressed for this unit to earn the crown.

#3 cyclones

Standouts: CB TJ Tampa

Unheralded: S Beau Freyler, S Malik Verdon

X Factor: S Jeremiah Cooper

Oh look, another iowa state defensive unit greater than the sum of its parts. The cyclones may struggle to replace some personnel up front, but the secondary should be good and continuity in the system is never in question. With the exception of hard-hitting safety Anthony Johnson, the key component’s of the Big 12’s best statistical passing defense return. Senior cornerback Tampa is the star of the unit and the 6-2 Floridian is sticky as hell with long limbs and good change of direction. His counterpart Myles Purchase is less impressive on the hoof, but a smart cog in the machine.

Both of iowa state true safeties are big athletes with decent range. Freyler goes 6-2, 210 and Verdon is 6-4, 215. They will factor heavily in run support from depth but are also hard to throw over in Drop 8 coverages. Young Cooper started seven games last year as a true freshman and he’s very quick, but does he have the requisite physicality at cyclones’ combo nickel/safety role?

It’s important to understand iowa state’s defensive backs as a total unit within Jon Heacock‘s system. There are more talented groups than the cyclones, but they won’t play together as well. How do you break them down? Force Cooper to be a tackler against running backs and try to get their big safeties on the run covering a man rather than watching and reacting to the ball in the air.

Honorable Mentions

blOU has a very solid corner in Woodi Washington, but their upside rests on Billy Bowman and standout true freshman Peyton Bowen. They’re difference makers. They added former wisconsin and red raider safety Reggie Pearson for his 6th season of football and he should help them stymie the busts that plagued them last season. If Bowen and Bowman break out, this is likely a top three unit.

Texas tech seemingly can’t do anything conventionally and that applies to their secondary. They have the two biggest corners in the league in Rayshad Williams and Malik Dunlap and the proposition is simple: if you can protect your quarterback and your receivers can separate from their size and length, you can gash tech for huge plays. If you can’t, they can dominate you, particularly on money downs.

KU has an underrated secondary as 1st team All Big 12 cornerback Cobee Bryant is a gamblin’ man outside and Kenny Logan is a good tackling safety that they need to stop using to cover verticals. CB Mello Dotson and S OJ Burroughs will be key in setting their floor. The insistence on using 225 pound Craig Young as linebacker/nickel hybrid leaves them too open to schematic exploitation. The jayhawks should have little to no pass rush, so the real quality of the unit is likely to be obscured.

Edited by LTtxfan

Screenshot_20230728-044433_kindlephoto-4057135.png.1e9b0889def6d38adc9e63669075e83e.png

There’s a fairly clear hierarchy at defensive back and on the defensive line in the Big 12 — at least the top 2-3 units — but linebacker is a matter of taste and how you value potential vs proven performance. Texas, TCU, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State all have things to like though each group has an Achilles’ heel in terms of depth, experience or fit. So I’ll provide the candidates, you provide the rankings.

TEXAS

Standout: Jaylan Ford

Underrated: Jett Bush

Wildcard: Anthony Hill

Ford is the best linebacker in the conference and was responsible for creating 7 turnovers last year while leading the Horns in tackles. Jaylan is carrying a lot of weight for an otherwise unproven unit. However, freshman Anthony Hill flashed elite game-wrecking ability throughout spring camp as a blitzer and pass rusher. Not of the “Oh, he will be good one day” variety but more of the “We have to scheme him on to the field immediately” variety. Hill still has a ways to go as a traditional linebacker, but he could be the Longhorn version of LSU’s Harold Perkins as a freshman, a point and fire agent of mayhem.

Jett Bush had a very good Spring game and is much more comfortable back at his true position for the 2nd straight year. Whether spelling Ford or teaming up with him in certain looks, he’s a nice role player and underrated by Texas fans. David Gbenda is also an important depth or situational piece and he needs to show some progress as a run diagnostician. Morice Blackwell rounds out the unit along with several freshmen. Blackwell is a willing tackler, but he is smallish and lacks elite quickness given his size.

TCU

Standout: Johnny Hodges

Underrated: Jamoi Hodge

Wildcard: Namdi Obiazor

Hodges was good last year as TCU’s traditional linebacker who patrols between the tackles and cleans up the messes created by Gillespie’s stunts. The Navy transfer was a pleasant surprise all around. 6-2, 245 Jamoi Hodge is an explosive and violent hitter who will take over the Dee Winters interior blitzer and mayhem role. He also has a knack for KO’ing opposing QBs – within or outside of the rules. Finally, Obiazor is their coverage linebacker and the 6-3, 210 athlete notched 49 tackles last year as a key reserve. Depth is good and includes former highly regarded recruits Shad Banks and Marcel Brooks.

OKLAHOMA

Standout: Dasan McCullough

Underrated: None

Wildcard: Jaren Kanak

Oklahoma has two new starters to revamp what was a sluggish linebacker corps last year. Danny Stutsman returns after the leading the Sooners in tackles in 2022. He’s on several preseason All Big 12 teams, but from my viewing that may be a function of name familiarity and stat accumulation rather than game impact. Sooner coaches are happy with the athleticism injected by new starters Jaren Kanak (10.37 100 meters in HS) and Dasan McCullough from Indiana, a wiry 6-5, 225 pound greyhound. McCullough is said to be outstanding in coverage and as a blitzer. They considerably upgraded 2nd level athleticism from last year and that will give Venables much more flexibility in coverage and running stunts.

Physicality and depth may be a question mark, but we’ll see.

OKLAHOMA STATE

Standout: Collin Oliver

Underrated: Xavier Benson

Wildcard: Justin Wright

Collin Oliver moves to linebacker from the edge, but he’ll still be deployed primarily as a pass rusher and disruptor, even when lined up off of the ball. He’s very good at it, having compiled 16.5 sacks over the last two seasons. Xavier Benson is an experienced interior run stopper while Tulsa transfer Justin Wright may hold the key to the unit’s physical upside. He led Tulsa in tackles for multiple seasons and the 245 pounder could bring some much needed brawn that the Cowboys lacked on defense. He’ll have to beat out young Nick Martin for the MLB spot. Oklahoma State is on their third defense in three years, so there will be some growing pains early. A creampuff schedule will help ameliorate that.

KANSAS STATE

Standout: Austin Moore

Underrated: Daniel Green

Wildcard: Desmond Purnell

220 pound former walk-on Austin Moore looks like the Wildcats grabbed the most athletic frat guy from the intramural fields, but he has outstanding instincts and led the Cats in tackles last year. Just a natural football player. Daniel Green is an imposing contrast as a jacked 6-3, 245 pound middle linebacker. The 6th year senior has been playing at KSU forever (28.5 career tackles for loss) and he’ll create some stability for a defense that saw major talent turnover up front and on the back end. Finally, Desmond Purnell rounds out the starters and he is undersized with coverage ability. The Cats don’t have elite talent, but this group is very capable and will have be a mainstay until the secondary and defensive line find their sea legs.

The rest of the league has some good individual players, but those are the top 5 units. How do you see them?

Article yesterday...

Screenshot_20230728-045221_kindlephoto-4522078.png.efeffb45f0f50b9e98ed415a943f0c91.png

Today is 37 days until kickoff. No. 37 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Morice Blackwell, a junior linebacker.

Morice Blackwell season outlook

Last spring, the Texas staff tried Blackwell out at safety. Spring is a time for experimentation, and though he provided a physical presence in the secondary, the lasting image of Blackwell’s time at defensive back was Isaiah Neyor running past him in the 2022 Orange-White Game.

He returned to linebacker, the position he was originally recruited for, and displayed a toughness and ability tailor-made for the Sam position during the 2022 season. Blackwell didn’t displace Jaylan Ford or DeMarvion Overshown at off-ball linebacker, but he played the Sam role well when the Longhorns were in their base defense.

During the spring of 2023, Steve Sarkisian noted Blackwell was at a weight similar to the one Overshown played at during his final season in Austin. Though listed at 208 pounds, Sarkisian said Blackwell was closer to 215 pounds in April. He also gave him lofty praise.

“He’s a heck of a player,” Sarkisian said. “I love the competitive nature of Mo. We asked a lot of him as a true freshman on special teams. He plays violent. He plays tough. I think he plays the way we want to play football, and he provides a lot of versatility.”

With Overshown now on the Dallas Cowboys, Blackwell is contending to succeed Agent Zero at the Will linebacker position. He’s competing with David Gbenda for snaps, but Blackwell is going play plenty no matter who the starter ends up being at that position. He’ll factor at both Will and Sam, and his versatility will be utilized often by Pete Kwiatkowski on conventional downs and Jeff Banks on special teams.

Blackwell has appeared in 22 games with four starts and has also seen time at defensive back in his two seasons at Texas. He has racked up 14 tackles, 10 of them solo, a tackle for a loss, a pass defended and a blocked kick.

Morice Blackwell as a recruit

Blackwell was ranked as the No. 299 overall prospect, the No. 33 linebacker, and the No. 47 player in Texas in the 2021 On3 Industry Ranking, a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services. On3 ranked Blackwell as the No. 254 overall prospect, the No. 23 linebacker, and the No. 39 player in Texas.

Screenshot_20230728-045506_kindlephoto-4686251.png.a9a59d91ad37ba99ca2386bf874bc86b.png

Screenshot_20230731-150106_kindlephoto-21244287.png.3c7cb8871bfd9bf9a2b0af2a6ce3c6ba.png

Today is 33 days until kickoff. No. 33 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by David Gbenda, a senior linebacker.

David Gbenda season outlook

One of the reasons for Gbenda’s lofty ranking as a high school prospect was his athletic profile. He had great track speed and the requisite size to play linebacker in the Power 5, and the Longhorns topped Texas A&M for his services.

He needed development as a linebacker, something that was delayed when he switched to running back during his freshman season due to injuries at the position.

Now entering his senior season, Gbenda hopes to utlize the multiple years of development as DeMarvion Overshown‘s understudy to replace Agent 0 at the Will linebacker position.

He’ll have to do better in diagnosing the run, but that’s a part of his game he’s shored up throughout the offseason. There’s stiff competition from Morice Blackwell and even Anthony Hill, but Gbenda should be Will linebacker No. 1 when training camp starts. If he’s in that same spot when it ends is something up to him.

Gbenda has played in 32 games and started three times in his four years on the 40 Acres. He has amassed 55 tackles (32 of them solo), two tackles for a loss, one sack, an interception and two passes defended. Gbenda was a member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll in the fall of 2020. 

David Gbenda as a recruit

Gbenda was ranked as the No. 167 overall prospect, the No. 20 linebacker, and the No. 23 prospect in Texas according to the 2019 On3 Industry Ranking.

Screenshot_20230731-151547_kindlephoto-22125540.png.133912f50e460b5a21213fc8af63103e.png

Screenshot_20230805-183037_kindlephoto-3646266.png.b67db6ec2f1028893d6aba5a2c17bcef.png

Today is 28 days until kickoff. No. 28 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Jerrin Thompson, a senior defensive back.

Jerrin Thompson season outlook

After starting 12 of 13 games at boundary safety last season, Thompson returns for his senior year as one of the elder statesmen in the secondary and as a leader of the team. The arrival of Jalen Catalon may move him to the field spot, but nonetheless Thompson will be a mainstay on the field for the 2023 Longhorns.

In 2020 he was a special teams standout, often showing a pure love for the game in the third phase other players don’t make visible regularly. Then in 2021, he took over playing time at safety in the second half of the season, setting himself up for a starting role in 2022.

He patrolled the secondary alongside Anthony Cook in 2022, but this year he is likely to move into Cook’s spot. Thompson’s quality play on the gridiron will have to be matched by his communication, plus a continued ability to make rangy plays in the passing game.

Thompson has played in 35 games with 20 starts in his three years on the 40 Acres and has amassed 138 tackles (86 of them solo), 3.5 tackles for a loss, two interceptions, 13 passes defended and a forced fumble.

Thompson was a 2022 honorable mention All-Big 12 selection by the league’s coaches, an Academic All-Big 12 Second Team member in 2021 and is a three-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021).

Jerrin Thompson as a recruit

Thompson was ranked as the No. 199 overall prospect, the No. 14 safety, and the No. 30 player in Texas in the 2020 On3 Industry Ranking.

Screenshot_20230805-183239_kindlephoto-3769093.png.7a05575277690d023286f1c09688f99e.png

Screenshot_20230808-175959_kindlephoto-6607159.png.c452684d3623d52c0f16fd532325e15f.png

Today is 25 days until kickoff. No. 25 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Jelani McDonald, a true freshman defensive back.

Jelani McDonald season outlook

Mike Gundy knows how to find them. Unfortunately for the Oklahoma State head coach, he can’t always keep them.

McDonald was committed to Oklahoma State prior to the start of his senior year with Waco (Texas) Connally. The Texas Longhorns came calling on October 11, and two weeks later McDonald backed off his pledge. The Horns topped TCU for the star athlete’s services in the ensuing recruitment, putting the finishing touches on an excellent 2023 linebacker class.

Or so it was thought. McDonald told Inside Texas in May that Steve Sarkisian and Pete Kwiatkowski were going to place the 6-foot-2, 205-pounder at Star, or nickel, to start his career. That may have had to do with maintaining a 2024 recruiting pitch for linebackers, but it also is a credit to McDonald’s athleticism and ability.

During media viewing sessions of practice, McDonald has worked at Star under the watchful eye of Terry Joseph. Whether he sticks there long term is to be determined, especially as McDonald likely adds weight to his frame.

How he takes to the position is something to monitor. McDonald may grow into a linebacker, but there may be a stop on special teams units along the way.

Jelani McDonald as a recruit

McDonald was ranked as the No. 74 overall prospect, the No. 2 athlete, and the No. 15 player in Texas according to the 2023 On3 Industry Ranking, a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services.

Screenshot_20230808-182347_kindlephoto-7310356.png.ff9a07be3ab909539c906e8413d36054.png

Screenshot_20230808-190549_kindlephoto-9833536.png.11df4a50f7d856ced4db13c22317a500.png

When the Longhorns signed one-time Texas A&M pledge and On3 Industry Ranking five-star linebacker Anthony Hill, the Texas program added a disruptive difference-maker to Pete Kwiatkowski‘s side of the ball. Hill brings bona fide athleticism and work ethic to the Longhorn defense, something to be expected from the No. 16 prospect prospect in the nation and a product of Denton’s Ryan High School.

Hill enrolled early and flashed athleticism and ability few in the program could match, garnering praise from coaches and teammates alike. Hill is destined to make an early impact. The only question that remains is how?

“We’re still figuring that out,” Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian said Monday.

Hill’s long term destination is more than likely off-ball linebacker, a position he played regularly in high school. However, Hill provides a level of explosiveness that might place him in a short term role where he attacks offenses more than he reads them. While Sarkisian wasn’t interested in elaborating on Hill’s 2023 assignments, on August 1 Kwiatkowski mapped out some of the options on the table for the the No. 2 linebacker in the 2023 cycle.

“He’s got a nose for the ball,” Kwiatkowski said. “Does not know what he’s doing all the time, but when he makes mistakes he makes them 100 percent, full speed. He just has a knack for finding the ball. He’s got some good players in front of him, so he’s going to be able to learn and not be thrown into the heat of things.

“He’s going to be able to learn piecemeal. For us as coaches, it’s finding that role for him. Like I mentioned earlier, maybe it’s on third-down passing situations where we can get him involved coming off the edge or blitzing, playing to his skill set. We don’t want to throw everything at him. I think he’s in a good position.”

The “good players in front of him” Kwiatkowski alluded to include third-team All-American Jaylan Ford, plus veterans like Jett Bush, David Gbenda, and Morice Blackwell. Hill isn’t going to be tasked with heavy snaps at off-ball linebacker unless he’s ready for it or an emergency arises.

“Our job is to put our team in the best position to try to win a conference championship,” Sarkisian said in reference to Hill. “We’re going to focus on this year.”

For Hill, that entails a role like one mentioned by Kwiatkowski, one where he’s moving forward and using his five-star athleticism to disrupt opponents via the blitz or pass-rush. So far through a handful of practices, Hill’s veteran teammates have seen some of the traits needed to be in that spot.

“He has good get-off, good bend, and a good awareness of where the quarterback is,” Barryn Sorrell said Friday. “He knows how to move around tackles and dirty up the pocket.”

So how could he be used? Texas may not need to look much further than the previous holder of the No. 0 jersey: DeMarvion Overshown.

Last season according to Pro Football Focus, Overshown played 711 standard non-special teams snaps. Over 60 percent of those were at a middle linebacker spot. However, one-third of Overshown’s snaps saw him roam to the edge. Those were typically on third down or in passing situations where Overshown’s tremendous ability to get downhill could be unleashed.

It took several seasons for Overshown to become more proficient at processing the image in front of him as a linebacker. That may keep Hill limited to more situational roles like the ones mentioned by Kwiatkowski.

Hill’s recent reps in those spots have been eye-opening for teammates.

Said Ja’Tavion Sanders, “you see flashes. That’s what you want to see in a young guy because he can have what it takes, he’s just got to get the right mindset, get his body right, and just get right in general.”

Sanders more than any other Longhorn would know about Hill’s talent. Sanders was a senior for Denton Ryan in 2020 when Hill played both ways as a sophomore. Hill rushed for four touchdowns and recorded 47 tackles on a 5A state championship team. Hill became a predominantly defensive player as his career went on, and Sanders saw things that made it clear they’d share five-star billing.

“Ant’s been the same way since I’ve met him honestly,” Sander said. “He’s always been on point. That young man is a great kid and an even better football player, really.”

Even Sorrell saw a bright future for Hill, a future that could arrive as soon as this season.

“He’s definitely a young guy that I could see playing,” Sorrell said. “He has the mindset to get out there and make plays.”

That type of praise from players who had to go through developmental processes in order to see the field speaks to the impact Hill has already had in practice. The two had no problem lauding Hill during his first training camp, a time in previous years where they had to focus on intricate details to prepare for playing time down the line.

If Hill’s time arrives early in the 2023 campaign, his first as a Longhorn, Sanders can’t wait to watch.

“When he gets his chance I want him to show the world what he really can do,” Sanders said.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not. This is what we have at safety now. My loins are excited.

Keep Catalon healthy, and Texas will get more interceptions in 2023.

This defense needs more playmakers and turnovers... I really hope AntHill flies around and creates more havoc!!!  

Screenshot_2023-08-10-18-21-33_kindlephoto-6103662.png.0d4cfd0cdb68b4070e06cdbba197dc71.png

Today is 23 days until kickoff. No. 23 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Jahdae Barron, a senior defensive back, and Jaydon Blue, a sophomore running back.

Jahdae Barron season outlook

Freshman Jaylon Guilbeau started the first two games of the 2022 campaign at Star before Barron returned both to full health and the starting lineup. At that crucial position in the Texas defense, Barron became one of the teams more effective defenders. He successfully played the run and won assignments versus slot receivers in the pass game.

An instinctual player who has also made waves on special teams, Barron will be asked to play at a high level once again this season. He’s aware doing so will help the team and his professional future.

“When my coach moved me at the position he told me at the end of the day it created value for myself,” Barron told Ian Boyd at Big 12 Media Days. “Just to be able to play in the box and still go play and cover guys in the slot and to be able to tackle in space and stuff like that. But at the end of the day I’m still learning corner and safety and critiquing my game at nickel. I want to do it all.”

Barron has played in 27 games with 11 starts in his three years at Texas. He has amassed 99 total tackles (58 of them solo), 12.5 tackles for a loss, a sack, two interceptions, nine passed defended and a fumble caused and one recovered in his career.

Barron is tied for sixth in program history with three non-offensive touchdowns (1 blk PR, 1 INT return, 1 FR). He was named honorable mention All-Big 12 in 2022, the same season he was a fourth-team All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Athlon Sports.

Barron was selected to the 2021 Academic All-Big 12 First Team and is a two-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall 2020, spring 2021).

Jahdae Barron as a recruit

Screenshot_2023-08-10-18-30-39_kindlephoto-6608949.png.42e891c506fa1f91c95a4378311d8bac.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Screenshot_2023-08-10-19-09-21_kindlephoto-8938729.png.2f045064494f07045442a6ce79994c2c.png

David Gbenda is entering his fifth year with the Longhorn football program. He’s seen two head coaches, had a brief stint in the running back room, and has seen a significant number of members from his class of 2019 come and go.

Last season, Gbenda was in line to spell DeMarvion Overshown at the Will off-ball linebacker spot. But after spring practice, the coaches decided to add FCS transfer Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey to the roster, bumping Gbenda down a place in the pecking order.

Gbenda, who had already made 24 appearances with two starts in his Texas career at that juncture, didn’t take that as a slight. He saw it as an opportunity.

“My initial reaction was, I looked at his addition to the team as someone I can learn from,” Gbenda said Tuesday. “I looked at his film, they were bringing him in for a reason, so let me take some pieces and things here and there from his game. At first, I was just very eager to learn from him and be under his wing at that position.”

Gbenda said he became more intentional in what he did on and off the field after learning from not only Tucker-Dorsey, but also Overshown, Jaylan Ford, and other teammates. That knowledge and his four-year developmental track has him yearning to showcase his talents in the starting lineup, but not for selfish reasons.

“I don’t want to start and get that just because I started (in the past),” Gbenda said. “I want to start and contribute to the team and help us win the Big 12. That’s my goal. To help us get to the Big 12 and then to the national championship.”

Gbenda has 55 tackles with 2.0 for loss and one sack along with one interception during his 32-game career. A 6-foot-0, 225-pounder out of Katy (Texas) Cinco Ranch, Gbenda saw 71 non-special teams snaps across all 13 games last season according to PFF. He played in each of the Longhorns’ first four games, including a start versus Texas Tech in place of a targeting-suspended Overshown. But in the final nine contests, he was on the field for 26 total plays.

That type of diminished playing time after four years on campus would have led a lot of current college football players to the transfer portal. Not Gbenda, one of three remaining members along with Jordan Whittington and T’Vondre Sweat from the class of 2019.

“Even from high school, I never really was a guy to just quit,” Gbenda said. “I believed in this university. I told myself I was going to get a degree here. When I 100 percent committed to this university, I was committed to this university regardless of anything going on.”

Now, Gbenda may be the leading candidate to start alongside Ford at the Will linebacker spot. Gbenda said Tuesday seeing Ford go from spot-player to All-American was a positive influence for him.

However, Gbenda isn’t without his weaknesses. Those weaknesses aren’t related to athleticism as Gbenda ran a 11.06 100m for Cinco Ranch during the 2019 season. Rather, the ability for Gbenda to properly process the image in front of him has been the area needing improvement.

In trying to bolster that Will position, Texas has Morice Blackwell competing with Gbenda. Even though they’re battling each other, Gbenda took an opportunity to praise Blackwell, who he called the “slim reaper.”

“He’s a physical guy, great footwork, good zone drops,” Gbenda said.

He’d later add about Blackwell’s listed 6-foot-1, 208-pound frame: “don’t let that fool you, he packs a lot of bite.”

No matter what happens at the position, Gbenda is confident in the Longhorns’ ability to follow through on lofty expectations during the 2023 season. His own efforts are one reason, the efforts of those around him are another.

“What I look at is the team’s work ethic and how our mindset is,” Gbenda said. “We’re not paying attention to the rankings. We’re not paying attention to the awards or stuff like that.

“Team run, I’m seeing groups of running backs over here getting an extra arm. I’m seeing QBs work on core. I’m seeing the linebackers, even the younger guys, we’re all coming together working the arms together.

“From the top down, from the older guys to the younger guys, I’m seeing a lot of buy-in. That’s why I truly believe this team is going to be the one that makes that breakthrough this year, because we’re all working.”

Yesterday's article...

Screenshot_20230813-093243_kindlephoto-3240818.png.4d98e91580d094a79149a7ac039d11e0.png

Kitan Crawford season outlook

Upon signing with the Texas Longhorns Class of 2020, Crawford was a four-star cornerback from Tyler (Texas) Tyler High, home of former Horns like Earl Campbell, Aaron Ross, and Tim Crowder.

Crawford played corner in Austin during his first season, where he mostly logged time on the special teams units. He was moved to safety a year later to add athleticism to that portion of the secondary. While he’s likely running at field safety with the second team currently, he’s been a special teams stalwart over the last two years. He’s known for his nasty, hard-hitting and dog-like mentality.

Crawford has played in 33 games with one start in his three years at Texas, recording 37 tackles (27 of them solo), a tackle for a loss, two passes defended and a blocked kick. 

Crawford earned Academic All-Big 12 First Team honors in 2021 and is a three-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (fall 2020, spring 2021, spring 2022).

Kitan Crawford as a recruit

Screenshot_20230813-093623_kindlephoto-3461084.png.63db120ecdd7b6b6e2ca4fe1bbc60d21.png

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

So Jalen has a really bad injury history which has everyone a little hesitant to assess his value. BUT what if we get 6 or 7 games out him playing at an all-american level? Seems like it's still worth it.

Yesterday...

Screenshot_20230823-080551_kindlephoto-5159067.png.7ac37bda2ad324a22ab0803db08bc85b.png

Jalen Catalon season outlook

Texas missed on Catalon when it first recruited him during the 2019 cycle. After he entered the transfer portal following the 2022 campaign, Texas made sure that didn’t happen again.

Catalon made a home at Arkansas as the middle safety in the Flyover defense. He became a household name during the 2020 campaign, earning freshman All-American honors as well as All-SEC billing. He came out of the gate strong in 2021, inflicting a good bit of damage to Texas in Fayetteville.

Then, injuries hampered his career, cutting his 2021 and 2022 seasons short. He sought a new home, and found one in Austin.

Texas has been careful with Catalon in part to keep him healthy for the season and also due to the high level of play he’s shown during the spring, summer, and fall. He’s almost a known commodity at the position. Texas knows they’ll get an instinctive striker who’ll throw his body around. They want other teams to learn that information during the season.

Along with Jerrin Thompson, Catalon is primed for a major season with the Longhorns.

Catalon was a shining star at Arkansas when he was healthy. He was a physical presence in the defensive backfield, and played in 21 games, starting 16, during his career with the Razorbacks from 2019-22.

Catalon amassed 159 tackles, 81 solo stops, 3.5 tackles for loss, five interceptions, 14 passes defended, and three forced fumbles over that stint. He played in all 10 games and started nine at strong safety in 2020 when he was named a semifinalist for the Thorpe Award and earned a spot on the All-SEC First Team by the AP and second team by the coaches.

Screenshot_20230823-081108_kindlephoto-5476630.png.f25d25b1f510c84d58b89062e64224bf.png

9 days till kickoff 🤘

Screenshot_20230824-023409_kindlephoto-2476739.png

20172590-768x512.jpeg

Today's IT notes thanks to @Hookem2147

Position Battles

Just when I thought battles were pretty much decided, it sounds like Gavin Holmes is making a spirited push to start opposite Ryan Watts. Holmes has tightened up the race with Terrance Brooks, the expected starter at field cornerback. Holmes is known to be very sticky in coverage, even against UT’s quality receiving corp. To our knowledge, Brooks has done nothing wrong. It’ll be interesting to see whose name is atop the chart, but both will play quite a bit either way. Holmes is peaking.

I’m expecting Malik Muhammad to backup Watts, at least to start the season. He’s physical enough for the position but more smooth in coverage than Watts. It’ll be interesting to see how much the coaches rotate. Muhammad has shown he’s ready to play.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:12 AM, LTtxfan said:

Yesterday...

Screenshot_20230823-080551_kindlephoto-5159067.png.7ac37bda2ad324a22ab0803db08bc85b.png

Jalen Catalon season outlook

Texas missed on Catalon when it first recruited him during the 2019 cycle. After he entered the transfer portal following the 2022 campaign, Texas made sure that didn’t happen again.

Catalon made a home at Arkansas as the middle safety in the Flyover defense. He became a household name during the 2020 campaign, earning freshman All-American honors as well as All-SEC billing. He came out of the gate strong in 2021, inflicting a good bit of damage to Texas in Fayetteville.

Then, injuries hampered his career, cutting his 2021 and 2022 seasons short. He sought a new home, and found one in Austin.

Texas has been careful with Catalon in part to keep him healthy for the season and also due to the high level of play he’s shown during the spring, summer, and fall. He’s almost a known commodity at the position. Texas knows they’ll get an instinctive striker who’ll throw his body around. They want other teams to learn that information during the season.

Along with Jerrin Thompson, Catalon is primed for a major season with the Longhorns.

Catalon was a shining star at Arkansas when he was healthy. He was a physical presence in the defensive backfield, and played in 21 games, starting 16, during his career with the Razorbacks from 2019-22.

Catalon amassed 159 tackles, 81 solo stops, 3.5 tackles for loss, five interceptions, 14 passes defended, and three forced fumbles over that stint. He played in all 10 games and started nine at strong safety in 2020 when he was named a semifinalist for the Thorpe Award and earned a spot on the All-SEC First Team by the AP and second team by the coaches.

Screenshot_20230823-081108_kindlephoto-5476630.png.f25d25b1f510c84d58b89062e64224bf.png

Get 'em CAT !!! 🤘

11883253.jpeg?fit=bounds&width=644&heigh

Friday, Aug 25th

Screenshot_20230826-031508_kindlephoto-47796821.png.85ae6bf7f24c31b899701c0ba42f104b.png

Terrance Brooks season outlook

One of the highest-rated defenders in the Longhorns’ 2022 class, Brooks waited his turn for most of the season before earning three starts toward the end of the year. More comfort with the college game was needed for the long-armed son of Chet Brooks, but once he had that comfort the physical gifts were made evident on the field.

Without a super-senior like D’Shawn Jamison on the roster ahead of him, Brooks battled over the course of the spring, summer, and preseason with Gavin Holmes for the starting field corner spot. That battle has continued even eight days from the start of the 2023 campaign. Who takes the first snap at that position isn’t quite yet known, but both Brooks and Holmes will see a significant number of snaps this season opposite of Ryan Watts.

Brooks played in nine games with three starts in 2022, racking up nine tackles (five solo) with three pass breakups.

Screenshot_20230826-031845_kindlephoto-48010238.png.b5c61b4fe80107bff72b85e6f344ef6d.png

Thurs, Aug 24th

Screenshot_20230826-032126_kindlephoto-48172252.png.b8ffda1304b156dbf081db013651e4c7.png

20172590-768x512.jpeg

Gavin Holmes season outlook

Texas needed to shore up depth at cornerback following the exhaustion of D’Shawn Jamison‘s eligibility, and the Horns looked to the portal and found Holmes.

After a solid career with the Demon Deacons, Holmes sought opportunity and relationships and Texas’ Terry Joseph was able to offer both.

A great fit for field corner, Holmes competed with sophomore Terrance Brooks at that position. Brooks, who surged at the end of the 2022 season, has a solid grasp on the position but Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian said Monday that Holmes had one of his better weeks last week including the Saturday scrimmage.

Holmes may not start, but he’ll have plenty of opportunity. The quality of depth at corner, field corner specifically, means even if he’s not the first player on the field Holmes will play plenty on the wide side this season.

Holmes is a transfer cornerback from Wake Forest. He spent three seasons with the Demon Deacons, including redshirting in 2020 and played in 28 career games with 14 starts. Holmes recorded 44 tackles over the past two years, 23 of them solo, along with 13 pass breakups, three tackles for loss, an interception and one forced fumble.

Screenshot_20230826-032611_kindlephoto-48456018.png.e6db06f890787c18968bfac8a219336c.png