Homemade corny dog recipe?

Assman

Everybody's corn dogs look great! That was fun. Pretty easy too -- I'll be doing this again.

So I have like 10 leftover dogs. What's best way to keep them? They're currently in Ziploc in fridge. FoodSaver and freeze.

BTW, that pork/quail sausage in my picture is pretty damn good. Got it at Central Market. Turned out great as a corn dog.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:09 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I used this recipe instead of the Texas Monthly one because of the honey. You definitely need the honey. I think it made a huge difference.

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/corn-dogs-recipe/

I used this recipe exactly and the batter was way thicker than I expected. It was not like waffle/pancake batter consistency, which was what I expected. I made it work and it tasted great but I almost "painted" on the cornmeal mix on the dogs. Like I said, it tasted great.

I used the one above by Tony Texas and used buttermilk for the liquid. I also used about 1/8C sugar, not the 1/4 listed.  I used canola oil at 350° and fried them for about 3.5 minutes. I did them two at a time so I could manage them better and not drop the temp of the oil as much. Yes, I dried the raw weenie with a paper towel and very lightly dusted them with AP flour. They really did turn out damn good. Let me know if you make them and what you think.

• Like 1

I used this recipe exactly and the batter was way thicker than I expected. It was not like waffle/pancake batter consistency, which was what I expected. I made it work and it tasted great but I almost "painted" on the cornmeal mix on the dogs. Like I said, it tasted great.
This is funny because I used the same exact recipe but I thought mine was slightly runny. I did use 2% instead of butter milk though. Also, the longer you chill the batter the thicker. Either way they were delicious.

So when OU was driving and looked like they may further extend their lead about 9 minutes left in 4Q yesterday I decided I needed a break from the shittiness and the sun.  Walked out and thought will check out the Fletchers stand.  It was surreal, not a person there.  I ordered a jalapeno cheese and they had to make it for me...like the guy said, "ok this will be 3 or so minutes"  It was about the best one ever due to it coming straight from the oil to me.  Then I walked back in and my story gets worse from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the dinneratthezoo link recipe above and they turned out great.  The batter was a little thick coming out of the fridge so i added a touch more buttermilk and it worked out great.

I used oscar meyer cheese dogs rather than trying to screw it up with sliced cheese and got the cheese element too which was nice, but should have added some diced jalapeno into the batter. 

FYI they do freeze and reheat well.  10 minutes or so at 350 in the oven and they came out hot and crispy but not burnt. 

On October 6, 2020 at 1:56 PM, Landomatic said:

For all you lazy fucks like me, Costco has the closest I've found...lifetime supply for like $12

large_279e6f27-8eff-4b50-846c-4abd4593ad

I think I've tried these. I put a couple in the oven after I had a few drinks one night. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up a couple hours later. They didn't even look burnt. The batter coating was still golden brown but it was as hard as a rock. 

When I was a kid they used to sell corn dog mix in the grocery store. It was a batter mix that you just added water to and a bunch of wooden skewers. You just needed to buy hot dogs separately. I haven't seen that in years.

I used the one above by Tony Texas and used buttermilk for the liquid. I also used about 1/8C sugar, not the 1/4 listed.  I used canola oil at 350° and fried them for about 3.5 minutes. I did them two at a time so I could manage them better and not drop the temp of the oil as much. Yes, I dried the raw weenie with a paper towel and very lightly dusted them with AP flour. They really did turn out damn good. Let me know if you make them and what you think.

Followed your method and they were fantastic
3addae1b3533a251921d72c1a08b028c.jpg
  • Like 2