Kindle and other e-readers

My wife reads books on her phone a lot. It’s an iPhone 12 with phone dimensions 5.78” x 2.82”, actual screen size is slightly smaller.

I was thinking of getting her a Kindle to make reading more comfortable for her but then I saw the Kindle dimensions are 6.56” x 4.56” which doesn’t seem that much bigger.

Would those of you that have a Kindle care to comment? Is the difference noticeable or marginal? Does the paperwhite screen make it worth it?

Not so much concerned about cost because they are cheap, just don’t want to buy a pointless extra device that requires its own charger and eventually ends up in a drawer.

9 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

My wife reads books on her phone a lot. It’s an iPhone 12 with phone dimensions 5.78” x 2.82”, actual screen size is slightly smaller.

I was thinking of getting her a Kindle to make reading more comfortable for her but then I saw the Kindle dimensions are 6.56” x 4.56” which doesn’t seem that much bigger.

Would those of you that have a Kindle care to comment? Is the difference noticeable or marginal? Does the paperwhite screen make it worth it?

Not so much concerned about cost because they are cheap, just don’t want to buy a pointless extra device that requires its own charger and eventually ends up in a drawer.

to your wife, 4.56" is WAY bigger than she is used to

I have a big ass phone and make a point to read all that I can on a kindle.  

16 sq" vs 30 sq".  So twice as much screen area.  Get a paperwhite with the backlighting. 

- they charge with a standard USB and stay charged for at least a week.

Kindle is a better reading experience.  Now, if your wife reads on her phone because she already has it in her hand (riding in car, train, plane, etc.) and would now always have to keep a kindle with her to use it in a similar fashion, you can probably pass on the purchase.  If she just reads in bed and could just as easily pick up the kindle instead of her phone she will thank you for it.

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

what makes it so much better?  even at $199, that's huge leap over a refurb paperwhite at like $69

Better lighting. A bit bigger screen. The physical page turning buttons are much more convenient. Just a better overall experience. 

Edited by Deej

I bought the Paperwhite last week for $160. Price is now $110 for Black Friday. I figured something like that might happen but I needed it as a birthday gift for the wife and I also figured I could collect the price difference later.

Spoke to Amazon on the phone today and they won’t credit me the difference because apparently they don’t have any kind of price guarantee. They said I can order another one at the new price and send the first one back. I told them that’s stupid and it wastes time and money on shipping, not to mention the environmental impact of new packaging and the delivery truck. They know and don’t care.

So I ordered the same one again. Only problem is they don’t have it in stock until December 2, and even though it’s a Prime item and I’m a Prime member, that apparently doesn’t mean shit anymore because 2 day delivery isn’t guaranteed. I’m instead given a 4 day delivery window.

Fucking Amazon.

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

An upvote for the paperwhite. I"m on a computer all day long with eye strain. It's nice to read on a low light device that is still clear and easy to read.

Also if you have the opportunity to read outdoors, that type of display is vastly superior.