2021 Texas Softball

Machinator

OF play tonight is exceptional. Each team has a DP from a caught fly out. OU had a diving catch and doubled off the runner at 2nd. FSU RF caught it and gunned down the runner trying to tag up and move to 3rd. 

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh gross, they just said game 3 (if needed) would be Thursday AFTERNOON

Thursday primetime ESPN at 7pm is NBA, ESPN2 is NCAA Track National Championships live.  That does suck for softball though. Here’s hoping FSU doesn’t need Thursday.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Out by a mile but I liked the send. 

FSU has been no stop sign from 2nd to home and forcing OU’s OF to make the throw. Got it that time, but not the other 2 times 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The athletes have progressed past the current configuration. They already had to move the rubber back as the pitching became overly dominant. 5-10 feet added to bases would help the game imo. 

So, in your opinion, should international softball also change? As it is now, college pitching distance is the same as international. 

2 minutes ago, Lostman said:

So, in your opinion, should international softball also change? As it is now, college pitching distance is the same as international. 

I don’t watch international or pro softball really so I don’t know what it looks like. I just know that in my opinion there’s too many infield hits on balls that are played well by infielders, so I think 2 more steps  to first would lessen that.  Outfield wall seems fine as far as home run rate but it is pretty close as far as allowing extra base hits to the less fleet of foot. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t watch international or pro softball really so I don’t know what it looks like. I just know that in my opinion there’s too many infield hits on balls that are played well by infielders, so I think 2 more steps  to first would lessen that.  Outfield wall seems fine as far as home run rate but it is pretty close as far as allowing extra base hits to the less fleet of foot. 

International and pro are same distances, only main difference is they doesn’t require trailing toe to be kept down. It’s not the women’s version of baseball, that already exists. It’s a totally different game, much quicker, very different strategies, and much more difficult. 

The last 2 games of this champ series will be interesting.

• No one has managed to beat OU twice.  Georgia won game 1 in Athens, lost game 2.  OSU won game 1 in the Big 12 series, lost the next 3 (including Big 12 champ game).  JMU won game 1 in the WCWS, lost the 2 semifinal games.
  • OU usually has an elite defense, but last night was abysmal.   The shitty throw to second in the first inning, the overthrow trying to catch a runner stealing.  They don't go down as errors, but both obstruction calls were basically errors on the catcher. 
  • FSU's Watson holding OU scoreless/hitless the first time through the order - wow.  Don't see that often/ever.  And just the 2 solo HRs allowed after that (6 hits total). 
  • Patty Gasso hanging Nicole May out to dry - after it was 4-0, she said they had Juarez warming but didn't want to use her in game 1, but neither Saile nor Raines were warming.  So why was your "ace" warming if you weren't going to use her, but the 2 other pitchers were doing nothing?  They left the freshman out to dry - and they will likely need her again. 
  • FSU saw a lot of pitches from May and Saile.  68 and 58.   Both will be needed in a 3 game series again.  Saile had 3 walks in 3 innings - only 1 ER allowed, but FSU could have done more if not for that bad baserunning to get a runner thrown out well before she got home and the other baserunning blunder.
  • FSU threw their #3 and got the win and barely had to throw their #1 (21 pitches) and #2 (Arnold) is rested and ready for today.  
Edited by Js1

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Pure arrogance on display last night.  Let’s see if they can muster up an ounce of humility and play ball. 

That too.  The #1 overall seed came in and got punched in the mouth by the #10 seed and didn't know what to do.  They kept looking around waiting for someone else to start a rally and no one stepped up. 

FSU also has 5 players with champ game experience who were underdogs when they won it all in 2018 too.  They thrive with their backs against the wall, considering how many straight elimination games they have won since 2018.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Bama OF KB Sides in the portal. Texas needs 2 OF with Ellsworth, Tedder and Rhodes moving on

The senior finished the season with a .314 batting average and 20 RBIs.

Sides was a three-year starter for the Crimson Tide and made the All-SEC defensive team in 2021 with a .955 fielding percentage.

• Hook 'Em 1