The US and Korea

RomaVicta

When I become King of the US we will leave South Korea.  And I'll tell the Norks that if they come across the 38th parallel their country will disappear from the planet Earth.  And they would believe me, 'cause I wouldn't be bluffing.

2 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

When I become King of the US we will leave South Korea.  And I'll tell the Norks that if they come across the 38th parallel their country will disappear from the planet Earth.  And they would believe me, 'cause I wouldn't be bluffing.

Good-bye, Seoul.

32 minutes ago, Amobie said:

They are already past the sale on denuclearization.  They are talking reunification.  That's a big fucking deal.  NK just released US prisoners ahead of the summit. 

https://www.ft.com/content/871bce30-4dd6-11e8-8a8e-22951a2d8493

Can't read link without subscription.   If NK giving up their nukes is a done deal, with verification, then I'd happily give Trump all the credit he wants. 

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Can't read link without subscription.   If NK giving up their nukes is a done deal, with verification, then I'd happily give Trump all the credit he wants. 

About that.

Before we give Donald of Orange the Nobel, let's all take a breath and come back to reality. 

Keep in mind this is written by someone at the American Enterprise Institute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

They'd have to give up everything with rigorous IAEA verification on the ground.   Planned reductions over a period of time are fine as long as there are firm stages.  I'd accept withdrawal of ours from the physical peninisula, but not Japan.   Maybe allow them a peaceful nuclear power program if the terms are right to ensure no weapons capabilities. 

But it's cool if the hostages are freed 1st right?  How about the end of the NK regime and reunification? And US military bases in the places where both their nukes and paper-mache missiles used to sit.  There's a road. No simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night.

Just now, Caracara said:

But it's cool if the hostages are freed 1st right?  How about the end of the NK regime and reunification? And US military bases in the places where both their nukes and paper-mache missiles used to sit.  There's a road. No simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night.

There isn't going to be any reunification. That would be a death sentence for Kim. His generals would kill him. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

There isn't going to be any reunification. That would be a death sentence for Kim. His generals would kill him. 

He's trying to stay alive right now, or can't you tell.

He's not worried about his generals.  They're all worried about ours.

Edited by Caracara

7 minutes ago, Caracara said:

Of course the hostages coming home is a good thing in a vacuum.  But we aren't in a vacuum.  There is a significant negotiation happening and we're being represented by a mentally unstable moron.   One whose entire career has been conning people by repackaging shit as premium product.  And there is substantial history with NK suggesting that they are trying to take advantage of the dotard by passing off old bullshit as something he can sell. 

I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong.  Seldom turns out the way it does in the song. 

7 minutes ago, Caracara said:

If we get the hostages home, safe, and healthy, I will give Trump some credit but he should have never handed them a Summit unless the hostages were at least one precondition.

5 minutes ago, Caracara said:

I think you're giving that fat little 35 year old swiss boarding school, hermit king from a broke-ass country, too much credit, but we shall see.

He has a cadre of advisors who worked for his father and some who probably worked for his grandfather. They know exactly what they are doing. Handing sovereignty over to the South Koreans is probably not on their to do list.

Just now, David Dennison said:

He has a cadre of advisors who worked for his father and some who probably worked for his grandfather. They know exactly what they are doing. Handing sovereignty over to the South Koreans is probably not on their to do list.

Oh those guys.  They don't want to die either.

2 minutes ago, Caracara said:

You think we're being played?  Our commander in chief has the big button.  Goes to show you don't ever know
Watch each card you play and play it slow,

Of course we are being played. KJU isnt going to step down. Reunification is an impossibility unless he does. We arent going to attack either. Nukes out front should have told you. 

Korea may never unify. Best they can hope for is a future open and democratic north. Even then neither would truly want to merge with one another. The populaces are too different now. 

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The big assumption yall are making is that this reunification is going to occur under the SK govt. KJU wants to unify Korea under his rule. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They aren't going to. They know Donald Trump is bluffing. Just like everyone else on planet earth.

Not so much in saudi arabia, where there is sudden reform.  the donald has heavy duty support.  He's not bluffing with a stacked hand.

12 minutes ago, Caracara said:

You think we're being played?  Our commander in chief has the big button.  Goes to show you don't ever know
Watch each card you play and play it slow,

And we've got no chance of losing, this time. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

China wants us off the peninsula and more influence over South Korea.  

Now THAT I can see happening because everyone involved in this process knows that the president of the United States is an idiot. It's no coincidence that all of this is happening with a profound moron in the White House. This is the best opportunity for China and North Korea to get what they want. They, unlike Donald Trump, aren't stupid.

1 minute ago, Caracara said:

Not so much in saudi arabia, where there is sudden reform.  the donald has heavy duty support.  He's not bluffing with a stacked hand.

Everyone in the world knows that this is the best time in forever to take advantage of a momentarily weak United States. 

31 minutes ago, Caracara said:

We're not leaving.  We have the run of the place now.

We have the run of everywhere. It costs a ton, but it only matters if we step up. But we are all hat no cattle when China is concerned. We would probably sit by ans send sternly worded letters while they took Taiwan by force. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Uh, China still claims ownership of Taiwan and I think we’re still under Nixon’s “One China Policy” and do not officially recognize Taiwan.

Yep, but there is also the underlying assumption that we would defend Taiwan against invasion. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Pretty high when you consider all the proxy skirmishes. Do the Korean and Vietnam wars ring a bell?

There was a declared end to hostilities. That didn't stop the MIC though and that was the point the poster WTB was responding to was making.

9 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Now THAT I can see happening because everyone involved in this process knows that the president of the United States is an idiot. It's no coincidence that all of this is happening with a profound moron in the White House. This is the best opportunity for China and North Korea to get what they want. They, unlike Donald Trump, aren't stupid.

If the Norks are so smart how come their country is such a dump? Seriously, some of y'all are giving them way to much credit. They've pretty much proven they have no idea how to run a country and provide for their people. China is smart. And also shares a border with the Norks who is an ally. Yet the Norks can't seem to figure out basic countrying like providing electrical infrastructure and modernish agriculture.

8 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

They've pretty much proven they have no idea how to run a country and provide for their people.

Kim Jong Un does fine and that’s all that matters. They never gave a shit about their people.  Most of the wealth belongs to the military in NK.  

China uses North Korea for their own geopolitical objectives.  Why on earth would China ever allow NK to develop nuclear ICBMs? They could have shut that shit down anytime with a phone call but they didn’t.  And now the United States is capitulating with a Summit and who knows what else.

China is the big winner in this.  North Korea is only a pawn.

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

North Korea is going to say everything we and Trump want to hear. Trump will get tremendous amounts of credit.  North Korea will then cheat us like they always do.

Kim-Jong-il-Cant-Believe-How-Stupid-Ever

Where was this line of thinking with Iran and the last president?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Kim Jong Un does fine and that’s all that matters. They never gave a shit about their people.  Most of the wealth belongs to the military in NK.  

China uses North Korea for their own geopolitical objectives.  Why on earth would China ever allow NK to develop nuclear ICBMs? They could have shut that shit down anytime with a phone call but they didn’t.  And now the United States is capitulating with a Summit and who knows what else.

NK before the train ride to China: "Death to America!"

NK after the train ride to China: "Great America, Please don't invade us!"

Not weird at all

11 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

If the 2 countries are unified and democratic, it doesn't matter what NK does with their nukes.  South Korea has twice the population of the North so I don' t think we have much to worry about.

I think Kim understands that at some point, his family is going to lose control over the country.  Even if he keeps and iron grip, his sons or grandsons will eventually lose and his entire family probably ends up dead.  He was educated in the West and knows how fucked up his country is even if his people don't.  If he exits now, he's go down in history like Gorbachev instead of a Gaddafi or Saddam.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That is the most twisted partisan view you could possibly have.

China is losing North Korea as a buffer.  Japan and South Korea are the biggest winners.  The South now has a huge military arsenal on their north border to defend against Chinese invasions.

5 minutes ago, Amobie said:

If the 2 countries are unified and democratic, it doesn't matter what NK does with their nukes.  South Korea has twice the population of the North so I don' t think we have much to worry about.

I think Kim understands that at some point, his family is going to lose control over the country.  Even if he keeps and iron grip, his sons or grandsons will eventually lose and his entire family probably ends up dead.  He was educated in the West and knows how fucked up his country is even if his people don't.  If he exits now, he's go down in history like Gorbachev instead of a Gaddafi or Saddam.

Oh, you're DSA.  Still pushing laughable propaganda, I see. 

20 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Oh, you're DSA.  Still pushing laughable propaganda, I see. 

What the fuck are you talking about?  This shit is all over the news that the North wants to reunify with the South.  Considering it's a 2:1 population ratio in favor of the South, are you really that stupid to think Kim thinks he will win an election?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/01/north-koreans-speak-hope-unification-propaganda-speakers-dismantled/

“Right now you can just stop anywhere and hear talk of unification all around you”

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/03/north-korea-seeks-closer-south-korea-ties-reunification-180306062814201.html

They are saying their goal is unification.  That's a fact, not some tinfoil hatter response.

Edited by Amobie

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If the Norks are so smart how come their country is such a dump? Seriously, some of y'all are giving them way to much credit. They've pretty much proven they have no idea how to run a country and provide for their people. China is smart. And also shares a border with the Norks who is an ally. Yet the Norks can't seem to figure out basic countrying like providing electrical infrastructure and modernish agriculture.

Dictatorships. How do they work?

The Kim family has held an iron grip on power for seventy years. You're judging by the wrong criteria. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, China would be completely on board with unified free and open democratic Korea.

/sarcasm 

Then we should probably do our best to try and encourage it right?  It would be a big shift in the balance of power in our favor.