Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 12/31/2023 at 9:15 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

He's making a joke. Dickel came out with a much hyped, well priced, 13 year old BiB a few years back, and it tasted like Flintstone vitamins. People weren't pleased. 

It ruined Dickel as a brand for me. I'll try it again if they ever start giving it away it to people. 

That first year (‘19 or ‘20?) of the 13 was straight trash, but the subsequent 11 was actually pretty great.  For a double digit bourbon the price is insane and I’m glad it exists.  The Blue Note 17 year picks are still the Dickel high water mark for me.  

Secondary on it is anywhere from $7500-$10k. A buddy of mine in New Braunfels got one last year and I was lucky enough to try it. It’s very good, no doubt, but we also had ER17 with it and I preferred ER17. 

Edited by Yev Kassem

15 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Long time no SFTB, it’s been open for years and is better than I remembered.  Or maybe I just haven’t been drinking much BT lately and the cherry note is making a comeback.  

IMG_0616.jpeg

It's a great pour and prices seem to be going down. 

I don't get it. SFTB could be in the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and no one would bat an eye. 

56 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's a great pour and prices seem to be going down. 

I don't get it. SFTB could be in the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and no one would bat an eye. 

Nah, it’s more like EH Taylor Barrel Proof or Stagg Jr in quality, age and taste.  

12 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’ve heard good things about that Old Overholt 10. Specs has had plenty of it in the shelf recently, so that’s promising. 

USC's review was far superior to my own. It's pretty good. It'd be a banger in the $50-60 range. Beam is pricing their premium stuff pretty high when compared to their competitors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’ve heard good things about that Old Overholt 10. Specs has had plenty of it in the shelf recently, so that’s promising. 

It’s good, but I can’t wrap my head around it winning blind against the Parker’s.  I tried the Overholt later against Pikesville and would say that’s a very slight drop off for half the retail price.  

I didn’t love the special release Jack Barrel Proof Rye, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt because my palate is definitely not always aligned with the average American on rye. 

It’s good, but I can’t wrap my head around it winning blind against the Parker’s.  I tried the Overholt later against Pikesville and would say that’s a very slight drop off for half the retail price.  

I didn’t love the special release Jack Barrel Proof Rye, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt because my palate is definitely not always aligned with the average American on rye. 

We were shocked as well.
Beauty of a blind.

Impromptu tasting tonight:

IMG_1723.thumb.jpeg.21c721d96ea8310a574e8587cf76abca.jpegIMG_1724.thumb.jpeg.5dbd1b9ea6305abe2862cbb4b69cf359.jpegIMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.aa5f68960dab6419b889a852cb305cdc.jpeg

I should have known better, but I love Prisoner Cab and I loved Bourye so I rolled the dice. High West Prisoner finished last.

My rankings: 

ECBP C920

ECBP C920

Bernheim BP B923

Bernheim BP A923

High West Prisoner

I wanted to rate the Bernheim BP B923 higher, but I couldn’t jump the EC bottles. It’s terrific. I should have bought a case at the Spec’s drop. It’s an unusual wheater that just really works. 

9 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I’m sorry, is that being projected onto the glass or is the glass a TV?

Quite the setup there…

mirror tv.  
I wish that was my setup.  My buddy owns a Home AV company.  You should see his media room.  it's insane.

• Like 1