Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

I’m curious why you’re mad at the guys that went to try and get a bottle of something they normally can’t get their hands on? It’s not their fault these bottles have become nearly impossible to purchase. Eagle Rare used to be my daily drinker, I haven’t seen a bottle of Weller 107 in years. I didn’t go up there, but I considered it. I get the ire at the big stores, but a regular guy just trying to find a bottle he normally can’t has you pissed off and calling them sheep?

I am not mad, I just don't get camping out for a bottle at $60-80 that you can regularly get for $20-30 more than that on secondary.  My time and comfort are worth far more than that.  You can get 107 for 100 all day every day on facebook.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

I’m curious why you’re mad at the guys that went to try and get a bottle of something they normally can’t get their hands on? It’s not their fault these bottles have become nearly impossible to purchase. Eagle Rare used to be my daily drinker, I haven’t seen a bottle of Weller 107 in years. I didn’t go up there, but I considered it. I get the ire at the big stores, but a regular guy just trying to find a bottle he normally can’t has you pissed off and calling them sheep?

I'm not hating on them, but it sort of is their fault. There's plenty of good bourbon at $40-$50, there's plenty of great bourbon under $100, and there's plenty of both on the shelf at most well stocked places without doing the dance for chase bottles just because they call the tune. 
People can do what they want, and if clout is what they want, clout they shall have, but I'm not playing. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Just saw some of the 10 yr cask strength today. $89 felt steep though

Half price relative to Parker’s 10 year rye and cheaper than any barrel proof 10 year Kentucky rye that I’m aware of. Seems like a solid value if it’s 75% as good as the PHC, which seems likely. 

1 hour ago, USCATX said:

Half price relative to Parker’s 10 year rye and cheaper than any barrel proof 10 year Kentucky rye that I’m aware of. Seems like a solid value if it’s 75% as good as the PHC, which seems likely. 

Look if we need to throw some money at this problem, I know a guy

54 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

what did that set you back?  standard old overholt was always one of the bargains out there.  way underpriced.

$104 with taxes. I ordered it online so our friends at Spec’s didn’t give me the cash or 6 pack discount. It’s ok for the price, not great. I think every Old Overholt fan should try it once. 

On the drive to family thanksgiving stopped at a couple distilleries and picked up two bottles I’m excited about: single barrel releases from Evan Williams and jack daniel. I generally have loved heaven hill bourbon and rye barrel selections, so that was a no brainer. I don’t really ever drink jack daniel black label, but their single barrel and special releases have been solid, in my experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:21 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Very solid. Definitely a B+ so far. Not hot at all. 

I just grabbed one so I can try it side by side with the Parker’s for science.  Based on the cases I’m seeing stacked up It’s looking like they aimed a bit high on the retail price. 

8 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I just grabbed one so I can try it side by side with the Parker’s for science.  Based on the cases I’m seeing stacked up It’s looking like they aimed a bit high on the retail price. 

Yeah it’d be moving at $60. At $91-96 it should remain reliably in stock. 

Still cheaper than Booker’s I guess.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah it’d be moving at $60. At $91-96 it should remain reliably in stock. 

Still cheaper than Booker’s I guess.

And cheaper than any high proof, double digit rye Kentucky rye on the market. It’s more in line with pricing on the 10+ year MGP ryes that are normally released at lower proof by NDPs.  

And the new $100 price point on Booker’s sucks anyway.  GTFOH with that price on 6 year bourbon.  

11 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Great thread but overwhelming for a novice. Any suggestions for a good bottle under a $100 for a gift that I can likely find at twins?

LOTS of options here.  Old Forester 1910 and Old Forester 1920 are well under your price point (around $50-$60), widely available and not only far superior to all but the very best Single Barrel bourbons but among the best bottles you can find, period.  I personally think OF 1910 is a little more accessible. 

If you want to go a little more expensive and ($100ish) and unique but not as consistently great, Jefferson's Ocean Single Barrel is a nice gift because of how they make it. 

@BigDHornfan's list is good too. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

Great thread but overwhelming for a novice. Any suggestions for a good bottle under a $100 for a gift that I can likely find at twins?

Agree with BigD on Old Forester 100. It’s terrific and really cheap. I’d buy that for yourself.

Old Overholt Barrel Strength is $91 at Spec’s. Pretty good Kentucky rye in a pretty nice bottle. 

The rabbit remains elusive. I think I received my sorry for the technical difficulties gift today. Michter’s 10, CYPB, and ETL. 

No complaints. The Michter’s office 10 is the second bottle they’ve sold me this year. But they’re very late on OF Birthday, and couple weeks late on MWND. I know Spec’s switched distributors this year, and I think we’re seeing the bumps in the road.  

17 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

I find it fascinating that brands have not zeroed in on a $99 bottle that is perfect for gifts. My specs would be something between 90-100 proof, 6-10 years old, and a handsome bottle.  That's it. 

There are lots of great tasting options from 50-75 bucks. Then it moves to around $125-$150 range. Barrell is in that $100-ish price point but it's all cask strength. If the person getting gifted a bottle is not a bourbon enthusiast, they're probably not going to properly enjoy or even pour a high proofer. 

6 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I know some here really like it, and I don't feel strongly enough about it to berate it, but I've never gotten the MWND hype. Even at its original msrp of $75-ish I wouldn't bite. Not even sure I'd bite at $50.

uh, I mean, I think it's good at MSRP, but I've got to be in the right headspace for it. 

I find it fascinating that brands have not zeroed in on a $99 bottle that is perfect for gifts. My specs would be something between 90-100 proof, 6-10 years old, and a handsome bottle.  That's it. 
There are lots of great tasting options from 50-75 bucks. Then it moves to around $125-$150 range. Barrell is in that $100-ish price point but it's all cask strength. If the person getting gifted a bottle is not a bourbon enthusiast, they're probably not going to properly enjoy or even pour a high proofer. 

Blue Run is pretty much there, though their availability isn’t quite wide enough where it’s dead simple to find. I’ve pointed a lot of people to that for gifts and everyone has been happy with it.
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 6:17 PM, RichUT said:

You have any intention of actually drinking anything on the top shelf or nah?

Do any of the most recent bits count? 

Eagle Rare (2)

GH Mckenna

Weller (regular ol green) 

Blantons

1792 (2)

Buffalo Trace (4)

I still like to find $25 gems that are as good as the over hyped and over priced stuff. And I would like it to stay available. 

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

bored waiting GIF

I assume the Parker's prevailed, but let us know.

It was kind of a beat down.  The Overholt is a way different profile with lots of rye spice and very alcohol forward with a non-distinct nose.  The Parker’s has more oak influence and complexity with an incredible nose.  The MSRP difference is definitely warranted and I’m not even sure you’d think they were such similar products if you tried them blind side by side. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1