Bourbon

Jimbaround

Anyone try aging their own whiskey?

Been reading forums where people are buying small charred oak casks (1-3 gallons), filling it with vodka and letting it age. Because the ratio between the surface area and liquid is much higher, a year in the small cask is equivalent to ___ years in a standard cask.

Experimenting is totally up my alley, but don’t want to spend $ if it’s gonna taste like crap.

25 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Anyone try aging their own whiskey?

Been reading forums where people are buying small charred oak casks (1-3 gallons), filling it with vodka and letting it age. Because the ratio between the surface area and liquid is much higher, a year in the small cask is equivalent to ___ years in a standard cask.

Experimenting is totally up my alley, but don’t want to spend $ if it’s gonna taste like crap.

In my experience, you have to rotate the cask once a day or it leaks. Yield is also very poor. You’re going to lose 30% to the barrel. 

If you want to dip your toes into experimenting, I’d suggest a mason jar, BT White Dog, and some charred staves. 

Most Whiskey Cakes have a cask on location. I’d ask them for tips. 

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Weller Millennium and OGD16 seem like they will be firmly in my wheelhouse… wonder how silly pricing will be…

I could see OGD16 being “attainable”. Knob 15 wasn’t extremely hard to find, and Knob 18 spent some time on the shelf outside of Houston. Many people won’t touch Beam. 

They could price Millennium like Double Eagle and it would still sell out. Agreed with BigD, the plebs will never see it. It’ll be a restaurant or bar only thing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slacks said:

Should I acquire this?PXL_20240502_223232322.thumb.jpg.2f8e82eaf90e2c411239fe0f8043ddf8.jpg

what batch is it?  whats the asking price?  its probably going to be a yes, no matter what your answers are. i've killed two of my six bookers just recently, only to free up shelf space.   i'm getting turned off on the higher proofs lately, but there is a lot of flavor in these.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

what batch is it?  whats the asking price?  its probably going to be a yes, no matter what your answers are. i've killed two of my six bookers just recently, only to free up shelf space.   i'm getting turned off on the higher proofs lately, but there is a lot of flavor in these.

Thanks

I'll have to look at the batch. I'm guess the price is around $65. I'll have to ask.

7b749bc479f6ce5bf91a4a30325c6be3.jpg
BFLT recommendation? Check. Breaking bourbon gave it a good review? Check. 12 year rye for $50? Check check. Well know you have my attention. Nose is really nice. Viscosity in the glass looks really good for 92 proof. First sip….I thought there was no way there was that much of a dill note. So I let it breathe. Nope. It’s still there. It’s not completely off-putting. But it’s definitely not something I’ve tasted so predominately in a rye. I’m a big Rare Breed fan and I think at this price point I’ll stick with the Turkey product. But I will continue to revisit this bottle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

7b749bc479f6ce5bf91a4a30325c6be3.jpg
BFLT recommendation? Check. Breaking bourbon gave it a good review? Check. 12 year rye for $50? Check check. Well know you have my attention. Nose is really nice. Viscosity in the glass looks really good for 92 proof. First sip….I thought there was no way there was that much of a dill note. So I let it breathe. Nope. It’s still there. It’s not completely off-putting. But it’s definitely not something I’ve tasted so predominately in a rye. I’m a big Rare Breed fan and I think at this price point I’ll stick with the Turkey product. But I will continue to revisit this bottle.

More for me. It’s steal at sub $50. The new standard is $10 per year in the barrel.