2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

Major League Baseball on Monday named Mariners outfielder Mitch Haniger and Brewers shortstop Willy Adames the Players of the Week presented by Chevrolet for the first batch of games coming out of the All-Star break.

This is the first time both Haniger and Adames have been named Player of the Week. Haniger helped lead the Mariners to a series victory over the Angels over the weekend, going 5-for-11 (.455) with a pair of homers, seven runs scored and six RBIs for Seattle. Haniger has now homered in four of his last seven games dating back to before the break, and he has reached base in 18 straight games dating back to June 25.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mitch-haniger-willy-adames-players-of-the-week

Stupid day games.

So, from what I'm reading Middleton gives up 5 runs in the first.  but Darren McCaughan in his MLB debut goes 5 innings and only gives up a single run and the Mariners lose 6-3.  That's a nice debut, though.  Maybe his nerves were calmer since the M's were already out of it.

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ha, announcer said Torrens gonna lock himself into the lineup if he keeps hitting this way. 

As long as he’s not catching I don’t care as much.  Raleigh with a HR is nice.

edit:  good lord that was a 444 footer into the middle deck.  He crushed it.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

I was too lit to type much else.  Kelenic took two key walks last night including in the 9th (he was the winning run on that wild pitch).   That at least showed something.  Better than swinging for the fences and missing.  Haniger, dude, Haniger.  2 HR's and another hit on top of that.  Dude is on fire right now.  Fuck the A's.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021/7/26/22593926/series-preview-mariners-54-46-vs-astros-61-39

Team Overview

Overview Astros Mariners Edge
Batting (wRC+) 117 (1st in MLB) 90 (26th in MLB) HOU
Fielding (OAA) 20 (4th in MLB) -9 (20th in MLB) HOU
Starting Pitching (FIP-) 94 (4th in AL) 112 (11th in AL) HOU
Bullpen (FIP-) 105 (11th in AL) 85 (2nd in AL) SEA

Welp. 

I’m pulling for y’all to catch the A’s and make the playoffs. Of course not at the Astros expense.  However it seems the Mariners success this year is smoke and mirrors. The record in 1 run games and extras is absurd and unsustainable. Will ownership make any trade deadline moves to improve that pathetic.offense? 

Edited by TonyTexas

To hell with pythagoras, wtf did he know? 

Its smoke and mirrors, for sure, but it has been fun.  Edit: as long as Torrens is not catching.  Meaning, I'll take the M's being over .500 this late in the season just about any year lately.

Will ownership make any trade deadline moves to improve 

I would be surprised if a drastic move was made.  One of the dumbfounding things all year is the insistence on sticking with a 5 man rotation, and if the 5th starter is hurt (has happened a lot), then yay a bullpen day.  Or some reliever gets the "you're the starter now dawg" tag.  I mention this because as bad as the offense is, this maddening insistence on a 5th starter implies to me Dipoto and company are going to ride the year out as is, mostly. 

Now, Jerry likes to trade, so trades will happen.  Will be they significant?  Eh...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m pulling for y’all to catch the A’s and make the playoffs. Of course not at the Astros expense.  However it seems the Mariners success this year is smoke and mirrors. The record in 1 run games and extras is absurd and unsustainable. Will ownership make any trade deadline moves to improve that pathetic.offense? 

Dude, don't come in here with all your logic and baseball stuff.  Let us live in our bubble.  Shoo.  Shoo.

• Like 1