2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's our Bill Self. 1 national title, lots of deep runs, lots of conference championships. 

Elliott might not win another national title but he's not going anywhere much like Kansas will never fire Self. 

Yeah, it's not like Texas sucks...we just suck against teams with the same talent level...so until Elliott ever decides to retire, we're gonna be stuck with him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Yeah, it's not like Texas sucks...we just suck against teams with the same talent level...so until Elliott ever decides to retire, we're gonna be stuck with him.

I know this is probably the minority opinion but that's the right call. 

As long as Elliott is close you have to stick with him. The idea we're going hire a coach that's going to come in and win multiple national titles is nothing more than wishful thinking. The odds of winning a 2nd national title with Elliott are substantially higher than hiring another coach that could maintain or even surpass Elliott's success. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I know this is probably the minority opinion but that's the right call. 

As long as Elliott is close you have to stick with him. The idea we're going hire a coach that's going to come in and win multiple national titles is nothing more than wishful thinking. The odds of winning a 2nd national title with Elliott are substantially higher than hiring another coach that could maintain or even surpass Elliott's success. 

No, I agree.

Elliott and his staff just need to change their mindset, their practice routines, their training, or whatever.... to improve individual and team ball control and passing.  Imagine what Texas would look like they had the same ball control and floor defense as TCU... Texas would be unstoppable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

No, I agree.

Elliott and his staff just need to change their mindset, their practice routines, their training, or whatever.... to improve individual and team ball control and passing.  Imagine what Texas would look like they had the same ball control and floor defense as TCU... Texas would be unstoppable. 

I guess at this point it's just wishful thinking.  Be interesting to see what the new dude at Furd is going to do.

9 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

No, I agree.

I still think Elliott will win another national title at Texas. 

I'm a big believer in talent wins. If Elliott keeps recruiting at the level he is he will eventually break through again. I'm not sure that says anything about his coaching/development as it would more than likely be because of talent level. But all that matters are the results. I don't care if Elliott is a shit coach and elite recruiter as long as it produces results. 

Edited by texasstrong12

55 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I agree. But I am wondering if an assistant coach change would help? Sullivan coaches the liberos and seems content where he is, but I wonder if Johnson will want to get back to being a head coach any time soon.

15 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

I agree. But I am wondering if an assistant coach change would help? Sullivan coaches the liberos and seems content where he is, but I wonder if Johnson will want to get back to being a head coach any time soon.

I believe Tonya's first gig as a head coach at Georgia Tech didn't go the way she had hoped.  That program actually went downhill with her in charge from what I remember.  I was surprised Elliott immediately promoted her to Associate Head Coach after Salima left to return to Pedo State.  

Caya's 19 kill match gives her 1,001 kills in her career.   Not unlikely she will finish in the top 10 in kills, considering she's at 1,001 now (168) and she averaging 416.5 per season so far.   If he stays on that same pace, she will finish ahead of Faucette and Eckerman after her RS Senior year.  Her k/ps so far would put her in the top 10. 

For all the shit she got last year, Shook is most likely going to finish top 10 in assists in her career if she remains the primary setter for 2 more years (much to our chagrin). 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Caya's 19 kill match gives her 1,001 kills in her career.   Not unlikely she will finish in the top 10 in kills, considering she's at 1,001 now (168) and she averaging 416.5 per season so far.   If he stays on that same pace, she will finish ahead of Faucette and Eckerman after her RS Senior year.  Her k/ps so far would put her in the top 10. 

For all the shit she got last year, Shook is most likely going to finish top 10 in assists in her career if she remains the primary setter for 2 more years (much to our chagrin). 

How do setting stats work? Is a successful set only counted if it results in a kill? If not, then her poor setting more than likely leads to longer points and more setting opportunities 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

How do setting stats work? Is a successful set only counted if it results in a kill? If not, then her poor setting more than likely leads to longer points and more setting opportunities 

Assist = passing the ball to a teammate that leads to kill. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

At minimum, Shook needs to finish in the top 2 for setting if she's going to be the starting setter all four years. No other Texas setter (other than Moriarty) was the starter for four years! 

1 minute ago, Aleemay said:

At minimum, Shook needs to finish in the top 2 for setting if she's going to be the starting setter all four years. No other Texas setter (other than Moriarty) was the starter for four years! 

Yeah I looked and if she hits around the same number of assists she got last year, she'll be just shy of 5k, which is where #1 all-time at Texas is.

Same issues rear their ugly heads last night.  Shook struggles and it becomes a tipathon until the other team puts it away.

Not sure about the MH rotation, I've seen Johnson murder the slide at times, just very inconsistent. However it's tough to hit the slide when the ball is set to the 10 ft line or even with the tape. I'm not sure I've ever seen Butler run the slide, seems like that would be a huge weapon in her arsenal.  Has she?  On the other hand she is still struggling closing out on the block.  Like Tstrong mentioned the block was really weak last night.

Edited by sunset87
formating issues?
  • Like 1

I took my nieces to the TCU game in Ft Worth.  The youngest is a 12 year old libero for her school team and a HUGE Longhorn fan.  When it got to 12-12 in the 5th, she said "They're so young and probably scared.  The need our support."  But as a kid she didn't want to start the cheer alone.  So she held my hand while I stood on the bleachers and we started the Texas Fight cheer.  Eventually a few dozen Longhorn fans joined in and we could see Petersen look up into the stands and smile.  Texas ran off 3 straight points to close out TCU.  I'd like to think we helped and it was all due to a 12 year old girl.

• Like 7

On 10/8/2018 at 5:42 PM, sushihorn said:

I took my nieces to the TCU game in Ft Worth.  The youngest is a 12 year old libero for her school team and a HUGE Longhorn fan.  When it got to 12-12 in the 5th, she said "They're so young and probably scared.  The need our support."  But as a kid she didn't want to start the cheer alone.  So she held my hand while I stood on the bleachers and we started the Texas Fight cheer.  Eventually a few dozen Longhorn fans joined in and we could see Petersen look up into the stands and smile.  Texas ran off 3 straight points to close out TCU.  I'd like to think we helped and it was all due to a 12 year old girl.

Welcome back. friendo.