Custom fit golf clubs

Please learn me the best place to pay good hard earned money for new ones.  I’m long overdue.

Quality/Service/Price etc.

A bit surprised there’s no thread on this but I did search.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Edited by smwhorn

https://www.bartoncreekfittingstudio.com/

I had an iron fitting back in the fall.  I hit the clubs for a few months and they were just not forgiving enough for me.  I went back last month and he gave me way more money back on a trade-in than I would have gotten at a retail store for those clubs and ordered me a new set,  which are great!  (Callaway Apex)

Really good dude.  Gonna go back soon for wedges and a 3 wood fitting.

I'm left handed and he had tons of new clubs for me to hit, which was surprising. He uses a trackman and the best part is you hit on the actual range at Barton Creek, not on a mat into a net.   

Highly recommend. 

So, for a few years my buddy had a custom club shop.  

People would come in to see about new clubs.   He'd have them go into the cage/simulator thingy, and watch them for a few minutes.

Then he'd tell them that their clubs were fine, and they should spend their money on lessons, because they suck.

Yes, he went out of business. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Excellent.  Thanks for the redirect.  Didn’t mean to waste a new thread .  . . 

I will say this, get 10 or more rounds under your belt so all the rust is knocked off from the off season.  Otherwise you will be fitting the wrong swing. 

I got fitted at the PGA Superstore in Dallas a few years ago and looking back I wouldn't do it again.  I mean I like my clubs but I don't think they really know what they are doing.  For example, they put me in some Volkey wedges last spring and I struggled terribly for the last 8 months.  My club had Titleist doing some fittings at the driving range a couple of months ago and I stopped by and asked them to look at my swing and the guys said I have the wrong grind/bounce for the way I swing.  They gave me the correct club and I have been hitting it way better for the last 2 months.  Makes me wonder about the rest of the clubs in my bag. 

Some public clubs occasionally hold demo days and if the rep is good he knows how to fit you. Wildcat in Houston used to hold demo days a few times a year and most of the mfgs were there. Not sure if they still do it. I don’t recall it costing anything. I bought a driver at one of them several years ago.

I always ask how good a golfer are you?  Are you buying clubs to be admired, or because your play is at the point where the main improvement is perfectly fitting clubs?  I am NOT saying that close to proper fitting is not important, as it is.  But damn most people have shitty foot placement and their grip needs to be modified, you guessed it... because of shitty foot placement. Before we event talk about that baseball bat swing. 😉

Basically if every dollar spent on New Golf Gear annually by most players was instead spent on golf LESSONS rather than new equipment... You could pay for whatever the fuck new clubs you want with your new found gambling winnings

Not saying not to go and get fitted.  Especially if you are playing with some hand me downs.  I had clubs made for me many, many years ago via some measurements and a guy putting together Golfsmith parts in his shed. Seems to me that the main thing is getting the length right.  Past that, it's really more your personal preference and what "feels" comfortable.  That's where getting fitted comes in.  Once you are properly fitted, then you can truly hone in a lot more on what style of clubs you want. More forgiving, heavier or lighter, type of shaft or whatever.  My only real suggestion is KNOWING what sort of club design you are CERTAIN you want.  Once you narrow that, then get fitted for the clubs you are most likely to love!!!  Otherwise you are back Waaaay too soon getting a new set that "feels" comfortable.   

Now if you guys are mid 70's and below scratch shooters (that don't massage their lies) then my advice may be useless. And you have already piled on plenty of lessons.  But I am about to start playing again.  And the first thing I am going to go do is take a lesson or two.  Simply so I do NOT start practicing with an improper set up, grip, and swing.  Nothing worse that getting comfortable with a crappy swing, and practicing it.

Edited by horn4life

This is all true, but I think becoming a better player is a balance of lessons, practice, play, and equipment fitting.  I can even throw in some form of fitness or stretching routine.

I have been playing for 30 years.  Played competitively as a junior, amatuer, and club golfer.  Was as low as a 2 handicap, now I hover around a 6-7.  Any time my game improved it was because I was utilizing all of the above.  Any time my game was going downhill, I could attribute it to one or more of the listed factors.  After all these years, the biggest factor though, is time.  You have to invest the time in the lessons, practice, play, equipment, and physio.  If you just want to eliminate some variables, start with the fitting, and maybe get a series of 4-6 lessons.

On 4/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, Gil Bang said:

So, for a few years my buddy had a custom club shop.  

People would come in to see about new clubs.   He'd have them go into the cage/simulator thingy, and watch them for a few minutes.

Then he'd tell them that their clubs were fine, and they should spend their money on lessons, because they suck.

Yes, he went out of business. 

Along those same lines. I play with some guys that can beat me with their clubs, and they can also beat me using my clubs. These guys ain’t pro’s, just really good club level players. It ain’t the fucking clubs unless you are an advanced player. Or were gifted with natural consistent swing talent and can hit a tour blade in the same spot time after time. It don’t mean shit what sticks you have if you hit everything off of the toe.

Otherwise save your money and play whatever you got. Oh, and buy more beer at the turn. Have fun, play ready golf, and no you’re not making the champions tour.

• Like 1