Smart Home/Office

Bevo

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Your husband too busy?

I saw this coming before I posted. Video cameras are the most important. I previously did the hard part setting up inside cameras for a wired system and running cables and then never finished the project because I didn't find it that important. Now it is.

The original system is probably outdated and I want to install something that will last and something that is comprehensive. I'm not very familiar with the systems available and if someone tries to break in, I want something that is easy to just hand over to the police or to attorneys.

I know ADT and companies like that will do this kind of work, but I don't necessarily want to do an expensive long-term contract. Maybe that is what I should do, though. I remember some posts from years past where people mentioned companies less expensive and better than ADT. Like I said, I don't know much about what is out there and figured I would try surly before cold calling.

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

I need to set up video cameras and maybe a Nest thermostat for a small office. Possibly alarm and door locks as well. Wireless is fine. Who in Austin can do a good job setting it up for me?

Because of this post I could only recommend the Best Buy geek squad. 

Since you mentioned a Nest Thermostat, why not just buy that and a bunch of cameras and door locks from Nest.  Nest Secure (the alarm) is no longer available, but I'm sure a system from Simplisafe or the like would work (just figure out what is compatible with the nest cameras or get the cameras that work with the alarm system monitoring).  All of that stuff is designed for regular people to be able to set up.  No need to pay an installer if you (or your husband) can use a screw driver.  The biggest pain would be running power discretely for the cameras and alarm, but that's more a time hassle than a level of difficulty.

Yeah Nest cams just need power they are plug and play if you video stored for a longer length of time pay them for the Nest Aware cloud service it is worth not having the hassle of owning/maintaining the hardware of the DVR and a wired setup.

Wiring the thermostat is super easy (even if you have a weird setup someone online has probably already done it), August locks are easy and Nest/Yale stuff looks easy enough.

Alarm stuff is hit or miss depending or what you want monitored or not, make sure it integrates with Nest and you’ll be good.

But again all of this is like a half day weekend project if you really need it done fast (or an all month project if you fake stretch it out for some away time from the wife/kids).

• Like 1

Are the Nest cams battery or low voltage or 110? Running low voltage is easy. Bringing high voltage up towards the roofline would suck. Battery would also suck unless they had a crazy long battery life. No one wants to bring a 20ft. ladder to the office to change batteries after work. Although, obviously if they are placed lower then it is not that big of a deal unless you have 10 cameras and the batteries last a month.