Texas Workforce Commission- Possible ID Theft

Wife got an email from employer HR saying she filed an unemployment claim. The paperwork came to the house yesterday.

But she is still working and never filed a claim.

Guessing there is some identity theft/ fraud issue. She filed out the fraud claim with TWC. There doesn't seem to be any activity on her credit cards or bank account, but not sure what to do next.

Any help appreciated. I've already told her no more buzzfeed quizzes.

1 hour ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, dcbc said:
Happened to me twice this year (state employee).  Our office caught it and I filed all the necessary notices and fraud alerts.

Was there any other places they were trying to tap in to? Just worried we're leaving something open.

Two of us at a Texas state court of appeals had it happen.  So it may have been an OCA breach. 

22 minutes ago, tchookem said:
26 minutes ago, dcbc said:
Two of us at a Texas state court of appeals had it happen.  So it may have been an OCA breach. 

OCA? Wife isn't a state employee if that's relevant.

Office of Court Administration.  They handle security and IT for all the courts of appeals, the TXSCT and the CCA, along with a lot of district court systems.

Do the locks & all the necessaries right now, then register on Credit Karma, & just keep an eye on your credit report. Or if any of your credit cards have free credit reports, use that. Watch for anything new that's not you. Life Lock & other monitoring is a waste of time. I got Life Lock after my SSN was stolen & someone got copies of my cc sent to them. They went out & bought a bunch of new electronics. Life Lock was somewhat helpful, but they didn't actually do much themselves - just advised me on basic steps to take on my own, reports to file, actions with credit card companies that I'd already done, etc. I cancelled after a couple of months and have been monitoring my reports for free with email updates from CK if anything comes up. No problems since then.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2