It's Been 10 Years - Hard To Believe

Wally Pryor

34,000+ acres.  Most destructive in Texas history.  Four deaths.  1,700 homes destroyed. Started Sept. 4.  Declared controlled on Oct. 10.   Moved underground later in October and was finally extinguished on October 29.

I remember driving east on Southwest Parkway that Labor Day afternoon and it seemed like you could see smoke in all directions.  I don't recall what other fires were burning outside of Bastrop but it wasn't the only one.

image.png.cc11f4210b9792b22c80d1f0df3db856.png

f714a08cfcbc6a19019d769f61de196f.jpg

wildfires.jpg

t1larg.roy.wildfire.deanna.jpg

• Rage+1 1

I was there. It sucked, but was wonderful to see the nation react. A few memories. 

Taking my son and a few members of his baseball team (little league) to deliver food to fire fighters from Alaska. 

Having 14 kids living in my house so their parents could focus. 

Seeing HEB show up to feed the schools before FEMA could think about it. 

Watching the Texas National Guard Blackhawks pull up water from the River. 

• Hook 'Em 3

If I remember correctly, that weekend there was supposed to a mild cool front that was supposed to blow through and drop us to under a high of 100.  The front fizzled out and the dry air made it in and we turned thing up to 11 with a high of 112.  Then the fires.

In Oak Hill area I climbed up on my roof and I see all three fires burning that day.  Bastrop looked more like a huge thunderstorm.  It felt like the end of the world.

I remember thinking what a delicate balancing act nature was in and that it was amazing that this was all from just a few months without any real rain.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

If I remember correctly, that weekend there was supposed to a mild cool front that was supposed to blow through and drop us to under a high of 100.  The front fizzled out and the dry air made it in and we turned thing up to 11 with a high of 112.  Then the fires.

In Oak Hill area I climbed up on my roof and I see all three fires burning that day.  Bastrop looked more like a huge thunderstorm.  It felt like the end of the world.

I remember thinking what a delicate balancing act nature was in and that it was amazing that this was all from just a few months without any real rain.

Had winds from the backside of a tropical storm.

I remember in August thinking, "Hey Autumn is coming soon. We've got new coordinators in Applewhite and Diaz.  It should be cooling down.  Things are looking up!"

Then 2% of my state burst into flames, there was a massive brushfire started by a truck dragging a chain just a few hundred yards from our home which was also on a wildfire-watch creek bed, we lost to OU 55-17, and I spent most every weekend either fighting off heatstroke at games or clearing charred brush around my yard before it too started on fire.  

We went back into a normal weather pattern a couple years later after Manny Diaz was shitcanned.  Not saying that's a coincidence, just saying.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I remember in August thinking, "Hey Autumn is coming soon. We've got new coordinators in Applewhite and _iaz.  It should be cooling down.  Things are looking up!"

Then 2% of my state burst into flames, there was a massive brushfire started by a truck dragging a chain just a few hundred yards from our home which was also on a wildfire-watch creek bed, we lost to OU 55-17, and I spent most every weekend either fighting off heatstroke at games or clearing charred brush around my yard before it too started on fire.  

We went back into a normal weather pattern a couple years later after Manny _iaz was shitcanned.  Not saying that's a coincidence, just saying.  

FIFY