Rental cars (or lack thereof)

tbone_

On 9/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Haven’t needed a rental car much over the past few months but when I have I lucked out with Hertz. Including a “panel van” for $50 a day which they didn’t have and put me in a new Hyundai for the same price.

Is that an upgrade or a downgrade?

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I waited about an hour in Philadelphia for a car on Saturday. They upgraded me at least. They were basically just giving people whatever came in. 

Man, these corrections in the market are slooow. Car prices are still high and supply low. Rental companies still have low inventory. Construction prices are still through the roof and stuff is still difficult to get. Gloves are in low supply and are costing me $65 a box compared to $10 pre -pandemic, medical carts are cheaper to purchase from the UK than from China because of freight...

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Man, these corrections in the market are slooow. Car prices are still high and supply low. Rental companies still have low inventory. Construction prices are still through the roof and stuff is still difficult to get. Gloves are in low supply and are costing me $65 a box compared to $10 pre -pandemic, medical carts are cheaper to purchase from the UK than from China because of freight...

A lot of this is a new normal, we just have to get used to it. Toyota is cutting like 250,000 cars from its production this year and next ... 

• 1 month later...

Any updated experiences? We're visiting our family in Austin for Thanksgiving, I'm supposed to be picking up a sedan from Enterprise at ABIA on that Monday (22nd) and now my wife has read stories and is freaking out that we're going to be stranded at the airport with a baby. I figure I'll call Enterprise this week and see if they are willing to give me any information on if they might fuck me, but I'm also wondering if we should modify our reservation to go pick up a car from the lot near Ben White? Although it may take a million years just to get a cab or an uber. This is going to suck regardless.

I would definitely book a backup.  Only speaking for here in Austin, but Enterprise has been the most absolutely drained-inventory of all the majors.  By far.  

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Any updated experiences? We're visiting our family in Austin for Thanksgiving, I'm supposed to be picking up a sedan from Enterprise at ABIA on that Monday (22nd) and now my wife has read stories and is freaking out that we're going to be stranded at the airport with a baby. I figure I'll call Enterprise this week and see if they are willing to give me any information on if they might fuck me, but I'm also wondering if we should modify our reservation to go pick up a car from the lot near Ben White? Although it may take a million years just to get a cab or an uber. This is going to suck regardless.

You’ll be fine. Airport has tons of cars and there are really on 2-3 rental car companies. They each have a bunch on brands. I.e National, enterprise and Alamo are all one company.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Haven’t needed a rental car much over the past few months but when I have I lucked out with Hertz. Including a “panel van” for $50 a day which they didn’t have and put me in a new Hyundai for the same price.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, Sawbonz said:

Is that an upgrade or a downgrade?

Well it's probably more difficult to abduct people in a Hyundai