2021 Texas TV Broadcast Announcers

Tex Pete

7 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Spencer Tillman seemed really interested in sounding smart, dropping an Art of War and other classic literature references. While calling a fucking football game. 

During the Texans broadcast last week, he said the new coach was the elixir for the team or some such. He’s trying too hard.

I prefer the announcers to be like a shut down corner.  Don't really notice they are there but know that they are doing their job.  

Idk who called the UCLA-LSU game but they did fine by me.  I thought they stayed out of the way and let the game do the talking.  Got in the necessary info without doing to much. 

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Not arguing otherwise. Just curious if someone really wasn't aware of who he is.

Couldn't remember his name last night.  Long day and some alcohol so brain wasn't working so good.  Don't worry.  You too will be and old guy like myself and Keith Jackson eventually and you too will know our pain.

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Tessitore and McElroy seem pretty middle of the pack to me.  It is better than Beth Mowins or Lowell or the SEC Network yokel crews. 

Putting aside Lowell, who I assume must work for free and clean the studio or something, or else I can’t explain why he still has that job, Fowler and Herbstreit might actually be my least favorite ESPN / ABC announcing team, which is unfortunate because they are somehow the number 1 team.  McDonough and Blackledge are so much better and should objectively be the A team. 

They need to switch Fowler back to studio only - he’s still not good at play by play, and he has had years to learn.  Herbstreit could actually be good as the color guy, but he’s decided to go all Dick Vitale, “My opinions are important!  Now listen to me say declarative things and lecture you about unrelated shit!”  - except he doesn’t have the energy, excitement, and charisma of Vitale, so we just get the annoying part without any benefit.  Which, come to think of it, I guess makes him more like a toned down Stephen A Smith or Skip Bayless.  

I agree with the criticism of Tessitore that he tries to wear too many hats and offer too many opinions, but I will say I kind of appreciate that he at least tries to bring some positive energy and hype the game without being so clearly forced and cringeworthy like Lowell.   Too many of the ESPN announcers give off a vibe that they’re too cool and act so critical or like they have some other agenda when they call the game.  Other than Tim Brando, the Fox crews at least act like sports are something to enjoy.   Gus and Klatt in football, and Gus and Bill Raftery in basketball hit the right notes.  

The same thing happens to ESPN in pro sports - TNT kills them in NBA coverage simply by acknowledging the audience wants to have fun watching the game.  And people watch the Fox NFL pregame where they joke around instead of the ESPN format of 50% fake heated debates where they pretend this is life and death and 50% nerding out.   I think ESPN must assume their live sports audience on the weekends and during prime time has the same taste as their 10:30 AM on a workday audience that watches Stephen A yell at people. I think they’re mistaken. 

Rack.  McDonough is one of the best in the biz, imo.  Agree that Fowler sucks as PBP and should be back behind the desk.  I like Tessitore but he was abeating on NFL maybe tried a bit too hard?  

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Awesome baseball announcer who happens to be a woman -- Jessica Mendoza

1218179_022416-kgo-jessica-mendoza-img.j

Good use of filter there, but she's been solid behind the mic. 

52 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

At least it's not that fucking Beth Mowins. 

If fucking Beth Mowins is wrong I don't ever want to be right. 

• Haha 1