Tell me about Philadelphia....or Chicago

closetohumping

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

There's not much of a difference between those neighborhoods. They're all full of rich white people (except for Naija in the West Loop). Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

But you're right in that a lot of neighborhoods have their own identities. The further away you go from downtown and the neighborhoods immediately surrounding the area, the more pronounced those differences are. 

What's your agenda, closetohumping? How old are your kids? Are you wanting to check out family-friendly cultural shit? Where are y'all staying?

Daughter is 7.  We just want to check out the city.  Definitely will do all the touristy stuff, but would love to check out the renowned food scene.  

Also, one day will be devoted to looking at houses.  Is there an area like Naperville (good schools, safe) but closer to Chicago?  

This all depends on your price point, but look at the following. They are very old burbs, but most homes are pristine and renovated. In other words don't expect a massive Lennar tract home. Taxes are a problem, so also something to consider in terms of appreciation as you get above $900k.

West Surburbs: Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, La Grange

Northern Burbs: Winnetka, Glencoe, Glenview, Wilmette, Highland Park

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe look at Oak Park? It boarders the Western edge of Chicago. I think it has pretty decent schools? Can't say for sure. It definitely feels like you're living "in Chicago". But there are some dicey neighborhoods on the other side of the city limits in Chicago. If I still lived in Chicago it's proximity to those neighborhoods wouldn't deter me and it's probably where I would look at living if we were to move back. 

There's a Chicago-specific thread with detailed restaurant recommendations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

This all depends on your price point, but look at the following. They are very old burbs, but most homes are pristine and renovated. In other words don't expect a massive Lennar tract home. Taxes are a problem, so also something to consider in terms of appreciation as you get above $900k.

West Surburbs: Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, La Grange

Northern Burbs: Winnetka, Glencoe, Glenview, Wilmette, Highland Park

Eh, here's where I'm screwed.  Wife prefers newish.  

At face value, Chicago is so affordable compared to the coasts.  But the property taxes, at least compared to California, helps close the gap.  Keep in mind with Prop 13, CA property taxes don't escalate.

Eh, here's where I'm screwed.  Wife prefers newish.  

At face value, Chicago is so affordable compared to the coasts.  But the property taxes, at least compared to California, helps close the gap.  Keep in mind with Prop 13, CA property taxes don't escalate.

You can always live in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Trip update:

It’s been great.   Downtown Chicago has everything you want……if you’re young and single.  Can it work with an elementary aged kid?   Idk.  Naperville is out.   Drive is way too far and the people aren’t quite the Midwest nice I thought I’d find. Also it is quite pricey for being that far away from Chicago. 

Downtown Chicago real estate is actually quite inexpensive.  The lack of appreciation is worrisome though as are the hoa fees.   As of now,  I don’t know if it’s worth a move

People from the Chicago suburbs are frequently (not always of course) assholes in my experience - in comparison to the average Midwesterner (Minneapolis people can be this way too).  There were a ton of them that went to Iowa, and a few that went to ISU who I got to know.

They always encounter anyone from somewhere smaller with this "bull in a china shop" attitude about their big city superiority and always act like they live across from Wrigley Field or the Hancock building when they live an hour west in Naperville or Mt Prospect or St Charles or wherever. 

The ones who ditched that attitude quick were a lot of fun.  The ones that clung to it were generally outcasts that would transfer to some CC or directional 1AA school in Illinois after a year or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 7:35 AM, 6th Street said:

All good areas. I'm also a fan of Old Town. And Wicker Park/Logan Square on the other side of the freeway are cool as well. Lakeview/Wrigleyville for getting sloppy during the day 

On 3/24/2022 at 7:25 AM, Mo Horn said:

Chicago has multiple authentic feels IMO. Every part of the city feels different to me. The Loop, North Loop, West Loop. Lincoln Park, Near North Side,  Gold Coast. All different, all authentic Chicago. 

On 11/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, naija said:

Naperville is not really Chicago, Chicago.

The winters here are cold, but I don't know about brutal. And I'm African. You will get hellacious days every now and then (though they truly seem to be decreasing in frequency every year), but one thing to realize is that this is a city that can still have a good time and function in the winter, unlike some places that just shut down. 

As for your budget, we live in West Loop, which while not downtown, is truly within the city. 4 bd,r just over 2,000 sq ft and was $800K. But that was a couple of years ago. Just got appraised and now $960K. I think you will be able to find something in one the various neighborhoods that make up the city. 

West Loop looking like the chosen destination.  It has the best public elementary as well.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:15 AM, irishtexan said:

Maybe look at Oak Park? It boarders the Western edge of Chicago. I think it has pretty decent schools? Can't say for sure. It definitely feels like you're living "in Chicago". But there are some dicey neighborhoods on the other side of the city limits in Chicago. If I still lived in Chicago it's proximity to those neighborhoods wouldn't deter me and it's probably where I would look at living if we were to move back. 

There's a Chicago-specific thread with detailed restaurant recommendations. 

I don't want to give the impression of being a yuppie or tech geek, but I think West Loop delivers the best of all worlds.  Solid food scene, walkable, close enough to downtown and most importantly it has a very solid elementary school.  Seems pretty active too.

Doesn't look like this is on the table any longer, but just to clarify in case anyone else reads this thread for reference, property taxes in Evanston are disproportionately high compared to neighboring areas because Northwestern owns such a large amount of the land but pays nothing in taxes. 

And when comparing train options, the Metra is generally a clean, calm environment with commuters minding their own business. There can be occasional troublemakers (generally dealt with quickly), but there are two Quiet Cars per train during morning and evening commute times where talking, cell phone use, etc., is discouraged, and even in the non-quiet cars, it's a pretty calm vibe overall most of the time. Routes are far more sprawling, but are generally limited to going in/out of the city. 

On the other hand, the L is more like a stereotypically urban subway where you need to look at the seat before sitting down because the last person might have pooped, and the puddle on the floor could be urine, and there's likely to be panhandlers and other assorted lunatics. It's primarily for getting around within the city, though it does have some longer lines than reach into some of the closest suburbs. 

I live in one of the few suburban areas where both are more or less equally convenient for getting into the city, but I would never choose a daily commute on the L over the Metra, while the L is almost always what I use when I am going somewhere for leisure. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...