Charlotte

Zepol87

Anything worth a shit? Land at 2pm so would like to find a decent sports bar if possible to watch some NFL games. Here until Thursday but looking for some dinner recs because one idiot that's local recommended PF Changs for dinner and we need to do better than that.

Edited by Zepol87

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Anything worth a shit? Land at 2pm so would like to find a decent sports bar if possible to watch some NFL games. Here until Thursday but looking for some dinner recs because one idiot that's local recommended PF Changs for dinner and we need to do better than that.

Like German-style beer: https://www.oldemeckbrew.com/

Like IPA's/Sours?- https://www.heistbrewery.com/beer

• Hook 'Em 1

Been 10 years since I lived there, so take these all with a grain of salt, though recent Google reviews still seem like my memory:

The Waldhorn is a cool German restaurant down in Pineville:  https://g.page/waldhornrestaurant?share

The Peach Tree is a farm over the border in SC that has wonderful fresh fruit, worth calling to see what is in season now. Summer is peaches, now should be apples? Great ice cream. If it's cold enough, they do hothouse strawberries that are ugly but are the best tasting strawberries I've had anywhere. Colder the weather, better the strawberry. If they have strawberries, reserve a gallon and make the drive:  https://goo.gl/maps/CeguH9Mg6CRn2czD7

Cuisine Malaya downtown used to be fantastic for Malaysian, the chefs were southern Chinese and also made fantastic Chinese dishes off-menu whenever I was craving something. They've since changed name to Malaya Kitchen:  https://goo.gl/maps/NRb3Ez6hqBFRd8cc7

Unfortunately, my fav Korean restaurant in town just closed, the owners finally retired.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2021 at 9:00 AM, Zepol87 said:

Reminds me of my recent trip to SLC.  Asked for recommendation and she recommended Chili's and Buffalo wild wings.  Sad thing is she was right.  That was the best available.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, Zepol87 said:

Lots of great places.  Just walk around on S. Tryon Street.  (Caveat -- haven't been there since all of the Covid clampdown -- could have adversely impacted some places.)

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Reminds me of my recent trip to SLC.  Asked for recommendation and she recommended Chili's and Buffalo wild wings.  Sad thing is she was right.  That was the best available.

Hits close to home. Last night was buffalo wild wings and tonight PF Chang's won. Tomorrow I won't have to be at the office after 3 so I'll venture out more and try to find something better. Best move so far has been getting drunk at hotel bar every night

• 1 year later...

Bump. Spending the weekend in the Queen City. Staying at the Midtown Kimpton and seeing a show at the Blumenthal Arts Center Sunday night. Made reservations for Angelines before the show.

I'm planning on hitting OMB for beer and wurst immediately upon arrival. Any recs for places to eat/ hang out, considering we have our 11- year old with us. Anything in NoDa? Thanks.

Bump. Spending the weekend in the Queen City. Staying at the Midtown Kimpton and seeing a show at the Blumenthal Arts Center Sunday night. Made reservations for Angelines before the show.
I'm planning on hitting OMB for beer and wurst immediately upon arrival. Any recs for places to eat/ hang out, considering we have our 11- year old with us. Anything in NoDa? Thanks.

OMB is down in Lower South End (LoSo), and is excellent if you like German beer.

Angeline’s is pretty solid, and upstairs at the Kimpton is Merchant and Trade rooftop cocktail bar. I have other Uptown restaurant recs if you’re interested

Closer to Uptown, I’d recommend heading to either north to NoDa or south to South End.

In NoDa, I recommend Heist, Salud (USA Today Best Beer Bar in America several years running, and James Beard nominated), and Divine Barrel. In nearby Plaza Midwood are Burial and Resident Culture. Optimist Hall is also close and has Fonta Flora brewery + a massive food hall. Botiwalla is from a Beard winning chef and not to be missed if you like Indian street food

Resident Culture also has a South End location with tacos by a couple from Austin, and Hopfly on Mint Street is also outstanding (great food truck Katsu Kart)

West of the city is the US National Whitewater Center, with loads of options for kids and adults. SUPs, kayaks, rock climbing, ropes courses, local beer, good food, and live music

Any other specific things you’ve looked into?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

OMB is down in Lower South End (LoSo), and is excellent if you like German beer.

Angeline’s is pretty solid, and upstairs at the Kimpton is Merchant and Trade rooftop cocktail bar. I have other Uptown restaurant recs if you’re interested

Closer to Uptown, I’d recommend heading to either north to NoDa or south to South End.

In NoDa, I recommend Heist, Salud (USA Today Best Beer Bar in America several years running, and James Beard nominated), and Divine Barrel. In nearby Plaza Midwood are Burial and Resident Culture. Optimist Hall is also close and has Fonta Flora brewery + a massive food hall. Botiwalla is from a Beard winning chef and not to be missed if you like Indian street food

Resident Culture also has a South End location with tacos by a couple from Austin, and Hopfly on Mint Street is also outstanding (great food truck Katsu Kart)

West of the city is the US National Whitewater Center, with loads of options for kids and adults. SUPs, kayaks, rock climbing, ropes courses, local beer, good food, and live music

Any other specific things you’ve looked into?

Many thanks.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I don't believe Merchant and Trade allows kids up there, but I'll double check.  

It looks like the OU game watch is at Pineville Premium Pub, which isn't too far from OMB. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Many thanks.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I don't believe Merchant and Trade allows kids up there, but I'll double check.  

It looks like the OU game watch is at Pineville Premium Pub, which isn't too far from OMB. 

@zlavydra Texas Ex here - this thread popped up on google alerts. I  have worked on Merchant & Trade's PR and you are correct, it's a 21+ venue.