37th Street Lights...

Guest Lobo

Need some of you Central Austin experts.  We used to go all the time and loved it.  But I need some logistical advice this time around.  Years past we'd either drive it or park blocks and blocks away and hoof it.

We've got the wife's parents and the two munchkins (6 & 2).  Her parents are real troopers, would never complain...but neither of them gets around all that well.  We can bring the stroller for the little one and the 6 YO can walk forever without complaint.  I'd like to do a couple blocks on foot to get the full effect.  I think driving the whole thing would take just as long and the 2YO would miss most of it because of how her car seat is.  So I've got to be mindful of her parents.  What's the best 3-4 block section of this thing to see this year?  And where can I park reasonably close to start/end with?  Maybe somewhere in the middle and then walk to 37th and do a mini-loop and get back to truck that way?  I know I'm complicating this but I need some inside baseball tips from y'all in that area.  I want to minimize how far these folks have to walk and driving the thing would mean one adult can't go and the little one won't see most of the stuff.  Thanks for any tips!  We plan to get there around 5:30 this evening to start before the real rush.  

1) Was yuge up until some time in the late 00's or so.
2) Then too many people died/moved/got sick of the traffic. They stopped it for at least 10 years if not longer.
3) Movement in the last 3-4 years to get it back by the residents.  By '18-'19 it was pretty good again!
4) Not sure what/if pandemic knocked it out but my understanding is residents are up for it.

I'd say 80% chance it's worth "lets get our roll on" and it'll be great.

Edit:  If you have a vehicle with a sunroof, that is absolutely the best way to see the 37th lights.  You can avoid parking/walking hassles (esp. for elderly/infirm/tots and below) and get the same overhead effect.  Kids go nuts, stick out of the sunroof and look at all of it.  Trust me on this.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

FYI---drove through briefly last evening on way home with the oldest.  Western half of the street is already well into it.  Eastern half looks like they're trying to get some stuff together, should be fun to see.  And a sign at the start that clearly states the "main attraction" will begin on 10 December.  FWIW.  

I think we'll go back one more time after that.  Seems like new turnover trying to get back into the swing of things.  

Funny you should mention that.  I was about to try to tell that story to my wife last night while we were in stop n go traffic to get thru the display.  But I just stopped myself because her gift for logistics and planning so far beyond any other woman I’ve ever met that she wouldn’t see any of the humor in it.   She’d just say, “you shouldn’t laugh at that.  There’s something wrong with that guy’s wife.  Now the children are gonna think lazy planning like that is acceptable.  You shouldn’t waste people’s time at the holidays.”  

then me, just sitting there all crestfallen, “but the driver of the shuttle trolley said……..shoot, forget it.”