Sean Payton Leaving Saints

4th&Five

The NFL salary cap is an illusion. Saints have been over the cap for years. Loomis knows how to make magic and kick that can down the road.

Just keep smokin what you’re smokin. $71m is not an illusion. It’s a real problem. They can keep kicking the cam down the road but eventually these players wear out. Go to spot trac and see if you can figure it out. And you have no QB.

49 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Just keep smokin what you’re smokin. $71m is not an illusion. It’s a real problem. They can keep kicking the cam down the road but eventually these players wear out. Go to spot trac and see if you can figure it out. And you have no QB.

Yeah, they have some serious challenges ahead.  They need to resign Marcus Williams, which is going to be costly. They lucked out in James Hurst being a solid replacement for Armstead. 

Loomis probably could have held off the end for another season, but with Payton retiring, the chances they trade Michael Thomas just went through the roof, and they will probably entertain offers for Kamara as well.  The big question is what they do with Cam Jordan, who is expensive and clearly on the back side of his career, but could be a big addition/trade piece for a Rams style win it now team.  

Yeah, they have some serious challenges ahead.  They need to resign Marcus Williams, which is going to be costly. They lucked out in James Hurst being a solid replacement for Armstead. 

Loomis probably could have held off the end for another season, but with Payton retiring, the chances they trade Michael Thomas just went through the roof, and they will probably entertain offers for Kamara as well.  The big question is what they do with Cam Jordan, who is expensive and clearly on the back side of his career, but could be a big addition/trade piece for a Rams style win it now team.  

Loomis has kicked the can already on many of these players.
Thomas has three years left at around $25m cap per year. He’s 28, so how far out do you push it.
Cam Jordan 32 with three years left. $21m dead cap hit in 22.
Lattimore is only 25 so you can likely restructure him.
Ramcyzk can be restructured.
It’s in the middle of the roster there are problems. Taysom Hill. $12m cap hit/$19m dead cap. What if the new coach isn’t in love with him like Payton was?

You can push that rock down the road only so long and then the bill comes due. Roster building and cap games are a big interest of mine so I’m eager to see how Loomis manages it. It’s either going to be a disaster or a fucking master class in cap management.

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Loomis has kicked the can already on many of these players.
Thomas has three years left at around $25m cap per year. He’s 28, so how far out do you push it.
Cam Jordan 32 with three years left. $21m dead cap hit in 22.
Lattimore is only 25 so you can likely restructure him.
Ramcyzk can be restructured.
It’s in the middle of the roster there are problems. Taysom Hill. $12m cap hit/$19m dead cap. What if the new coach isn’t in love with him like Payton was?

You can push that rock down the road only so long and then the bill comes due. Roster building and cap games are a big interest of mine so I’m eager to see how Loomis manages it. It’s either going to be a disaster or a fucking master class in cap management.

Yeah.  It’s why the trading away those high cap hit players looks so attractive if you concede the next season is a lost cause given the lack of a QB.  

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

A lot of these are tough contracts to trade.

No player, contract, or trade exist in a vacuum.  If you are desperate enough to move a contract, it can be done if the player has value.  Michael Thomas and Jordan both have substantial value.  It just depends on how bad you want it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I forget Thomas is still on the team.  I've always been a bit down on Cam. Seems to make a lot of plays in garbage time and on first down but when you need to make a play on 3rd he's usually not in the backfield.

I don’t really consider him a premier pass rusher, but he’s very fundamentally sound. He does a ton of dirty work in the run game.  I think he benefited from Trey Hendrickson a couple of seasons ago on the pass rush side of things. He can get around average right tackles on the rush, but if you chip him or match up against an elite tackle, he does disappear as a rusher. For all the press he gets, he kinda plays the role atom Crowder did for us on those premium Texas squads.

If your a team in win now mode looking to bolster your DL, particularly against the run, I could see him having 2nd-3rd round value.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1