Sean Payton Leaving Saints

4th&Five

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, he's a smart guy, no fucking way he wants to work for Jerry again. All Jerry wants are worthless yes men at the helm. I bet Payton is laughing his ass off at how many people are running with this nonsense.

It’s not just that he’d have to be second guessed at every turn by Jerruh. It’s the extra layer of Stephen for the next 40 years that makes the job unpalatable for any established coach. Cowboys aren’t going to get anything but retreads and up-and-comers for the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Mark it.   Next HC in Dallas.

Not much difference in the records between Payton and McCarthy:

Sean Payton:                                      Mike McCarthy:

131-77 record                                      125-77-2 record

.630 winning percentage                   .618 winning percentage,

6 division titles                                    6 division titles

8-7 playoff record                               10-8 playoff record

3 NFC title games                               4 NFC title games

1 Super Bowl ring                                1 Super Bowl ring

Payton lived off of Drw Brees. McCarthy lived off of Rodgers.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Asterisk for the Rams playoff game.  4 NFC titles and maybe another Super Bowl ring.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Wow, when you put it that way.

I honestly thought Payton's numbers were better than that.  

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's New Orleans.  It's the Saints.  His expectations were way lower.  

Saints in the playoffs before Payton:  1-5

Saints in the playoffs with Payton: 9-8

Saints division titles before Payton: 2

Saints division titles with Payton: 7

Saints seasons with less than 4 losses before Payton: 1

Saints seasons with less than 4 losses with Payton: 4

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Saints in the playoffs before Payton:  1-5

Saints in the playoffs with Payton: 9-8

Saints division titles before Payton: 2

Saints division titles with Payton: 7

Saints seasons with less than 4 losses before Payton: 1

Saints seasons with less than 4 losses with Payton: 4

Kind of my point.  Fat Boy did the same thing Payton did.  He just did it in Green Bay which only had insignificant history like a coach with his name on the ultimate prize in the game.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

Payton has to take some responsibility for the constant cap hell that is the Saints if he’s as hands on as claimed in personnel. No way this is all on Mickey Loomis. Saints are fucking $71m over the cap with no QB. That is beyond fucked up. Most of their big contracts have huge dead money numbers. No wonder he left; they will suck for awhile.

I think this season kicked the shit out of him between no QB, Covid, injuries. He sounded burnt out on coaching for a while. I think he’ll be in a booth and like others who do it not coach again.

• Hook 'Em 1

He probably had 3 or 4 teams good enough to win a SB and won one (fucked out of another appearance). I think the resilience of his teams the last 5 years has been pretty amazing. Absolute gut punches in the playoffs but they kept coming back. He also did an amazing job the last few years with Brees, who could barely throw it 20 yards downfield. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s not just that he’d have to be second guessed at every turn by Jerruh. It’s the extra layer of Stephen for the next 40 years that makes the job unpalatable for any established coach. Cowboys aren’t going to get anything but retreads and up-and-comers for the foreseeable future. 

That’s all anybody gets.
  • Like 1

I don’t blame him for retiring for a year.  The Saints need a total rebuild, are in salary cap hell, and the quarterback situation is terrible given the salary cap sit.  And they don’t want to lose Dennis Allen. Imagine what they could do if they traded away high cost players for draft picks expecting to eat shit and didn’t have to worry about winning next season?

Maybe he goes to the Cowboys, but I don’t think y’all really understand the Saints management structure: Payton and Mickey Loomis run that team. Gail Bentsen does not involve herself in any level of the the Saints football side of things. 

Not sure Payton is going to be interested in an involved owner/GM once he gets a taste of that broadcast good life.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Payton has to take some responsibility for the constant cap hell that is the Saints if he’s as hands on as claimed in personnel. No way this is all on Mickey Loomis. Saints are fucking $71m over the cap with no QB. That is beyond fucked up. Most of their big contracts have huge dead money numbers. No wonder he left; they will suck for awhile.

I think this season kicked the shit out of him between no QB, Covid, injuries. He sounded burnt out on coaching for a while. I think he’ll be in a booth and like others who do it not coach again.

The NFL salary cap is an illusion. Saints have been over the cap for years. Loomis knows how to make magic and kick that can down the road.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

The NFL salary cap is an illusion. Saints have been over the cap for years. Loomis knows how to make magic and kick that can down the road.

They borrowed against their future at the end of Brees’s career to keep signing and extending talent by adding voidable years to the Brees contract and paying him through signing bonuses that would hit the cap later. Then they decided to offer a big contract to gadget play Taysom Hill. I don’t put that situation on Payton, and I don’t blame him for bailing. The team needs two years to reset. 

4 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Not to knock Payton as that is in capable hands but it makes me ponder what’s the difference between quitting, stepping down, or as thread title suggests, leaving? A couple of years? More than a decade? Having to track Mack’s plane?

image.png.165bd38b8527edec09ae0dafbd74a012.png

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

They borrowed against their future at the end of Brees’s career to keep signing and extending talent by adding voidable years to the Brees contract and paying him through signing bonuses that would hit the cap later. Then they decided to offer a big contract to gadget play Taysom Hill. I don’t put that situation on Payton, and I don’t blame him for bailing. The team needs two years to reset. 

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle: Mickey Loomis is a fucking genius who has figured out how to make the salary cap largely meaningless, but they tied up a lot of money in Brees because he wouldn’t offer them a true veteran qb discount.  And there was zero reason to give the kind of money they gave to Hill and Andrus Peat while letting Trey Hendrickson walk that isn’t on Payton for falling in love with players that he couldn’t let leave into free agency.

Having said that, Payton is clearly one of the upper tier coaches in the league.

Edited by Bateshorn

4 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

He is under contract till 2024. If he goes anywhere before then it'll require compensation to saints

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How is he under contract if he’s not coaching for them next year? I don’t think they’ll be paying him millions to sit on his couch 

Edited by Pig Bellmont

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

How is he under contract if he’s not coaching for them next year? I don’t think they’ll be paying him millions to sit on his couch 

They have his rights. Just like if a player sat out he wouldn’t be able sign with another team. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:
6 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Wow, when you put it that way.

I honestly thought Payton's numbers were better than that.  

You act like those numbers are pedestrian or something. Among active coaches that is top 10 (#6 to be exact) and it's not that far off the #3 spot. Even McCarthy is top 10:

image.thumb.png.ea1a16b46451d2838f889173535ef264.png

To me 1 and 2 are outliers because of not much time as a head coach. But to reach Belichick's level, you're basically talking 1 more win a year.

Let's see where LaFleur and McVay are in 10 years.

8 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

You act like those numbers are pedestrian or something. Among active coaches that is top 10 (#6 to be exact) and it's not that far off the #3 spot. Even McCarthy is top 10:

image.thumb.png.ea1a16b46451d2838f889173535ef264.png

To me 1 and 2 are outliers because of not much time as a head coach. But to reach Belichick's level, you're basically talking 1 more win a year.

Let's see where LaFleur and McVay are in 10 years.

Yeah, number of games has to play a role when looking at those stats, otherwise it's just not apples to apples. Maintaining a high winning percentage over hundreds of games absolutely weighs more than just maintaining one over a few seasons. Pretty easy to argue Payton is #4 or 5 on that list. Of course, that puts McCarthy at #6 or 7.

15 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Yeah but one guy is considered one of the great coaches of all time by his peers and players while the other is ridiculed as a fat joke.

What is Mike McCarthy's signature coaching moment?

Payton won 9 games this year with....whatever that was at QB, and missing Kamara for a lot of games. If the Rams beat the 9ers in the last game, the Saints would have made the playoffs.

59 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah but one guy is considered one of the great coaches of all time by his peers and players while the other is ridiculed as a fat joke.

What is Mike McCarthy's signature coaching moment?

Payton won 9 games this year with....whatever that was at QB, and missing Kamara for a lot of games. If the Rams beat the 9ers in the last game, the Saints would have made the playoffs.

Not only that, but they lost two games early solely due to kicking.