As We See It (Prime Series About Autism)

UpperWestside

This show is just beautiful. It is somewhat difficult for me to put into words how awesome it is to see a show that is centered around autism. I have autism and it is milder than what is portrayed by these characters. The thing that made my day was the fact that all three lead characters are autistic and one of them had never acted in his life before this show. I can’t fully say just how cool it was to watch the first episode. I saw some of my own life in what happened in the first episode. Everyone with autism is different and I hope this show sheds some light on and educates some folks about what exactly being autistic means. I’m proud to be autistic and seeing this show just made me smile a good bit. I hope some of y’all enjoy it if you watch it as well. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 7

• UpperWestside changed the title to As We See It (Prime Series About Autism)

I finished this and there definitely has to be more seasons to come with this show. It gives you a little bit of everything emotionally, but the biggest thing to me is that having three actors with autism being your leads makes this show be authentic in a way that cannot be replicated by folks who are not on the spectrum.

I also want to say Sosie Bacon was fantastic in her role. So was Joe Mantegna as Jack’s dad. I also liked Dele Ogundiran as Ewatomi. Everything about this show is just cool. My mother watched this before I saw it and she loved it. If you have a loved one that is autistic or have a friend that is you will like this show. 

14 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I believe this show is somewhat based on that one from what I read.

It definitely is now that I watched it, and they borrowed quite a few plot points for the program, and left quite a few others.  Including the big guy behaving like a stalker, the girl getting in the car with a creepy random guy (I won't spoil), etc.  The dubbing wasn't the best but it seems they used autistic actors to voice their lines and it works.

I am not sure what the fascination is with 8 episode seasons is, but they should have done more.   

Oh, and I think only the big guy in this show has no prior acting experience.  I read about the leading lady and it seems she does.   

Edited by Nivek

I will certainly watch this.  It's been on my list since seeing the trailer.

My son has Autism, and is certainly more severe than the characters in this show.  Sometimes that makes shows like these tough to watch.

Parenthood & Atypical have been my favorites so far.

• Like 2

3 episodes so far.  Don't know  anything about autism.  

The show has a vibe of a long Modern Romance episode, and that's got some drawbacks, but I've decided to just surrender to it and I'm really getting into it.  Pretty emotional stuff.

Agree that the acting is just out of the park.  Sosie Bacon is a certain kind of archtype earnest co-ed.

Caveat:  Reason I watched this was I was scanning this forum and I saw "How We See It (Prime Series About Austin".  Didn't quite figure out we were in CA until the second or third episode.  Thought to myself, "why have they imported so many palm trees to Austin..."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1