French Open 2018

perfectchaos007

22 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Come on, Julia! 

that was a bad match.  came out tight and never got into a rhythm.  why she thought it was a good idea to receive after winning the coin flip i don't know.  serena's looking pretty good, turning defense into offense with the flick of her wrist.  still can't stand her game.

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thats a tight match. Sloane Stephens will get a tired opponent on Tuesday since they weren't able to finish today.

The young'n could be coming for Serena: (eventually)...

• Don't look now, Paris, but here come Madison Keys and Sloane Stephens

• Bonnie D. FordESPN Senior Writer

PARIS -- Madison Keys had the day off at the French Open Saturday but found herself immersed in a match nevertheless as she watched Sloane Stephenswrestle with Italy's unpredictable Camila Giorgi in a grueling three-setter, "living and dying on every point in the end."

"I saw [Stephens] in the locker room, and I was, like, 'God you made me nervous at the end,'" Keys said. "She was, like, 'You were nervous?' I always want to see Sloane do well. I'd love for both of us to be able to be in the position to play each other multiple times. I'd love to be able to get a win."

Stephens returns the favor, following Keys' path through tournaments whenever she can and sometimes texting her during matches with observations like "Come on, what are you doing?" she laughingly told reporters Sunday. "I think she's been playing well. Obviously in a Slam, she really gets up, so she's going to make whoever she plays play, and I think that's what's great about Maddy."

On 6/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, Napoleon said:

I'm going with the Argies, because I gotta.

Nadal
Schwartzman
Cilic 
Delpo

Cecchinato (bc cool name)
Verdasco (he's been hot and his wife is as well)
Thiem
Zverev

3 out of 4 on the first day... The Joker got me.

Vamos a ver el segundo día*.

*I picked 3 Spanish speakers and a Cilic.

I think if Serena was playing any other opponent, she would have given it a shot today. She knew her streak against Masha was in jeopardy not being at her best so she decided to duck her. She hates to lose but she would hate losing to Maria more than anything, and doesn't want to test her comeback form against her just yet. She'll get her pecs massaged and will be back on the court in a couple days preparing for grass season.

Edited by perfectchaos007

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I think if Serena was playing any other opponent, she would have given it a shot today. She knew her streak against Masha was in jeopardy not being at her best so she decided to duck her. She hates to lose but she would hate losing to Maria more than anything, and doesn't want to test her comeback form against her just yet. She'll get her pecs massaged and will be back on the court in a couple days preparing for grass season.

THIS!!!

Serena was going to lose to Sharapova and she knew it and she didn't want that on her record. I wanted it on her record and wish that she had played, but she's too proud to going in against MS knowing that she'd lose.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:19 PM, satyanash said:

On 6/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, Napoleon said:

I'm going with the Argies, because I gotta.

Nadal
Schwartzman
Cilic 
Delpo

Cecchinato (bc cool name)
Verdasco (he's been hot and his wife is as well)
Thiem
Zverev

Went 4 for 4 in todays' Men's Octavos so I picked 7 out of 8 of the quarterfinalists. If there had only be a prize...

And since no one else picked any, it's not like I beat anyone, but I don't mind going 7 of 8.

I now pick these guys to advance to the semifinals:

NADAL
DELPO
DJOKAVIC
THIEM

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Went 4 for 4 in todays' Men's Octavos so I picked 7 out of 8 of the quarterfinalists. If there had only be a prize...

And since no one else picked any, it's not like I beat anyone, but I don't mind going 7 of 8.

I now pick these guys to advance to the semifinals:

NADAL
DELPO
DJOKAVIC
THIEM

Thiem over Zverev will definitely be interesting. I also think Thiem prevails, Zverev has been struggling and Thiem has the H2H over him on clay (Madrid Open notwithstanding)

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

Cecchinato takes out Djokovic; that was one helluva fourth set!

He's having a career year/tournament. He's 25 and has career prize winnings of just under $1 million.  From Wiki:

2018: Breakthrough, Maiden ATP World Tour title and French Open semifinals

He won his first ATP title in Budapest, in 2018, where he reached the final as a lucky loser, having lost in the qualifying competition; he thus became the ninth player ever to win an ATP tournament as lucky loser.

At the 2018 French Open, Cecchinato came from two sets down to win his first grand slam match against Marius Copil. In the second round, he defeated the lucky loser Marco Trungelliti. In the third round, he came from a set down to topple tenth seed Pablo Carreno Busta. In the fourth round, he defeated 8th seed Belgian David Goffin in four sets to reach his first Grand Slam quarter final where he then defeated former champion Novak Djokovic in four sets: 6-3, 7-6, 1-6, 7-6 (13-11) to reach his first grand slam semi-final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Cecchinato

Schwarzman took the first set over Rafa. (I did NOT see that coming.)

The Schwarz is only 5'7" and the bounce on clay of Rafa's forehands is so high that I would think that short people would be at an insane disadvantage, so I thought that this was going to be a quick 3 setter in the 6-3 6-1 6-2 range.

Even though I didn't pick him, I'm pulling for the Schwarz to play Delpo for a trip to the final, but I still don't see it happening.

EDIT: Just saw that the Schwarz is also up a break in the 2nd, but there is a rain delay. This will help Rafa, I believe. When you're the underdog and have an advantage, you don't want rain killing your momentum.

Edited by Napoleon

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

EDIT: Just saw that the Schwarz is also up a break in the 2nd, but there is a rain delay. This will help Rafa, I believe. When you're the underdog and have an advantage, you don't want rain killing your momentum.

How the fuck is there always a rain delay at the best possible time for Nadal.

He's evidently perfected the rain dance

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

How the fuck is there always a rain delay at the best possible time for Nadal.

He's evidently perfected the rain dance

I saw a few points in the Delpo vs Cilic tie-breaker and Martina Navratilova said that Rafa was experiencing wrist problems before the first rain delay, but it was his wristband, not an injury. So he fixed that and came out and broke the Schwarz's serve, then held, the broke the Schwarz's serve again, and then Rain Delay #2. At that point, I'm thinking that the little Schwarz was praying for a second rain delay.

The positive for this side of the bracket is that the winners of the two matches will have the same amount of rest. The negative is that they will ultimately play matches on consecutive days and be much more worn out for the final than the winner of the other side of the bracket.

14 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

Rain delays may help Rafa regroup mentally, but wet clay/humid conditions do not favor Rafa and his extreme topspin. I think the best chance of him losing is a humid, overcast day with some light drizzling. 

Well that was today.

And after the first rain delay, when he was down a set and down a break, he was allowed to regroup, change his wristband, and he came roaring back and stomped the Schwarz in three straight games, including two breaks.

Tomorrow it will be warmer and dryer and the Schwarz is still going to be 5'7", so he should get stomped... unless Rafa's wristband gives him trouble again. (Ojala)

I think Schwartzman is well adjusted to being 5'7" and that doesn't affect him as much as you think. Otherwise he would have been crushed by 6'8" Kevin Andersen as well. Smaller guys are better at hitting the ball off the rise and not letting it get too high off the bounce.

Edited by perfectchaos007

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I think Schwartzman is well adjusted to being 5'7" and that doesn't affect him as much as you think. Otherwise he would have been crushed by 6'8" Kevin Andersen as well. Smaller guys are better at hitting the ball off the rise and not letting it get too high off the bounce.

To be seeded 11, he has to have adjusted, but Rafa on clay is a different animal all-together.

The kick of the bounce is so extreme, but he's so good, it's not like you just just move up to the baseline. I'm not a Rafa fan, but he's fairly good at the tennis. Especially the clay court tennis.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:29 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Serena's record is, what, 19-2 against Sharapova?   Can you believe one of those two wins was a Wimbledon final?

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

To be seeded 11, he has to have adjusted, but Rafa on clay is a different animal all-together.

The kick of the bounce is so extreme, but he's so good, it's not like you just just move up to the baseline. I'm not a Rafa fan, but he's fairly good at the tennis. Especially the clay court tennis.

I went the Ericsson Open the year after Albert Costa won the French Open.  Costa was playing Oliver Rochus that day.  I watched from the side of the court and was amazed at how the ball cleared the net by four feet, then bit down and landed within two feet of the baseline more often than you'd think was possible.  

Edited by Bullneck