Lines or scenes you wouldn't see today

Mo Horn

The Beverly Hillbillies.  Particularly in Season 9 when there is a standoff between Elly May and Granny against Jethro and the men over male chauvenism.  The Japanese culture is prevalent in 2 or 3 episodes.  Jethro begins to replace his L's with R's when speaking.  At one point, while answering the phone, he says, "Herro" and then proceeds to tell Jed that "Herro" is Japanese for "Hello".

I actually saw that MASH episode with the rape statement this evening. Interesting timing. 

I'm on a Slap Shot group on Facebook. Pretty funny private group which obviously celebrates the greatness of the Paul Newman classic. 

Most of the posts initiate loads of quotes from the movie. However, directly quoting several lines from the film have actually gotten a few members suspended for 30 days. 

Clearly some of that script would get edited out in the modern day. 

• Fuck You 1

A lot of this stuff could be made today. The context might be a little different, but people way overthink "PC" and "casul cultur." Blazing Saddles could absolutely be made today. It might be a little different here and there but it could be made. Stuff like that is everywhere still being made. There are only a few things I can think of that would not happen today and I think screenwriters wouldn't want to write that stuff anyways anymore.

1. True black/yellow face. Mickey Rooney playing a Chinese person would not happen anymore, and that's not a bad PC thing, just they way it should be. But even blackface can fly in the right context. Always Sunny did blackface and got away with it in the context of mocking racism and showing the true depravity of the characters. Sure Hulu pulled the episode but its still available and they are still going (i.e., not cancelled).

2. Date rape stuff from the 80's. I still think its weird as fuck that it wasn't considered problematic at the time, I guess people really were just raping each other with impunity back then as part of the sexual experience.

3. The truly racist shit from Disney and Bugs Bunny cartoons (and obviously elsewhere). And again, not sure why anyone would want to do that, it's not really funny in any other context than living in a society that universally feels that way. But again, it can be raised in context of mocking those types of tropes as absurd. South Park and Family Guy among others do that stuff all the time.

4. Casual mockery of gay/trans/etc. by a protagonist. It's just not acceptable anymore, and again, unnecessary for a character that is supposed to be likeable. It does still happen in comedic contexts though, in a way that highlights the absurdity (South Park again comes to mind). 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1