Lines or scenes you wouldn't see today

Mo Horn

Was watching an old episode of M*A*S*H and this scene came on. There's no way that could be shot today. Got me wondering what other lines or scenes from everyday shows would fit this category

Edited by Mo Horn

• Mo Horn changed the title to Lines or scenes you wouldn't see today

i watched thief a few weeks ago.  pretty straightforward michael mann movie.  made in 1981.  james caan's character was a pretty standard asshole with pretty standard asshole problems.  he was also a racist.  you could tell by the way he spoke, kinda just casually.

the funny thing is that it wasn't really part of his character breakdown to be racist, that's just how he was written.  the character could absolutely exist today, but the second he started talking, you would say to yourself, "oh, i'm supposed to know that character is a racist because of the stuff he said."

it's not just the productions that have evolved, we've been trained to consume things differently as well.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

image.jpeg.d51b959f9471907ce119142db430d5d4.jpeg

/thread

i watched this movie on VHS when i was in Shoal Creek back in '09. aside from the benzo withdrawals, watching that movie was probably the worst part of my stay. 

edit: although i seem to recall laughing pretty hard at the basketball scene. 

Edited by shadow_operative

22 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

image.jpeg.d51b959f9471907ce119142db430d5d4.jpeg

/thread

Gen X: "So it's a white actor in blackface for almost the whole movie because of a tanning pill overdose.  It's about him getting a Harvard Law scholarship only because he's black, even though its message is that bad stuff happens to him because he's black that wouldn't happen to him if he just revealed he was white.  And he also gets a biracial girlfriend during all this who laughs at him in the snow when he begins to turn white."  

Gen Y: "What the fuck?  I'm assuming it was widely condemned and pulled from theaters?"

Gen X:  "The protests gave it lots of free publicity.  It made $35mm on a $5mm budget, a 7x multiple which was really good back then."  

Gen Y: "What the fuck?  Well at least no black actors were involved with such a horrible picture."

Gen X: "Uh, you remember Sidney Poitier?  Well, alongside him as the pillars of black activism in Hollywood is James Earl Jones.  Yeah, he's in this movie."

Gen Y: "Was this in the 50's or 60's?"

Gen X: "This was the late 80's and almost everyone involved with the movie is still working today.  And the film continues to serve as a reminder to any old person who complains about P.C.-run amok in entertainment that they made Soul Man.  And most of us went to go see it.  And plenty of us rented it afterwards."  

I still laugh at the scene with the building super and Mark's friend Gordon. 

"Mark?  A black negro?  I had no idea.  Thank you for this information."  But otherwise, the premise and the humor hold up horribly.  

Archie Bunker:  They ain't gonna be happy here. What are they gonna do for recreation ? There ain't a crap game or a pool hall in the whole neighborhood. There ain't a chicken shack or a rib joint within Miles of here.

Lionel Jefferson: No ribs ? Lord almighty, what is we gonna do ?

• Haha 1

Counter argument.  Revenge of the Nerds involves a multi-racial and sexual orientation group of nerds and a strong AA national fraternity joining forces to defeat the evil running dog vermin that are the racist, homophobic, misogynist Alpha Betas.

The Mus helped too...so up with women.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1