Hogwart's Legacy

Michael Knight

That makes sense, especially given how quickly the day/night cycle goes, but it's also... I dunno, I guess there has never been a game with "sleep" where I have routinely adhered to a normal day/night schedule, but the lack of "nighttime" as a real thing is also unimmersive. Thinking about games like GTA where there are missions that take place at certain times, it is tedious and not what I want to do to watch the clock and schedule being at the right place/right time or maybe more specifically having not quite enough time to do something else but too much time to just wait But also, sneaking around the school at night is a part of maybe every single book, and independent of the lore it draws from it doesn't make sense that everyone's sleeping quarters are fucking empty in the middle of the night and the professors are often in their office. And you can wander into hogsmeade and alohomora the lock to someone's home and steal their shit and not an eyebrow is raised.

I was hoarding my talent points because I hadn't unlocked all of the spells yet. I had decided to focus on core and spells, figured I'd leave RoR alone because I'm not into plants or potions and would leave Dark Arts alone because I'm a good guy.

Then I unlocked crucio and gave it a try.

evil-dog.gif

I agree on the day/night stuff. Maybe they could have kept it where you can skip to day or night still, but have certain areas or chests that are only accessible while sneaking at night or something.

Early on there was the one mission where you sneak into the library past prefects and ghosts, but I've played 10 hours past that point and have never seen another prefect.

I also find it kind of funny that I can murder dozens of poachers and say something like "that'll teach them to kill these animals" or something, and then I immediately turn around and have to kill 10 of the same animals for the next unlock.

The unforgivable curses seem a little pointless after I've murdered 50 goblins.

Edited by Hawndoh

lol yeah, I just rescued a guy being held prisoner by goblins - "thank you for getting me out, I must be going. ah but you're just a student, will you be safe?" uh yeah bud I murdered every goblin in this building and turned 3 of them into chickens I think I'm going to make it but lets get you home

On 2/19/2023 at 2:25 PM, Js1 said:

38 hours. Game beaten. All challenges achieved (100%)

Animated GIF

I'm curious as to how the game counts play time vs. Steam on PC. My in game save says 47 hours, but Steam play time says 61. At any rate, it doesn't feel like I'm that close to done. I haven't done the last trial and I just now unlocked the last spell. 

Maybe it's because I spend so much time dicking around in the Room of Requirement and exploring. I might have a problem. 

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

That makes sense, especially given how quickly the day/night cycle goes, but it's also... I dunno, I guess there has never been a game with "sleep" where I have routinely adhered to a normal day/night schedule, but the lack of "nighttime" as a real thing is also unimmersive. Thinking about games like GTA where there are missions that take place at certain times, it is tedious and not what I want to do to watch the clock and schedule being at the right place/right time or maybe more specifically having not quite enough time to do something else but too much time to just wait But also, sneaking around the school at night is a part of maybe every single book, and independent of the lore it draws from it doesn't make sense that everyone's sleeping quarters are fucking empty in the middle of the night and the professors are often in their office. And you can wander into hogsmeade and alohomora the lock to someone's home and steal their shit and not an eyebrow is raised.

I was hoarding my talent points because I hadn't unlocked all of the spells yet. I had decided to focus on core and spells, figured I'd leave RoR alone because I'm not into plants or potions and would leave Dark Arts alone because I'm a good guy.

Then I unlocked crucio and gave it a try.

evil-dog.gif

There are a lot of little things like the stuff you mention that are kind of immersion breaking, but forgivable. Given that it's this studio's first foray into the RPG AND open world scene, I think they really hit a home run here. Their next title can expand on what they built and could be truly great. A morality system is basically mandatory for the next title in this series, for example, in my opinion. And you can bet this game will get multiple sequels considering how well it's selling and how well it's generally been received. Excited for that future.

As far as the RoR goes, I haven't used a single potion in the game other than the assignments I was given by professors, but I still fuck with the RoR a lot. When you get to the point where you can keep and breed all the beasts it's really cool, imo. Free materials to upgrade all your gear, too. It's not gay to enjoy feeding your baby unicorn ok? Fuck off!!!

The fact that the story in the game is extremely weak is disappointing. Everyone in this game fucking loves you no matter what you do, theres 0 conflict except with the bad guys and nothing you do matters to the story. Cast an unforgivable curse standing right next to professor frig, meh who cares. Rob every student and teacher no one cares, good job learning those spells kid! I'm a student but I only have to go to class like 5 minutes every week and can wander around the woods murdering poachers and no one says anything. Also I'm 16 and yet every adult is like yo can you go fetch me some herbs from that troll cave please? That said the game looks gorgeous and the open world aspects are cool minus some weird design choices like the broom controls on pc. The beginning is a cut scene slog but once the game opens up and you learn some spells its way more fun.

Edited by Michael Knight

I don't think the story is too bad. Of course I am still in the middle of it so that may change.

I also think the friendship story lines are pretty good. I like that each one has its own flavor to it, the Slytherin going dark, the Gryffindor after justice chasing a criminal, the Hufflepuff saving creatures and fighting poachers. Pretty well done I thought. 

I guess there isn't much of one for a Ravenclaw, except maybe astronomy guy.

The environments are great, the sound and music is good. The combat is engaging and feels great, although the plant weapons seem underwhelming and I never remember to take potions. I'm playing normal difficulty so maybe you need them more on hard.

Sneaking up to enemies and backstab killing them is satisfying, I just wish there was more of an element of sneaking around Hogwarts and avoiding teachers or prefects. But I guess detention is kind of silly when I'm all over the countryside on a murder spree.

The room of requirement and all the collectables are pretty good. The Merlin trials have some variety, they might get old once I really focus on finishing them all. I haven't bothered much with the broom racing, I have 1 broom upgrade done.

The only real disappointment is the lack of a morality system, which I know is very hard to implement. If going dark caused dramatically different main quest branches it would be cool. 

I'm around 35 hours in, I'm in Winter and waiting to start the fourth trial. Working on finding the phoenix at the moment. I think my collections percentage is around 50, and I'm still really digging the game.

Edited by Hawndoh

Be a goblin, fighting against wizard oppression, on sentry duty with your best friend. You hear a quiet swish, Bodrag goes silent, and where he was just standing there is now a barrel of TNT and it is hurtling through the air towards you.

I’m enjoying the shit out of this game but it did laugh at MK’s post. It is pretty stupid that I can do unforgivable curses in front of students and Hogwarts staff and there are just no repercussions.

Worst thing about the game for me is the map screen. It doesn't help that I have some pretty bad stick drift so selecting icons can be annoying. Wish they had a way to filter certain icons or quest locations.

Only realized recently that it's easier and faster to select various fast travel locations, especially in the castle, via the list on the left side rather than selecting on the map.

Still digging it though. About 20 hours in, through the second trial, at level 24 I think.

Edited by LonghornSean

Since each house has their own trial to get you to the Map Chamber, I'm on my third playthrough to get to the map chamber with all 4 houses.  Hufflepuff was my 100% completion, just finished Slytherin and now starting Ravenclaw. 

• 1 month later...