Income Tax Questions - Side Gig

George

My wife has been working as a makeup artist on the side for the last couple of years, and it's starting to pick up a little bit.  She keeps talking about everything being a write off, but we don't itemize our taxes (we rent our house so the way I understand it, we don't really have enough deductions to make that worth while), so I don't really know what we can and can't do from that perspective.

I'm trying to figure out what she needs to be tracking throughout the year, and if there is some sort of benefit that may be in play even though we don't itemize.  In other words, should she be keeping receipts for all product she purchases, track mileage, other stuff?  She's received 1099's from a few of the services she's contracted through, and she also does a lot of stuff direct with cash or venmo payments.

I just don't know where to start or what to search for at this point so I'm hoping to get a little feedback.  If more information is needed, i'm happy to share, pics and SSN excluded.  Any guidance is appreciated.

11 minutes ago, George said:

OK, cool.  So product assigned to her kit is an easy expense.  I assume she can also deduct mileage to/from appointments, as well, right?  Anything else worth considering?

I'll read up on the Schedule C.

She can expense her cell phone and internet.

• Hook 'Em 1